1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2019 Iron Butt ALL YOOPERLAND SS1K

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by IBAJIM, Jan 26, 2019.

1. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    @IBAJIM - this is really tempting - not likely I can make it. If you would, tell Rich that Mike Stephenson says hello. He certified me as a MSF instructor years ago. Ive long since stopped teaching classes, but certainly enjoyed the time I did.
  2. IBAJIM

IBAJIM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rich had the Econolodge add 10 more rooms to hold for the Riders since the first 20 that he reserved are booked. That makes a total of 30 rooms reserved for Riders. So there must be more Riders planning on doing the ride than the number that have registered so far ( nine ). There are probably some that are waiting to see what the weather forecast is closer to the ride date.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  3. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr. Henrion was my auto shop teacher back in high school and would give me his used Conti rear tires that I'd finish off on my Honda CB-360T. I'm on a Utah camping trip that weekend or I'd be all in!!!
  4. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got the official "go" from the wife, we will see when it is all said and done if there are strings attached. Called up the Econolodge and got a room, and plan to fill out and send in my registration tonight.

Question on the "matching ride pin", is there a Yooperland pin/patch? Or just a SS1K pin/patch?
    IBAJIM likes this.
  5. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IBAJIM,

Got my room reserved, so add me to the official list of participants.

Thanks.

-Mark.
    1oldsickle and IBAJIM like this.
  6. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Sorry, just the SS1K pin/patch.
  7. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    We have 12 Riders and 1 Passenger pre-registered so far.
    LeMaitre likes this.
  8. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This advice is solid for the proposed route. I have froze my arse off up there at a similar time of the year. Definitely plan for cold and or wet riding. It may not be cold only at night either. Brrrrr:eek7
  9. Titlerider

Titlerider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim: are there any areas of the route where gas stations are not open 24/7? I was wondering whether, after a certain hour, we top up our tanks wherever and whenever we see a gas station. Rich is an expert on that, he might know.
  10. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My experience from trying to find a DBR at the end of an Iron Butt last year was that the pumps were available with pay at the pump, even when the station store was closed and unattended. Of course that wasn't readily apparent to me after a 20hr day and I was swearing at google for lying to me about this station being 24hr. I was approaching panic wondering what I could do, and someone else pulled in and filled up despite the "Closed" sign clearly displayed in the window.
    Titlerider likes this.
  11. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    All of the Holiday stations in the UP are 24 hour
    IBAJIM, Titlerider and varnerju like this.
  12. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Getting gas won't be a problem. Like Big Bob said, all the Holiday's are open 24/7.

The mandatory stops in downtown Newberry, and the Soo are 24/7. Before Newberry, there is a 24/7 station in Ishpeming, Marquette and Munising.

Returning from the Soo, there are 24/7 stations in St. Ignace, Manistique, and Escanaba. So gas won't be a problem.

So, get the mandatory receipts - they don't have to be for gas and fill up when you need to based on your mileage and tank capacity.
    Bigbob1 and LeMaitre like this.
  13. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    We have 14 Riders and 1 Passenger pre-registered so far.
  14. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Just heard from Rich that 27 of the 30 rooms at the Econolodge are booked. No problem tho if the Econolodge is full - there are a bunch of other motels close by.
    Titlerider and Bigbob1 like this.
  15. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys have a great ride. Wish I could attend, but I have other plans. I will try to make the Great Lakes ride.
  16. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like I am not going to make this one. I made a ride down the Alcan to South Dakota the end of May to help the In Laws and my dang alergies flared up again like they did for the Lake Superior ride. Seems a bee sting near Pink Mountain triggered a reaction. I got home a week ago and was not in good enough shape to turn around and head out after a couple days. Something is triggering them in these June rides. I will heading south after the 4th of July to head back to the UP to see family. Jim, lets do a ride around all the lakes next July :clap

Have fun and be safe in da UP
  17. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that Bob. Hope you heal well and soon. +1 on the Great Lakes.... (But I planned to do each individually before attempting the whole gambit. Guess I need to get on my Huron and Superior plan sooner than later!)
  18. skeeter650

skeeter650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    aww dang - i didn't see this until just now. It's too late for me to plan to participate (kids birthday parties and stuff like that) but I sure would love to do a meet and greet before you guys go - is that sort of thing allowed? I'd also love to come along on the next one (if there is one)
  19. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a place that I can do an oil change in Iron Mountain? Planning on buying the oil in Iron Mountain so that I don't have to carry it.

Thanks.

-Mark
  20. skeeter650

skeeter650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have garage space near Randville if you want - when were you looking to change it?