2019 ktm 690 enduro ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by azur, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City, St George, UT & Seattle -
    So the leaked upgrades were- Re-designed seat/front fairing- Motor upgrade to meet 701 specs- Led lightning- It does appear the toaster oven sized brake light has been replaced by looking at the thread picture. Any fuel tank changes, still 3.2 or upgraded to 701/3.4 ? November still the full spec release timeframe ?
  2. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Led light in the small exc mask would be neat. I guess they also ditched the tach/speedo and went with the small non-tach one currently on the 701 and others.
    The 701 lump would mean the 690 gets a redesigned frame. Wouldn't surprise me if the bike gets the slightly larger fuel tank, rear end plastic different from current layout.

Us euro folks get the nice brake light, but over there? DOT might want to keep the toaster :lol3
    renogeorge likes this.
  3. Nw_adventure

Oddometer:
    Losing the tech would suck ! Lordy-
    BobcatSig likes this.
  4. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Off road I find that if you are revving a 690 then you won't have time to look at a tachometer.
    On road it can be mildly interesting but not really much more. To check that you are in top gear maybe :)
  5. Nw_adventure

Oddometer:
    I know- After a test ride last week I was like yeah it looks cool but I knew before looking what rpm it was at- But that stock KTM cluster looks so much better than the circa 2004 Suzuki gauge the 701 comes with...
    scot_douglas and Takataka like this.
  6. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    The most significant upgrades are the electronics.
    It does say "completely new chassis" in that photo.
    The tank does seem to look a bit different to the one on the 701.
  7. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    The first point on their sales blurb is modern off road looks. Plain to see where their and their customers priorities are
  8. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Have to look cool on the way to starbucks :lol3
  9. scot_douglas

scot_douglas Dirt Harley Lovin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's not fair, dammit! I mean, I try to take dirt roads to my Starbucks.

I totally needed my 690.
    78er likes this.
  10. maden

maden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why all the KTM hate?

I`m willing to bet that the "new" chassis is the same as the 701 with different plastics and more advanced electronics.
    The tank seem to be different from the 701. I say good since that is the worst looking part of the 701.
    The instrument seem to be the same as 701. I say good since I would prefer no instrument or lamps. I can read the speed from my GPS witch is in the way of the instruments anyway.
    Why would a quick shifter and MTC make the bike heavier? Maybe an accelometer in adition to what the 701 already has...?

The shorter suspension travel I suspect is a direct result of 80% of the 701 riders on this forum whining about it being to tall. I think there is a comment about couba link on every page of the 701 thread...

What we know:
    -250mm suspension WP xplor -> Probably best choice for most people. You can allways buy 300mm if needed like some 701 and old 690 owners have done. Xplor is supposed to be better than 4CS...
    -More electronics: MTC, lean sensitive ABS -> Problem is that ABS is now mandatory, KTM has to add it. 701 also has ABS. The new more advanced electronics will not add weight and you still have the option to turn everything off. I would also prefer no electronic aids, but that will not happen on a production bike in 2019...
    -Quick shifter -> will not add weight and you are free to use the clutch or whatever you want. I don`t see the problem.

So to sum up:
    More advanced electronics should not add weight. 250mm travel is probably a better choice for the masses, Xplor should be better than 4CS and can be replaced or extended for the hard core people.
    Then there is the looks of the bike. Very individual preferences, but from the one picture we have of the finished product i like it better than the 701.

For me the biggest negative is the suspension travel, but that can also be said for the 701. I want 300mm...

For the rest of the complaints: Keep your KLR, DRZ, or whatever you prefer. I don`t give a shit... And neither does KTM... Why talk about dinosaurs in this thread?
    E-luke, TommyDuncan, DK Dan and 14 others like this.
  11. Nw_adventure

Oddometer:
    So it's looking like this wont be @ US dealers until Jan/2019 ?
  12. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

KTM hate? Really? You sure sound a bit butthurt :lol3

No need to read speed from your gps, the speed display is mandatory on all bikes registered for road usage.
    All electronics, abs, quickshifter, etc. will add both weight and complexity.
  13. wass

wass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I for one, am very happy KTM and HQV are still committed to the big thumper market segment and are still producing new ones. Personally I think there is too much gadgetry these days, but as long as one can disable or chuck them all is fine in my book.
    I only ride something I can pick up, and this is about as big as I can go.
    So as long as they keep on producing them big thumpers I'll be buying them. Hats off to KTM/HQV for sticking to this segment. If it wasn't for these two what would there be in this segment?
    If other manufacturer's had kept on developing and producing bikes like the TT600 and XR650R chances might be I would be on blue or red as I loved those bikes. Their loss, KTM/HQVs gain as far as I'm concerned, they can have my money any day.
    mokibear, sbn, DeLewis and 5 others like this.
  14. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like to try one with new suspension and frame. For some reason, I never have been able to adapt to the current setup coming from a 640. I also do plenty of street riding so the traction control and ABS are interesting given the power these throw down. As long as the dongle still allows turning it all off for offroad, it seems good.

But, if you believe this bike compares to a KLR or any Japanese 650 in any way, then I can understand thinking it doesn't benefit from that stuff. But they aren't comparable. A 690 makes a ferociously fast street bike more than capable of spinning the rear tire on pavement. Hell, my 640 would get lose in corners and these smoke that old motor.

I like that KTM is both making it more powerful and trying to tame it with better handling and some rider aids. Because they were already a ridiculously wild and very entertaining ride. It might be nice having the option to dial back a little when you aren't in hooligan mode or riding knobbies in the rain. They are hard hitting when dialed up.

I'm more of an EXC kind of guy. But this all looks good for what a 690 does best.
  15. Nw_adventure

Oddometer:
    Good stuff- Been hanging onto my Drz400 for quite some time as their wasnt really an updated like for like bike with a bit more power, 6th gear, FI- etc/etc. Dont really want another old school tech machine like DR/XR- Do I really need 75hp ? lol probably not but for whatever reason no one wants to release a 290 lb- 50 HP bike with all the dual-sport goodies so here we are. Wondering what the road/offroad mode actually tweaks besides just de-tuning a certain rpm range- If it can find more torque down low for dirt that would be interesting- So with the new 690 updates- How will the 690/701 actually differ besides color if the 701 also gets these new electronic T/C gizmos ?
    SnickterP likes this.
  16. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    All we want is for KTM to build a cheaper KLR for another 35 years without changing much beyond the colors!
  17. wantathumper

wantathumper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wish they would make a wide ratio gear box as standard. We in US need wide ratios.....UPDATE. Just got my NOVA wide ratio gears...wish they were MK1 but I will have to do with MK2 for my new 690 that is coming.

Does anyone know if the 2019 690 will have a proper Tachometer?

Also considering making a run of titanium Rods...like I have in my honda 650L
  18. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    This doesn't speak for all of us. I think a lot of this depends on how you use a 690. I have 2 smaller dirt bikes and don't claim to use my 690 for real serious off road. Forest Service roads, jeep roads, etc. are the off road my 690 sees. What I use my 690 for at least 50% of the time is street riding, especially twisty mountain roads and other back roads that are part of a trip which may or may not include off road. When I am enjoying a great mountain twisty, I am very happy with the stock tranny ratios. I can deal with the stock ratios off road and wouldn't change them for my use. I do sometimes change to a smaller front sprocket for mostly dirt rides, but not very often.

I am a big fan of wide ratio trannys of road. That is because of the versatility the wide ratio gives. I also recognize the benefits of a closer ratio box is evaluated with emphasis of dirt performance and racing. We are all aware of the clamor for close ratios in the smaller off road bikes. KTM responded with the XC models. Guess it would be nice to have a choice with the 690. My guess is still that fewer 690s see real serious dirt when compared with those that do.

I would also add that there needs to be a matching of transmission ratios with an engine's power characteristics. Even though the 690 has 65 or so HP, we all know the good power comes on around 4,000 RPM or so. Widening the gaps will have an impact on what it takes to stay in the sweet spot. Maybe a little wider would be fine. But I don't think for a minute that KTM just made a huge mistake with the 690's tranny ratios--for the riders they think will buy the bikes
    FWIW
  19. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Another aspect is that it's not that pleasant to ride a stock 690 fast (w/o fairing) for any longer amount of time.
    Since I don't spend much time above 120km/h the rpm at such speeds is of little concern.

That said, once the cases need to be split (and only then), a nova gearbox is not totally out of the question :lol3
  20. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    renogeorge likes this.