2019 Klim Krios Pro/EXE

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Grizzer65, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Grizzer65

Grizzer65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered both a 2xl and a 3xl Klim Krios Pro/Exe a couple of months back and they came in today at my dealer. I wanted this helmet due to the weight and other options.
    What I liked--It felt really light, Fidlock Magnetic chin strap is nice, 2 visors one of which is a transition, pinlock system, looks of the helmet.

What I did not like----The liner and comfort. This liner is so thin it immediately rubbed by forehead. I took several other helmets off this shelf and the liners were much much thicker. It was hard to get off and on my head. The front chin vent has a tab that feels very cheap. It flexed while I moved the vent back and forth. I could see this breaking.

The helmet pro at the shop whom I know very well agreed with all this and has decided not to stock the helmet after he saw the liner and looking at the vents. I will be going with the Touratech Carbon 2 after trying both on. I currently wear a Touratech Adventuro Modular and it is too heavy after days on the road. One of my riding buddies and I had sore necks in the same area from the weight of it.

In closing I am disappointed with the Klim Krios Pro/exc. Whiz bang new green shell material does nothing if the helmet is so uncomfortable you would not want to wear it. I had high hopes but alas...
  2. Kingfish

Kingfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just received my Klim Krios Pro today in the Arsenal Grey color combo and while I have been only able to test it in-house, so far I'm quite happy. My size large weighs 3lbs 3oz without the peak & 3lbs 5.6oz with the peak. I have never used a transition visor but am looking forward to seeing how this one performs. The helmet does include a standard clear visor and the accompanying pin-lock. The magnetic chin strap is a game changer! One handed, you get that little magnet clasp close to where it needs to be and it locks-on straight away. A really clever design that I was enjoying while couch testing.

As for fit, I usually wear Shoei helmets. Currently wearing a GT-Air, had a Hornet in the past, every Shoei that I have tried fits me extremely well. I've tried a Schuberth C3, that seemed to fit my head comfortably. Arai, way too much pressure against the forehead and it felt that the helmet was not sitting down around the crown of my head. Same with the Scorpion AT950, I wanted to like this helmet, big bang for the buck. The Nexx X-Wed 2, fit with slight pressure against the forehead. It seemed to go away after wearing the helmet for about 45 minutes, enough so that I thought I could live with that helmet. But I sent it back because I was not only unsure if I wanted to live with an "Okay fit" and the chin vent system felt horribly cheap. I agree with what Grizzer65 says above about the Klim chin vent tab. The tab that is used to manipulate the chin vent open/close does not feel like the strongest of polymers, but there shouldn't be all that much force applied to it in order to move the vent up and down a .25" or so. But yes, it probably could stand to be made from more stout material for a $700 helmet. Then again, if it was a bit more stiff, it would lose its flexibility where a stiffer piece may be more opt to snapping. But on the Nexx X-Wed 2 that I purchased from Revzilla and eventually returned, when I went to push in the chin vent which is like a rocker switch, the whole vent piece popped out of the housing. Now I know it's supposed to come out in order to install the off-road chin vent, but the construction and mounting of that particular chin vent seemed incredibly cheap. I installed it again but it just felt like it wasn't in there real secure. And that's what will be coming on that Touratech Carbon 2 made by Nexx.

For me, it really came down to the Nexx and the Klim. I really liked the features the Nexx has to offer: Inner drop-down visor (not available on the Touratech version), interchangeable chin vents, Go-Pro mounts and a helmet I knew could fit (I had a Nexx XD1 previously). But the Klim was new, also had some really attractive features like the Koroyd material, multiple face shields included, magnetic locking chin strap and full carbon helmet. In the end, if your head is the wrong shape for a helmet, no matter how expensive or high tech it is, it just isn't going to fit. I'm not so sure having a "thin liner" is the source of the issues, as much as maybe your head was crafted by the great maker(s) not to fit the Klim. Fortunately there is a wealth of other helmets out there designed for all kinds of head shapes. For me, I'm very happy with the fit and feel of the helmet overall. Hopefully I can find some time to ride this weekend and see how the peak does in wind and how quiet (or loud) it is.

Attached Files:

Oceandiving954 and Gildus like this.
  3. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    I got the medium but the chin strap is too long to get tight. Unless having the serial number tag on the strap pulled far enough to go into the buckle is normal. Never had that happen before. Otherwise I love this helmet:raabia
    alex2448 likes this.
  4. Gildus

Gildus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new batch of Krios Pro helmets arrived to Klim earlier this week...mine arrived today.

Am very impressed with the fit and comfort...was worried the padding material might not be thick/firm enough but was pleasantly surprised.

If anything it felt on the firm side, which is perfect since it will get a bit softer over time. Didn't get any hotspots wearing the helmet for two hours.

I've been primarily using a Shoei Hornet and this helmet fits better and feels more supportive. Maybe I got lucky and it's just a great match with my head shape, but it feels like it was custom made for me.

And then there's the buckle...have tried other quick release types (sometimes more of a hassle than D-rings), but this one is amazing. Just get it close and it snaps into place.

Makes me smile every time I use it.
    Davethestick, Grizzer65 and Kingfish like this.
  5. Grizzer65

Oddometer:
    I am glad everyone thought the liner was just fine. Overall I really like the helmet like I mentioned before. I standby my comment that the liner is much thinner than any other helmet at the store. All you have to do is look at it.
    I brought in 1/4" adhesive foam and placed it under the liner and the my only issue with the helmet got much better. I am ordering 1/8" high density foam as I think it will fit better. I have a black one on hold at the shop and ordered the gray/black. I am buying one or the other. Once again what I liked was the weight, Fidlock strap system, transition shield, spare clear shield, the way the shield has really good detents to hold the shield open when I want it. I have several helmets and stock liners have been fine. The shape and size of my head is not the issue here. The "thin liner" in IMHO is something they can improve.
  6. Gildus

Gildus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My only complaint so far is the visor doesn't contact the rubber seal around the opening...there's a fair sized gap even when fully closed. Will be contacting Klim.
    Grizzer65 likes this.
  7. Grizzer65

Oddometer:
    I will look at this when I pick mine up. I had the same issue with a Shoei helmet. They fixed it and no issues since then. I think Klim is on the right track with this helmet but it could use some refining.
  8. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    If your visor get loose, check the metal screws that hold the plastic ratcheting mechanism. There's a fine balance between the position and tightness of the plastic ratchet part.

Post about it here in my Krios thread.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/klim-krios-helmet.1165013/page-13#post-31871038

https://advrider.com/f/threads/klim-krios-helmet.1165013/
    Gildus likes this.
  9. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tried on two sizes and found the paper thin top liner grabbed what's left of the hair on my head as the helmet settled on, then was OK. The idea of adding foam makes a lot of sense. Maybe to the EPS side? I may have to remove the top liner and have some silk added to the surface. Both easy to do. The rest of the helmet fits well for my head shape.

I want more protection from concussion and the green straws offer that with cutting the impact force by half. I've learned the hard way that EPS may protect from the steel guard rail entering the head, but as for energy absorption, it isn't what I expect.
  10. scubamsn 2301

scubamsn 2301 Scubaman

Oddometer:
    If you are 2xl the liner material has to be thin for the shell size that also is the large shell size. If you are a large then the liner will be thick. I will post for sure after my large comes in tomorrow.
  11. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:

Well then thats sub par,,,, arai, for example, has enough shell sizes for proper lining.
    2talltom likes this.
  12. scubamsn 2301

scubamsn 2301 Scubaman

Oddometer:
    Right so if my head was 2xl I would buy an Arai

If my head was large I would try the Klim because the pads will be thicker. However, I may not be happy with the overall size of the shell.
    2 SPOT likes this.
  13. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Purchased the Krios Pro helmet because of the added safety and found with a couple long days use to be a very comfortable helmet with a strangely convenient chin strap closure. I have a Schuberth head, one that found the Shoei Hornet 2 comfortable, and was pleased to find this Klim helmet to be much more comfortable than when trying on the helmet at the dealership.
    scubamsn 2301 and Gildus like this.
  14. wizze

wizze Wizze = Wise

Oddometer:
    Looking at the Krios Pro. Anyone have issues installing speakers from helmet comms? I read a review where they said there wasn't room for speakers but just trying verify if anyone else had a similar experience. Also does it seem the chinbar is too close to your face?
  15. Kingfish

Kingfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed the Cardo Packtalk Bold in mine without any issues. I would say that my Shoei GT-Air had a deeper recess for the speakers but there were no issues with the Krios Pro. The space between my mouth & chinbar vent seems more than ample to me. It's not motocross style room but it allows for a good amount of airflow. I'm super happy with my helmet.
    wizze likes this.
  16. scubamsn 2301

scubamsn 2301 Scubaman

Oddometer:
    I don’t use speakers I use earbuds molded
  17. Gildus

Gildus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree...plenty of room behind the chinbar.