2019 Key West -> San Diego -> D2D -> Prudhoe Bay on a Honda NC750XD

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Jul 12, 2018.

1. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride another 45 minutes East and you can stay at my place.

I'll be at D2D too so I'll give you directions.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  2. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    squiffynimrod, that would be appreciated and perfect. I just guessed my track home. 45 minutes is perfect. See you at D2D.
    squiffynimrod likes this.
  3. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    I have my trip to Prudhoe divided into five legs. My first leg is all within the state of Florida albeit two time zones. 1672 miles in 9 days. I begin in 40 days with a 836 mile trip to the starting line at Mile Marker 0 on US-1. I start my trip ... A Long Way Up ... to Prudhoe Bay.

Leg One March 22 - 30  28 hours 1672 miles.JPG
    Rapturee2, Dan Diego, leftleg and 5 others like this.
  4. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish I was along for that ride.
    However joining you for the Alaska trip will be awsome. I have put in an order for good weather and a massive mossy die off...
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  5. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the seat.
    gpax likes this.
  6. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Years ago I became intrigued by a BBC series ... Fat Man with Tom Vernon. We shared two passions. Bicycles and meeting people along the way. He rode his bicycle through France followed by a camera crew. Somewhat like Anthony Bourdain. I loved riding my bicycle and rode cross country. Tom had a girth similar to mine and was known as Fat Man on a Bicycle. I thought about calling my ride report, "Fat Man on an Adventure Motorcycle." However, I decided on "A Long Way Up ..." Farthest continuous road in the continental United States from South to North ... Key West to Prudhoe Bay.

JagLite, Motomantra and oldgrizz like this.
  7. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jade City is a gift shop , a bit further up the road you can camp and rent a canoe and see one of BC's most beautiful lakes , Boya Lake Provincial Park

You can also find free campsites along Dease Lake

I have 110,000 Klms on my 2014, NC750X ,it has taken me down to Ushuaia up to Tuk and back down here to Mexico , I suggest taking along extra wheel bearings ,forks seals , sprockets and chain . Mud ,miles and dirt wear them out fast. I like your gators and wish that I had them ,instead of having to use socks to keep the fork oil off my legs

A worn bearing can ruin the hubs on these bikes very quickly

Have yourself a wonderful trip
    Rapturee2 and JagLite like this.
  8. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
  10. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Let's say in the ballpark of 136 .... kilos. I'm not too fat. Just too short! Wow. You must have hit one hell of a pothole. I broke a SW Motech Rack on my V-Strom 650 after about 40 miles of rivlets on a gravel road. I hate it when that happens. Thanks for the advice.
  11. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    oldgrizz (from PG) is giving me a BC tour. He will get a senior discount at provincial parks in BC. I'll return the favor and get the senior discounts in Alaska.
  12. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    On my ride up the Pacific Coast I hope to get at least a windshield tour of Surfin' USA beaches.

In the song Surfin' USA, the following California surfing spots are mentioned,

"Del Mar" – Del Mar, San Diego County, California
    "Ventura County Line" – County Line Beach, Malibu in Ventura County, California
    "Santa Cruz" – Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz County, California
    "Trestles" – San Onofre State Park, San Diego County, California
    "Manhattan" – Manhattan Beach, Los Angeles County, California
    "Doheny" – Doheny Beach, Dana Point, Orange County, California
    "Haggerty's" – Palos Verdes Estates, Los Angeles County, California
    "Swami's" – Swami's Beach, Encinitas, San Diego County, California
    "Pacific Palisades" – Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles County, California
    "San Onofre" – San Onofre State Park, San Diego County, California
    "Sunset" – Sunset Beach, Oahu, Hawaii – or – Sunset Beach, Orange County, California
    "Redondo Beach, L.A." – Redondo Beach, Los Angeles County, California
    "La Jolla" – La Jolla, San Diego County, California

I've been to the San Diego County beaches by car. My son lives in San Diego. In fact my granddaughter plays Soccer for the Del Mar Sharks soccer team.
    RJ44 likes this.
  13. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    My new Joe Rocket Atomic motorcycle pants arrived. They match my jacket and are waterproof with breathable fabric (goretex-like).

I have been re-learning my gps and electronics. I have a GoPro and a drone I am learning. My drone is a “toy drone” Tello but it takes photos and videos. I also have a Fuji XP130 underwater capable camera. Easy to use and directly connects to my iPhone.
    oldgrizz and Tewster2 like this.
  14. Riverbud

Riverbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain, I have a 30 inch inseam and can almost flatfoot my Africa Twin with the Honda low seat in the low position. It's fine for shorter rides but I haven't had it out for more than a few hours at a time and I've got a long trip planned for May. I picked up a used Airhawk, event though it lifts me up a bit further I figure I can use it for the long days and if I get into any situations where I need the confidence to flatfoot I'll just take it off. I would love to have a Russell but I don't think it's in the cards for me either.
  15. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Expensive mistake for me (although the Russell DL seat is great )as the RDL puts me so high I can’t toe tip both feet at once. Replacing the RDL seat back with an OEM solved the problem. I have a sheepskin pad from Barb at Alaska Leather and move it towards the rear of the seat so when I come forward my feet reach the ground okay.
    JagLite and Dan Diego like this.
  16. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Trying to setup a YouTube channel for a video diary. Was going to call it Long Way Up but a movie by that title is coming out this year. My bad. So instead I am calling my diary / journal ... A Long Winding Road North ... Keys - San Diego - Deadhorse.
    LeMaitre, oldgrizz, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  17. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d like to see you tack on Ushuaia...just for fun!
    JagLite and Tewster2 like this.
  18. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    JagLite and LeMaitre like this.
  19. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    OMG. Wouldn't that be great? Or what? Not this year, however. This ride is stressing the bank enough. I am still paying the note on Rita. Tent camping and PB&J sandwiches is my plan to afford this trip.
  20. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    From my start step one. Filming with fugifilm xp130. The interface with iPhone was easy breezy. Also used iPhone 6s Plus directly. Used my ultra-light tripod. Took a long time to figure out the YouTube upload. Kept getting an error message. Finally got it uploaded late last night. You’ve got to start somewhere. Already see a bunch of improvements I can make. With this starting practice video, we can see if I can, in fact, improve.

JagLite and LeMaitre like this.