2019 Key West -> San Diego -> D2D -> Prudhoe Bay on a Honda NC750XD

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Jul 12, 2018.

1. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Not much new on May 3. Son is here (Pensacola) for his college graduation. Having Fluoroscopy Hip injection on Monday in hospital. Getting regular physical therapy appointments. Turns out I have a hip AND a disk problem. Hope this injection calms down my hip so I can concentrate on my back. Rode my Vulcan Voyager about 110 miles last Sunday and I paid for it on Monday. I am so missing my Alaska trip.
    Rapturee2, JagLite and screb like this.
  2. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can only imagine with all the planning you put into it. Do what the nice therapists say and best wishes for some pain relief.
  3. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep me as well.
    We will make it work sometime in the future
  4. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Greg, really sorry about trip (postponement?). I’ve had hip trouble too recently, to the point where I literally could not get off my bike while on a short trip, had to sit there about an hour before I managed. Good news is after injection and PT I’m back at it pretty effectively. Hoping for the best for your situation... you’re a pretty determined guy so I’m thinking this is only a postponement
    gpax likes this.
  5. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Fluoroscopic injection went well. Injection was relatively painless. Feels like a bruised ache after the first day of football practice. No sharp pain. Will take a couple of days to see it’s effectiveness.

I have an admore brake light system waiting for installation on the NC750XD. I have the NC reconfigured with all bags and side cases off. My Russell DL seat is in the closet while I rethink what to do. Went from tiptoes to flat foot by putting an OEM seat on the NC.

Not sure what I’ll do about my trip dreams. But I have the route memorized. My wife made me promise not to restart my trip this summer. She already reorganized “our” summer when I pulled up lame. My granddaughter has her 21st birthday in July.

I resume physical therapy on Friday.

Keep upright! Greg
  6. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    Keep getting better old friend.
    The road will be there waiting for you.
    JagLite likes this.
  7. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    95% of hip pain gone after the injection. If I had this before my first leg (Key West) I doubt I would have pulled out of my trip. However, at this point my wife has my summer rescheduled. My granddaughter turns 21 in July. My trip was planned before her party. When I pulled out my wife rescinded our regrets and we are going to her birthday party. Maybe Alaska in 2020?
    Rapturee2, JagLite, Tewster2 and 3 others like this.
  8. Pago Cruiser

Pago Cruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dam. Sorry to hear of your woes after all that superb prep.
    Don't know what drugs you have tried, but check out Celebrex - with a compressed spine and a hip replacement gone bad, I could not function without it.
    I can ride all day, but I can only walk maybe a mile - I consider that a superb trade.
    I have been on half the recommended max dosage for a couple years now.
    My steroid injections were supposed to last a couple months - did not last even a week - but the first part of those weeks were almost life changing, with no pain. But after three tries, I gave up and started working with my Doc on various drugs.
    As always, YMMV.
    Best of luck - but for what its worth, I would suggest trying to find something non-narco that works for you.
    Rapturee2, gpax and JagLite like this.
  9. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    My wife is back from Europe. She left the day after our grandchildren went home to California. Turns out that she and I both caught the crud from our grandkids. And hers spread throughout her cruise ship. They were calling it "the flu". I know it as one wicked cold and we both had to go to the doctor for prescription help. Anyways, physical therapy has helped my hip (along with the injections and Voltaren gel). I've been running errands on the bike but missed a club ride due to my crud and not to the hip. If my hip does not stay painless then we can talk about joint replacement. But for now, that is not on the table. My plan was to fly up to Portland on May 26th, pick up my bike and ride to Dawson City. Of course, my bike is not in Portland. If I felt as good as I do now, I would not have stopped. Unfortunately, I feel like I am in the eye of a hurricane ... just when you think the storm has passed ... then pow ... the other side hits you. So I am cautiously optimistic.
    Rapturee2, AK_Hoff, LeMaitre and 2 others like this.
  10. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your cold but very happy the hip is on the mend and feeling better.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  11. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    I am planning on finishing my trip in the summer of 2020. Thinking of picking up where I left off at the Alabama state line. Been riding my bike locally. Hip is 95% but I am still being worked on in Physical Therapy and I am not sure when or if the cortisone injection will wear off. Some of my hip problems are related to disks in my back getting old. PT helps my back. Oldgrizz will be 100% and we can just do it next year. I am already outfitted. Just add gasoline.
    Rapturee2, AK_Hoff, 68vette and 2 others like this.
  12. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    Sign me up GPAX.
    I am sitting in Kamloops now drownding my sorrow in a tall cold one. I drove the truck down instead of riding the bike. Every bike I saw on the road today I growled at.
  13. RodeoPhotog

RodeoPhotog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear your plans are back in the works. Us old farts have dreams just like the younger crowd! Keep on keepin' on!
    JagLite likes this.
  14. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^THIS.

GPAX your posts are one of the reasons why I am taking some trips this year at 48 that could maybe wait until later. I hear the voices of those who have gone before and feel like now, after my kids have gone and before the grandkids come, is the right time. I took a trip to Alaska last year and was (in retrospect) too sick to have gone. Don't regret it, even through the recovery and the lingering ailments. So I hope you get that trip in, one way or the other. And it would be nice (as is almost always the case with inmates) if we met up on the road someday.
    gpax, Rapturee2 and JagLite like this.
  15. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Una Stamus/Thin Blue Line Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just had to pop in and check on you G! So good to hear that you're on the mends and are planning for Alaska 2020! I too had to postpone my '19 trip to Alaska for treatments. I will be done with them and out of the research program in May'20 or before. Tewster has me talked into holding off a couple of weeks and meeting up in D2D'20. I will be leaving northern Idaho about June 13th-15th 2020 and taking my time heading up, stopping in Skagway a couple of days(where i went to Highschool). I'll be camping as i go and once there. Tewster said he'd save me a shady/dry spot haha! So looking forward to seeing all of you guys up there then! :{)
    gpax and JagLite like this.