2019 Indian Chieftan

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MHaz01, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    No, I reject that. There's a huge difference between participating in a market and NEEDING to dominate it.
    sloryder likes this.
  2. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    Not everyone wants such a hard edged, narrowly focused machine. Who decides what "defines" a given market segment anyway?
  3. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Current 2015 Chieftain owner here and it took a short while, but I love the new 2019 style. Harley doesn’t own any style and neither does anyone else. The new style Indians are simply following the American bagger style that many riders in that segment want. Look at all the motorcycle genres and the bikes in those segments look similar. It’s called form following function. Personally I would love to have my 2015 Classic style Chieftain blinged our next to a 2019 Chieftain bronze Darkhorse... 7CF9D5E4-317D-40F3-80B4-51ABEEC5DAD7.jpeg
    EZMoney likes this.
  4. Dr. Breedlove

Dr. Breedlove Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A manufacturer doesn't need to dominate the market. It merely has to compete in some manner, shape or form. Now this is again speculation on my part, but it's all but certain that HD's streetfighter will be either much more expensive or much slower than the other entrants in the streetfighter field. There's no way HD will match the 177hp the KTM Super Duke delivers, and there is also no way HD will match the price point of the Suzuki GSX-S1000 (under $8K!). So what they will essentially be delivering is a 21st century version of the Indian Warrior.

If it were any other company, I'd hold out some hope. But HD has proven themselves impatient, unimaginative and, well...stupid. HD sunk $140M into MV Agusta. What did they get out of that? What were they thinking? Did they use MV's experience in high performance engines to their advantage? They did not. Damn, at least when HD owned Aermacchi they tried to market a nice little bike.

Hey, maybe HD will prove me wrong. But I doubt it.
  5. Dr. Breedlove

Oddometer:
    Exactly. So why is HD, who have proven themselves incapable of breaking out of the cruiser mold, getting into the high performance market segment? They effed up Buell, they effed up the VRod, they effed up MV Agusta. But this time they're going to get it right for sure! HD is the Bullwinkle J. Moose of the motorcycle industry.

That intangible thing called the "buyers". There is no written rule that HD defines the cruiser market. But it does. When a buyer thinks "cruiser", the image of an HD comes up. HD has powerful DNA here. Cruisers of 2018 have a direct design link to HD's and Indians of the 1930's.
  6. krampus von der fan

krampus von der fan This one time at bant camp.....

Oddometer:
    The new Chieftain looks nothing like a Harley. Look at the fairing profile. The Harley fairing is a good looking. The Indian is just ugly.
  7. djroszina

Oddometer:
    HD got blindsided by the global financial dielema and had to shed weight. They just acquired MV Augusta and had to sell it to offset their overhead costs. The American motorcycle market is now Indian and Harley. Most of those buyers won’t buy anything else, so HD just has to build a perceived better bike at an attractive price point over Indian in a given segment. HD has the lion share in the air cooled heavy cruisers at this time, but Indian is gaining. Indian is doing quite well with their water cooled Scouts, and HD wants in on that. The VRod was too long in the tooth for buyers in that market...now let’s look at that Livewire... ECB4D0B3-1798-4CCA-A202-035103D0A9A3.jpeg
  8. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:

I like this a lot, my commuter now is a Dyna Super Glide with upgraded suspension and brakes. If they get this to market under 20k with an honest 100 mile highway range it is my new commuter. The current electrics don't have the range I need at highway speeds, 80 miles round trip plus a few if I need to run errands.
    djroszina likes this.
  9. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    Whoa. What? So the Shadow line was an abject failure for Honda, because they didn't exceed H-D's performance? That makes absolutely no sense.

As for your second point, no, they are not. I see a hell of a lot of people that love the marque, getting into this bike, simply because it offers what they want in a bike, be that looks, or brand, or v-twin, or what have you. If your logic held water... we'd only see ONE of every type of bike on the road.
  10. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Disagree completely.....I don't give a rats patootie about Speed Triple, Monsters, Super Dukes etc. I want decent performance, suspension, comfort, technology in an American built standard, period.

It can be this HD or the forthcoming Indian FTR1200.
    djroszina likes this.
  11. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree on the Indian being uglier, but even Stevie Wonder should be able to see the similarities. :lol3

[​IMG]
  12. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I’ve owned Harley’s and I’ve owned Indians. The rounded lines of Indians translated into a bike that had a feminine feel. Harley’s more square(ish)...maybe sharper lines gave more of a masculine feel. These lines may be apparent or maybe subliminal depending on the individual, but for me the new Indian’s design and lines give the bike more masculinity.
    rauchman likes this.
  13. e.t.

e.t. Certified User Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll take the SG. Especially for the same money. Has anyone seen a MSRP for the Chieftain? I may have missed it, but I don't recall seeing any price in this thread
  14. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Trim level for trim level the SG and Chieftains are very close in cost.
  15. e.t.

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the gender part- but I agree with you on the lines and the contrast part.
  16. e.t.

Oddometer:
    I noticed the "points" cover in the pic above says 116 or 118. They want to start a displacement war, I am all for that. I'll give them props for trying to be a little bigger from the get go.
  17. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Comes standard with the 111ci.

Indian® Chieftain® Limited
    Thunder Black Pearl
    The newly redesigned Indian Chieftain Limited looks as good as it performs. With aggressive styling, modern riding amenities and throw-you-back power, it's the perfect way to announce your arrival.

[​IMG]
    Starting at $25,999 US MSRP

FEATURES
    Streamlined, Aggressive Style.
    Loaded With Premium Amenities.

Its extensive list of features includes a 19" contrast-cut front wheel, full LED lighting, a new gunfighter seat and the industry-leading Ride Command® system with a 100-watt premium audio system. Now with three selectable Ride Modes and Rear Cylinder Deactivation for customizable performance and enhanced comfort.
  18. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I'm so f'n sick of displacement wars!

I actually like my current RK a lot, but at what 1.7L I've had, uh, at least CARS with smaller motors.

Honestly I kinda wish my RK had the same Brembo brakes, maybe ABS, 6-Spd, etc.

But I'd be a lot happier if it was more reasonable in size...1340cc was fine and 700# was ok too. I didn't need the current chassis size. Hell I LOVED that my EVO RK ran on 130/90-16 wheels. That was more than big enough.

I almost bought a Guzzi Cali 1400 just for that reason. But it was big and long and had a ridiculous size rear tire too.
  19. Dr. Breedlove

Oddometer:
    Whoa. What? I never said that. Or anything close to it.

The Shadow line offered things in the cruiser field that HD didn't provide - Lower cost, better performance, better reliability. In fact, the Shadow 750 had as much hp as an 80ci HD. And thus it was able to compete. It brought something to the table. Something that the HD streetfighter will almost certainly not be able to do.

I don't know what you're saying re. "my second point". But no, there doesn't have to be only one type of bike in any market segment. But every bike in a given segment must offer something the others don't have in order to compete. The Diavel and Super Duke cost double what the Japanese bikes run. But they offer lots more hp and higher performance. As such, they compete.
  20. Dr. Breedlove

Oddometer:
    Kudos to you. You are part of the very small "buy American" market segment in that particular class. But I don't think there will be enough of you to keep these models afloat.