2019 Kaipara 600 Two Day ADV Ride.

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Adventure Moto, Sep 1, 2019.

1. DRG55

DRG55 n00b

Oddometer:
  2. DRG55

DRG55 n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this Hotel is booked
  3. Scol

Scol n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m new to the forum, but keen to get in on this ride. Do I need to do anything apart from book the accommodation and turn up ready to ride?
  4. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Nope, that`s it. If you are at the pub on Friday night we will catch up for a beer.
    Otherwise we will have a quick 5 minute briefing at the Mobil servo on Saturday morning before we head off
  5. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still trying to get on this.... Took my (UK) bike for VTNZ certification, only to find the utterly useless van-lines shipping agent decided on my behalf that it was an off-road ONLY machine and so didn't get it inspected by border control = no VIN in the NZTA system. Having to apply for exemption :( Still a chance though, and so still gunning to be there on Friday night....
    dazzadm likes this.
  6. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive almost got my ducks lined up to make it. Dont forget you may be asked for a current permit on Murawai Beach.
  7. Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    I will be working on the basecamp GPS tracks this weekend.
    So if anyone wants a Garmin GPS route send me a PM with your email address and I will reply early next week.
    For the first 2 rides I just used a self made route sheet ( didn't own a GPS then ) with road names and turning instructions ( no distances ) on A5 cards, so can also send those through to anyone who wants them.

And if you are riding on Sunday don`t forget your permit for Murawai beach. They are free and take about 5 minutes to get online. I have been told that the police regularly patrol the southern end of the beach on weekends. See link below for permit.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...riving-permit-muriwai-karioitahi-beaches.aspx
    Muzz67 likes this.
  8. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Just remembered Ive not booked the Inn for the Sat night. Just e-mail em.

I might be sleeping under a tree somewhere....
  9. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    Bah, close but not quite = I get my bike back on Saturday afternoon. I'd love to join in on Sunday; I can wait for you guys at the Helensville Caltex which is on your route? What rough time do you think you'll get there? I'll turn up early so not to keep you waiting, and maybe ride the reverse direction to meet you en-route.
  10. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Im booked in the dorm. Warning, i snore like a train.
  11. Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Should be at Hellensville at around 10.30am.
    If you were earlier you could meet at start of Tauhoa Rd & SH16 we would be there about 9.45.
    Tauhoa Rd which becomes Kaipara Hills Rd is easily the best and most spectacular road on Sunday.
    bigkuri likes this.
  12. Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Dargaville.JPG
  13. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    Thanks, will aim to get to SH 16 & Tauhoa Rd :) Or worst case the Helensville Caltex
    It'll be the first long run on this new engine, so if I'm not there don't worry! :)
  14. Toymotor

Toymotor n00b

Oddometer:
    A late entry from me as my other plans have been thrown out. Will meet up the team Sat morn. I'll pm for a .GPX. I'm a tight arse and use phone but will just convert for use in Google Maps.
  15. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    I use OsmAnd so it just dumps straight in. I gave up on gps devices ages ago.
  16. Toymotor

Toymotor n00b

Oddometer:
    If you have a copy could you send it my way please?

Eventually I might cave, but so far the spare phone can pretty much do everything a dedicated GPS device can do + more. Perhaps a jack of all trades where as a dedicated GPS is a master, of well, GPS'ing?
  17. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Pm me you're email
  18. Toymotor

Toymotor n00b

Oddometer:
    In case I forget to mention on Sat night, I have heard about through the grapevine of police presence on Muriwai beach over the Guy Fawkes period 2nd to the 11th.

"The Rimmer road beach access easement both top and bottom gates will be closed and locked at night between the hours of 6pm and reopening at 6am from the 2nd November to the 11th November due to increased fire risk over the fire works period. Please share so it’s no surprise for everyone. Increased security and Police presence should be expected from Muriwai north passed Wilson road."

This could be idle threats to full blown 'stings' they sometimes do e.g vehicle inspections, speed enforcement and catching people having fun, doughnuts and the like. Keeping in mind speed limit on Muriwai beach is 60km/h could be a slow ride.

Cheers, Dan.
    bigkuri likes this.
  19. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Yes this is floating around the 4x4 community. Seems they want to stop fireworks on the beach to stop fires.
  20. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Mark for another great run. Was such a good day, on way home cut across Port Albert, Tauhao Road, Kaipara Flats, Old Woodcocks,Ahuroa to Puhoi and Krippners down to Wainui, 650KM in total. Old BMW ran fine, less so the rider after 12 hours in the saddle, fell asleep during the footy.