2019 ktm 690 enduro ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by azur, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Force0321

Force0321 Dirty Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Zuber,
    Question: Non-690 related but still KTM related.

Do you have any info on whether the 2020 350 EXC-F, US model, has the 2 maps in the ecu for the new KTM TC/map switch?
    I've searched everywhere on the web and can't get a straight answer. I know the non smogged down EU models have it, and have an Orange plug behind the headlight mask, Just like the new XC-W bikes.
    I have one Black rubber capped plug behind my headlight mask that looks like it's for the TC switch.

I did manage to find this today on the 2020 models
    "Additionally, for 2020, the ECU features new maps which have been adapted to the new exhaust, airbox and engine configuration, regulating the unique traction control and are activated by an optional map-select switch. It also provides different maps for each gear, according to the information received from the gear sensor, ensuring maximum power as you shift through the gears."

Additionally KTM advertises this for their 2021 EXC-F models
    " All models can be fitted with an optional map-select switch on the handlebar for selecting alternate engine maps.
    The rider also has the option to activate Traction control from this optional switch"

I assume the '20/'21 bikes use the same ecu.

I don't want to throw down the $$ for a switch that won't work on my 2020 350 exc-f.
    I guess I could always haul it down to the shop and connect it to the KTM computer and see if it shows 2 maps.

Thanks in advance for any info you can come up with.
    outbacktm likes this.
  2. stephlal

stephlal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3 - I've had it for 2000 km's and it's solid. Easy install, no modifications of any parts to make it fit as several seem to have written about on previous models. I went against the "forum grain" on this one and installed it as they instructed, with the petcock going to the bottom of the rear tank. I personally prefer to have a 5.5L reserve, hence that method.
    4 - I'm loving the molecule motorsports - https://slavensracing.com/shop/skid-plates-ktm-690-hqv-701-molecule-motosports/ - read up on UHMW - pricey, light, more durable then aluminum, and doesn't reflect engine noise up.
  3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's news to me, I've got my 2018 350, love it and haven't been watching the new ones. I'll check it out. Just a guess, the software has been finalized for '21 and you'll be able to re-flash your '20. I sure love the #2 throttle setting on my 690r, powerband and traction control is just right.
    Force0321 likes this.
  4. stephlal

stephlal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My take on tires and Tubliss so far.
    My baseline...On my 300 I run Shinko 505's 120/100x18 rear at 5-6 PSI , and the Shinko MX216 Fatty front 90/100x21 at 11-12 PSI - fatty fronts are terrible for turning, but great at everything else which is what I ride most. I've tried a lot of tires off-road, these 2 have been my staple for a while now with Tubliss.

I'm always riding roots, rocks and more rocks, I can't get away from that in most of the terrain I ride, even with the 690.

TKC80's - They were fantastic on road but the lack of grip even on gravel was terrible, I felt like I was skating all the time. I tried various pressures, wasn't a fan. I did 1300 km's on those, with 2 offroad trips...I was surprised to read they are 40/60. Not for me.

Shinko 244's - Everyone says they are great 50/50's, good at everything but great at nothing. Being a Shinko fanboy for my 300, why not...at $130$ CAD for 2 tires, I was crazy not to try them. They are great on road, and ok offroad. I'm not sure what I expected out of a 50/50, but the offroad ok is only in sunny dry trails with no wet roots or rock gardens. As soon as you add leaves or wetness, forget it, I felt like I was riding snow & ice without studs. As for being a 4 ply, ya no, these golden boys are thin. I sliced the sidewall on the rear on my 2nd offroad ride with them. 2 plugs and 80 km's at 120 km/h, the plugs held and got me home. Thumbs up Tubliss, thumbs down Shinko. As for mounting I was able to seal the front very easily. The rear took me 4 resets. The tire bead is so thin + 2.5" rim, forget it, don't do it, on the edge of failure in my opinion.

Dunlop D606 rear and Metzeler MC360 Med Hard front (no MT21 stock anywhere, that's what I wanted to try) - ya, I found my off-road tires. Amazing off-road as to be expected since they are 10/90, duh, right? I know...I haven't tried them in proper 2 track yet at 15 PSI loaded with wet snotty shit and rocks, more to come on that. But I did run them at 33 PSI front and 25 PSI rear today on 200km's of road and 150km's of grass / mud 2 tracks and gravel roads / rail lines and couldn't believe how good they were. The ride quality on street was surprisingly positive. I was worried about how vibbey these would be as most of my rides take me 160 km's of highway round trip anytime I get out. Properly balanced with no-mar spoke weights, it's a non issue for me. I'll deal with the tinny bit of added vibes to have the off-road performance. We'll see how well they last.

TLDR; If you want off-road performance, go straight for 10/90 tires and stop worrying so much about road performance, pull the trigger. Tubliss is awesome as always, 5min. trail side flat repair.

Attached Files:

Cyath and makar like this.
  5. OscarFox

OscarFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you using A) Nuetech Tubliss and B) on the stock rims?
  6. stephlal

stephlal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Nuetech and yes.

I've lost count of how many times I've plugged tires on my 300, not going Tubliss on this 690 wasn't an option for me.

Tubliss is rated for our front rim size, not the rear we have at 2.5", it's only good to 2.15" rear
    0.35" / 9mm is what is missing. You can make up the difference by using thicker bead tires.

No it's not recommended, not for highway use "liability issue", but it works extremely well.
    OscarFox likes this.
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you considered the Dunlop D606 front? I've found it to be excellent off-road and terrible on-road.
    outbacktm likes this.
  8. stephlal

stephlal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    I read mixed reviews on the front version of it (cupping, wobbling) so I stayed clear for now.
    What don't you like about it on road?
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The front 606 is more of a real dirt tire. It pushes on pavement. Cups if you do strong braking. Just like most dirt bike tires. Works very good off-road in rocks and sand, even mud was ok.

KTM put this 606 on the front of the 2013 990 Baja, on a 2.15" rim. It was terrible. The wide rim made the tire very square. Double brake disks on pavement cooked it quick.
    To match it they put the 908 on the rear. Instead of the normal 2.5" rim, it was a 4.5". Big mistake, neither in spec.
    stephlal likes this.
  10. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Work on your question and get back to me in the morning...
    moto74 likes this.
  11. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    Ahhh, but on my 990 ADV the front 606 was great off road, and marginally acceptable on pavement on my Woodie's built front 1.85" rim. I tended to rotate direction of the front wheel to reduce cupping since I had already deleted ABS.

The 908 rear was awesome in any kind of dirt or mud on my OEM Super Enduro wheel on that 990, with it's 2.5" width. It was good for plenty of miles on pavement too, like the times when I rode down to Baja from San Francisco and then all over all the dirt we could survive, and then all the way back home.

I only put street tires (usually Shinko 705's) on the original OEM 990 wheels. I like to have a set of "dirt" wheels, and a "street" set of wheels, since I live at least 100 miles from any decent dirt riding.
    j.
    stephlal likes this.
  12. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, on the right rims the Dumbflops are very good. That 908 was stupid expensive.
  13. Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City, St George, UT & Seattle -
    TKC80 up front needs replacing at 3k miles- Does anything beat the tried and true P/MT21 ? Amazon still has them in stock-
  14. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    this might be a silly question, but I usually don't deal with this. but for my 690 I got some BDCW lowered pegs. I need to lower the brake lever too, how much can I actually go down on this? even the owners manual is unclear. I lowered it a bit but I am confused about how much play is needed and more so Im worried it will be barely engaged, cooking the rear brake riding.
  15. JPA

JPA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you mount the pedal tip under the lever? I remember seeing a photo showing it could be done.
  16. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. rsl47m

rsl47m Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey what are you guys using as settings for a Scotts Damper on the 690? I started with 1.5 out High and 8 out low. Seems way off on my short ride today. I had what i would call as a slow speed wobble.

I know someone is going to say every bike/terrain is different, but what works for you?

thanks
    Bob
  18. McMal

McMal They are now making electric what?!?

Oddometer:
    Turn your Scott's right down (so almost no assistance) and make sure you don't have a wobble (or disconnect it). If you do have a wobble, you need to resolve that first. The settings are personal preference, but I think the lower the low speed that you're comfortable with the better. The high speed setup should be set so that while going over some loose rocks it tracks mostly straight. That's what I've found works best for me anyway. Not sure if this is "right"

On the comments re Tubliss. I love it on my 300, but keep losing air in the rear tyre on the 690. This is a pain. I removed the Tubliss and went back to Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes. But I'm not a fan of these too. They are just too heavy. Maybe just Heavy Duty Tubes and just deal with it.
    rsl47m likes this.
  19. ERU

ERU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many thanks Stephlal.
    The slaven racing bashplate looks prety much just like AXP.
    On a side note you gang are not very talkative.
  20. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye / 2019 KTM 690 Enduro

Oddometer:
    What steering dampers are you running? I have the BRP Submount, does this fit anything other than a Scotts? I see they offer ROAD and OFF-ROAD versions, my bike is setup for the Trans Euro Trail and an overland trip across Africa (hopefully) next year. Which one should I get if I get a Scotts? Their website says: "Road bikes having rebound damping while Dirt bikes have no rebound damping in order to allow quickly for corrective measures during slides."