1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2019 Iron Butt ALL YOOPERLAND SS1K

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by IBAJIM, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are riding today
  2. skeeter650

skeeter650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figured I was too late - i "watched" the thread but never got a notification of any new posts...
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  3. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    They should have started about 6am, maybe sooner. I think due to it all being two lane for the most part it will take most riders most of the 24 hours but Michigan did raise the speed limit a bit. When we did the Lake Superior ride they had taken most of the old 55 mph signs down but didn't have any new signs installed so we scooted along nicely :rofl
    How is the weather for the UP?
    GAS GUY and 1oldsickle like this.
  4. skeeter650

skeeter650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful weather in Iron Mountain today. They should have a great ride
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  5. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Due to other problems listed in the Iron Butt Adventures thread, I did not have time to do the oil change. Had a good ride Saturday, got done a little after 1:00 am.

-Mark
    sector7g and Bigbob1 like this.
  6. scrapper

scrapper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most riders were off between 4:45 and 5:00. Weather was good cold when we left around 50 out. My little group left at 5:00 and got back about 2:00.
    GAS GUY and Bigbob1 like this.
  7. scrapper

Oddometer:
    You did good on the old Honda nice job. I asked you at the first gas station how it was going and you said your clutch was slipping. Then we did not see you anymore. I was wondering if the old Honda made it. Glad it did.
    LeMaitre likes this.
  8. LeMaitre

Oddometer:
    Thanks for wondering,

Coming out the the first stop I decided not to push the speed. The TAC was causing confusion. It was not until I got up to Cooper Harbor that I realized the handle bars were not buzzing like they should for 7000 RPMs. The Clutch was OK. Finished a little after 1:00 am.

-Mark
    1oldsickle likes this.
  9. scrapper

Oddometer:

Nice work. Have you done much work to that bike?
  10. Bullen

Bullen n00b

Oddometer:
    Jim and Rich,
    Thank you so much for organizing this ride. The time and effort you guys put in is amazing really appreciated. I'm sure the photo requirement adds to your work, but it added a fun and interesting dimension to the fantastic route. You guys are not too far off from organizing an rally in our great state.

Thanks once again, and I look forward to your next organized ride.
  11. LeMaitre

Oddometer:
    Scrapper,

Most work on the bike has been external except for the carbs. It sat for twenty years under a tarp. Here is picture from when I got it road worthy again.

[​IMG]

It is still wearing the original rusted out tank and the old fairing that came with the bike. The auxiliary tank was put on while search for a replacement tank. The fairing was replaced with a slipstreamer. Tires, tubes and wheel bearings were replaced. Carbs were rebuilt. Head light swapped for halogen. Other lights replaced with LED bulbs. Chain was replaced. Driving lights added. Exhaust pipes and muffler replaced. You get the idea. The engine though has not been opened up.

[​IMG]

-Mark
    IBAJIM, GAS GUY and scrapper like this.
  12. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride Rich and Jim, thanks for getting it together.

Completed in about 20hrs, then a quick nap before heading home to be a family man. The only rain I saw was within a mile from my house, other than that it was sunny skies for a great ride. Now I just need to see about getting my top box bracket replaced. Thanks for all the suggestions when I was freeking out realizing the extent of the mechanical failure.

I posted my photos here, and I think the settings of the album let others add to it, so feel free.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ZFJKEEQUpgsLSuS8
    IBAJIM, GAS GUY, Dick Tater and 2 others like this.
  13. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the photos. I am bummed I missed it.
  14. scrapper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting the ride on. You both put together a great ride.
    IBAJIM and LeMaitre like this.
  15. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @IBAJIM Any word on the final stats? Official start count and official end count? When I talked to Rich just before I finished I was pleased to hear his services weren't needed, but there was more road for many out there.
  16. Titlerider

Titlerider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rich and Jim, thanks for organizing and supporting the ride. The lower speed limits certainly added time, more than I could compensate with pretty good time control at the stops, so it took 1.5 hours more than I had been aiming for. The next day, I was too tired to ride home, so I walked around Iron Mountain and had a great pizza at Main Street Pizza and ice cream at Neu Cup. Ride home on Monday had plenty of rain.
  17. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey there Bigbob, we met on your ride back from SD. You clued me in to Toad River as the most reasonable gas stop along that stretch, you mentioned this ride in the UP and we played “who do you know in Albert Lea.”
    Good luck with the allergies.
  18. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Hi Kevin,
    It was good talking with you. When we got back to Juneau I was planning on a 2-3 day rest and bike service but the old body said otherwise. I had been many years since I had a bee sting, my family reminded me of issues I had as a kid.
    I am heading out on the ferry on the July 4th after a visit with friends in Whitehorse I will be heading down the Alcan to go camp in the UP with my brother.
    Oh, My wife checked with her sister and Yes her girlfriends brother is your buddy from Austin. It is a small world :-)
    Hope you had a nice ride to Hyder.
    Take care,
    Bob and Karie
    GAS GUY and Powershouse like this.
  19. IBAJIM

IBAJIM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had pretty good weather for the ride. A little cool in the morning and at night returning, but no rain. The main concern was deer. I saw 5 in the morning and about 12 at night. Most were just feeding on the side of the road. 2 ran across the road, but no close calls. Trevor ( from Canada ) and I saw Arleigh & Pam in St. Ignace and they said they stopped counting at 35.

So, 30 Riders and Pam, the 1 pillion, started & ended the ride. A K1600GT Rider got back at about 10:30 pm and a bunch more about 30-45 minutes later after leaving a little before or at 5:00 am. Tevor & I started at 6:00 am and we got back about 3:45 am. We stopped in Negaunee for a pastie and at Hoppy's in Kenton for a burger.

Ishii finished on his Suzuki Burgman 200 after hitting a deer about 10 miles from the finish. So he will get a Yooperland SS1K cert and also an International Scooter 1000 Insanity Gold cert since he did the ride on a scooter of less than 300 c.c.'s.

Ishii_at_Dome.jpg After_Deer_Hit.jpg IBA-INTL-GOLD-LOGOsmall.jpg
    GAS GUY, varnerju, Dick Tater and 3 others like this.
  20. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear that Ishii hit a deer.