2019 ktm 690 enduro ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by azur, Sep 24, 2018.

1. JPA

JPA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DIY version.
    Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!
    blalor likes this.
  2. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    @_lee if you mean a GPS harness, your GPS should come with it or you can get one from the manufacturer. There will be a special connecter on the end to go to the GPS. Then you just solder on spade connections on the other end.

For heated gear, same goes - the manufacturer will have a harness. I use Warm n' Safe heated gear, so I use their harness, but it's just a regular battery harness with a coax connector on the other end a higher amperage fuse to handle the draw.
  3. dolphins13

dolphins13 orange rules

Oddometer:
    Got my bike back from getting the shit star (shift drum locator) replaced. It had a broken pin. Now my battery doesn’t charge up. Tested my battery. It’s still good. They said bring it back and they will look at it. I don’t trust them. They are 55 miles away. And won’t even look at it for 10 days. Any advice on what they left unplugged or screwed up. I want to ride. I went for a ride after they worked on it. About 50 miles into said ride the bike just died. Well it’s cause the battery went dead. I know they are responsible for it. It’s only got 5600 miles on the bike. Frustrated as hell. Any advice from those much more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am would be much appreciated. Thx
  4. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    That sucks! Check that the stator connector is mated. I can’t imagine why they would have undone it, but you never know. The cable exits the top rear of the left engine cover. Follow it to the connector.
    dolphins13 and AllSeasonRider like this.
  5. LazerDanger

LazerDanger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got just over 6200 miles now, and I'm going to check the valves this winter per schedule. Has anyone that's done this or had it done found their valve clearance out of spec? It seems like a pretty short interval.
  6. johnkol

johnkol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That doesn't sound right; if the battery was good enough to start the bike, then it should have charged during the ride. It sounds like either the charging system is not working, or something is shorting out.

Do you have a charger where you can charge the battery?
    dolphins13 likes this.
  7. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    6000 miles is not a short interval as far as I know. I think all of my bikes have had the same or shorter interval, but perhaps the VFR800 had longer.
    j.
  8. LazerDanger

LazerDanger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe, my 1090 is 18k, africa twin was 16k. Maybe it's just singles that have the shorter interval?
  9. dolphins13

dolphins13 orange rules

Oddometer:
    The battery fired the bike up after being on my trickler for a half hour. I had the battery tested. It’s good. It’s not being charged while I’m riding. Was just hoping someone had this problem and pointed me in an easy fix direction.
  10. dolphins13

dolphins13 orange rules

Oddometer:
    Stator seems hooked up. Thx for advice tho.
  11. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    They may have disconnected the battery to work on it. I 'kinda' remember that the Reg/Rec has a separate ground wire that goes to the battery. May want to check that.
    roookie1 and dolphins13 like this.
  12. dolphins13

dolphins13 orange rules

Oddometer:
    I had the battery out. Didn’t see any loose wires. But something like that has got to be the problem. Way to big of a coincidence for the charging system to fail right after they work on it?
  13. ERU

ERU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello gang.
    First let me introduce myself. I currently own two bikes, both BMW and in a strange way i am thinking of changing both of them with KTM's.
    First one is not the topic of this discution or thread it is an F800GS, but the second is an BMW AdventureX as i call it and it was born as a sad street bike under the name of G650 Xcountry, each of them have more mods than Michael Jackson had plastic surgery.

IMG_9368.JPG IMG_9550.JPG IMG_20200516_130901.jpg
    I know i have done the unthinkable. :) [posting BMW pics ia KTM thread] :oscar
    So i want to swap AdventureX for a KTM 690 Adventure.
    For that i took the time and read all the tread and also some connected threads [or not so much like art of packing light many thanks to point me onto this one].
    So i have some questions for you:
    1. What is the lightest exhaust for the 690?
    I want to said plainly from the start that i know almost nothing about injection maps or engine tunning, I noticed that the vast majority of you go on the Wings route, but i cannot really see why. Is that something to do with the injection/fuelling or is by far the best exhaust?
    2. Since i want a 690 Adventure, that means fairing. I used Rade one for my Xcountry and so i was initialy inclined to do the same, but i read a lot of negative report about it in this thread and it apears that the Nomad one it is a little better quality wise. Is that true? Is anyone who had both or seen them both in his riding group ?
    3. Rade fuell tank and filter are on my list, but there is another strange thing , in the begining of the thread everybody was praising it but latetley seems that there are some severe quality isues. Is that true or it was a bad batch or some isolated cases?
    4. Bash plate.
    There are quite some options here. I like the AS shape the most but the price is skyhigh like all AS products. Rade is ok shape wise and it has the storage that i like but the opening shape to the storage is odd and aparently is prone to dirt and mud inside. Nomad have the storage also, and i like the storage much more than the Rade but it is wery weak on the sides protection wise or at least that seems to be from the pictures and last but not least AXP wich was my initial thought, because i very much liked the 790 version of AXP seems to me that is not covering enough and prety expensive for what it is.
    Please feel free to write anything , your colective wisdom is much apreciated.
  14. makar

makar Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Check the voltage at the battery:
    At 5000rpm 13.5-15.0V (690 enduro r my 2019) should be at the battery.
    If it‘s below check for:
    Connection generator - rectifier
    Rectifier - wire harness
    Stator winding of the generator

If it‘s above that it’s the rectifier.
    There’s an upgrade in form of a mosfet rectifier available:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/690-enduro-r-mosfet-r-r-upgrade-installation.1210183/

Why mosfet?: https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/ktm-990-adventure-fh008-mosfet-regulator-installation.184437/
    dolphins13 likes this.
  15. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    Yes....my 2018 had a couple of valves out of spec at the first check. I was a bit surprised since I’ve had a few KTMs and they were all fine at the first check.
  16. Koko

Koko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found out why my clutch flaked out on my last ride. Had a tear in the diaphragm. Replaced it with the obligatory Oberon unit. Only 800 miles on the bike.

20201021_184528.jpg 20201021_183551.jpg
    zoomdude57 likes this.
  17. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad it’s fixed. Join the club. Common problem.
  18. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    What your screw driver is touching is only a dust cover. Peal that off and push the piston out. Then you'll see the real problem. It's a seal that is probably torn.
  19. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the connector from the Stator to the reticifier.. Often yellow wires..
  20. Cyath

Cyath Impetulant Ignoramus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can understand your frustration, but having owned BMWs, KTMs and Suzuki bikes, I can tell you that owning a high performance bike like a KTM is not like buying a Camry. You’re going to have to get your hands dirty and learn how to fix shit especially if you plan on using for it’s intended purpose of adventure riding where things can go wrong in the middle of nowhere.
    If you want an indestructible bike, get a DR650. It’s utilitarian and uninspired but it’s guaranteed to get you home every time.
    dolphins13 and Force0321 like this.