2019+ ktm 690 enduro

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by azur, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Ride1st

Ride1st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2020 between Christmas and New Year for $9399 here. https://aomc.mx/SHOWROOM.html#/filter:brand:KTM/filter:size2:690 I did pay an additional $200 in doc fees but no other freight, setup.... They still have them listed at that price but I would bet they are gone by now.
    Carmmond likes this.
  2. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    1st ride done... first 5-10 mins I was sick to my stomach. Bike had no power.... wouldn’t wheelie.... couldn’t rear wheel steer... got up on the pegs on some desert single track and leaned over the bars and grabbed a handful of throttle and almost fell over the bars... nothing from the engine. Pulled over, checked what I could. Tried again and same thing. WTH? I’ve already got ABS off, TC is off, nothing. Then I put what I think is TC on just to try it because it lights up and I grab a handful of throttle and it comes alive and launches. Whew. That’s a funny one KTM, TC off on the 690 is with the light on, just the opposite of my 350 where when the light is on, TC is on. Don’t know why KTM switched it up.

My impression, felt very much like a stock 500 on the trails. Not completely like it of course, but very similar minus weight. The suspension was very impressive. I’ll respring it for my weight, but not revalve it as valving worked well. Motor pulled good, but to be honest not as hard as I thought it would. To be fair, I did not put it in sport and I did not bring it to the limiter as it’s only got 25 miles on it. I’m hoping when it gets broken in and I can really hammer it it will have that Umph I’m expecting. Brakes were great. Steering was very good on and off road. Tires are garbage, but I’ll wear them out to break the bike in.

I gotta do research on disabling the quick shifter. What a POS! Just like all the other KTM QS bikes I’ve owned (even my 1290GT stays disabled). Way too sensitive for off road and waaaaaaaaaaay to slow to shift.

I like that the can has a sparky in it so I’ll use it for a while, but gonna have to look for something with a little more noise, not crazy noise, but Bike sounds like a sewing machine with the stocker.

Bike feels way lighter than I expected and handles much better than I expected. Bike is also very smooth 70-80mph on slab or dirt. No vibs in bars or pegs. That’s a plus. Engine pulled good, but didn’t wow me with its pull, but think that will change when broken in and i have more room to play with the throttle at higher RPMs. Not disappointed at all, just notable for the first ride. I’ll need to get dongles or something for the ABS and TC so they stay off.

Overall very happy. Much more nimble and dirt bike’ish than I expected. I can see getting in trouble with this thing on the trails thinking I’m on a smaller bike than I am.

IMG_6049.jpg
    Manny U, outbacktm, Force0321 and 9 others like this.
  3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want another review at 1500 miles.

I'd suggest you change the oil to another mineral (non-synthetic) oil at about 3-400 miles (no filter change). Then go to synthetic at 1200 miles. Helps with break-in.
    outbacktm, Force0321 and oldfuddy like this.
  4. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m surprised they said 600 miles on this oil. I’ll probably change it out around 200 and then again at 600 or so and then go Amsoil.
    aanichols likes this.
  5. blackSP

blackSP Im 'in orbita ponendum simulat

Oddometer:
    Just got word from my bike shop that the beast is ready except for the Cyclops led which should be in today or tomorrow. All mods done including the SAS bypass and canister removal, all dongles available are installed, all mods are done except for different front/rear sprocket and some more which will be done at first service. BTW,besides all other 2021 improvements notice that the Euro bike have led turn signals.

The freezing cold and snow is now suddenly over as well. Only 2 days ago it was -14c and this weekend it will be +16c so guess what I'll be doing :)

151266668_2854197551462512_5679436542226977257_o.jpg 150787140_2854197634795837_7229958926825643816_o.jpg
    ADV67, Gadgetech, Perun and 6 others like this.
  6. DIYPSCM

DIYPSCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still, it's odd in a warranty. Even sleazy extended warranties say "all internally lubricated parts, cylinder block....". If they are that bulletproof it's a strange exception to make. I could MAYBE see it on the two stroke models.
  7. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    The warranties on these bikes are so short, I couldn't possibly make a decision based on dealer support, though I do all of my own servicing so I have little need for them, anyway.

That reminds me, I'm due for another valve check and oil change!
  8. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I changed mine just shy of 300 miles and after changing oil on Ducati, Triumph and BMW bikes, I don't think I've ever seen oil that clean at 300 miles.
    JoeMongo likes this.
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like to change the oil a little early. Sometimes you'll see machining chips or gasket material. If it's really has a lot, I'll change the filter. On the 690's, these are a little hard to break-in, so keep non-synthetic oil to about 1200-1500 miles. Also, very important to change it when the oil is hot.
    outbacktm likes this.
  10. blalor

blalor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why is that? I recognize hot oil will flow more easily, but if the objective is to get as much out of the pan, filter, etc, as long as you let it drip its last drop why does it matter if the oil was hot or if the engine hasn't run for a day?
  11. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree. If you read the details it’s a limited warranty. It’s not just piston and rings... it’s all wearable parts.. including all bearings, all clutch components, all seals, brake components, and the list goes on. To dig further if the dealer doesn’t enter the pre-delivery inspection form within 24-hrs of sale here in North America there is no warranty. How many owners call the dealer to make sure that is done? I’m confident if as an owner following and in many cases exceeding recommended service intervals if there’s an issue with one of my KTMs during warranty it will be fixed. I’d bet an adult beverage on it. It’s more important to follow the book and have a good dealer than what is on a two page lawyer written warranty form in my experience. And, when something fails don’t beat the dealer up. That’s a sure way not to get something covered by warranty. Cheers.
    WildAnCrazymtl and outbacktm like this.
  12. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    When you change oil that's hot, the contaminants remain in suspension in the oil. This means you'll get those contam's out when you open the drain hole. Also, hot oil is thin oil. This will help reduce internal engine "clingage" to the engine's walls/surfaces.
    Last thing...ALWAYS change all the filter elements when dropping oil. It makes zero sense to leave 10% dirty oil when you want 100% clean oil.
    Force0321 likes this.
  13. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm concerned about changing this (into an oil thread...)
    If I was doing a real oil change, yeah, do the filters too.
    I've pulled down engines where the owner only changed the oil cold. It's usually got a couple of mm's of sludge in the bottom.
    outbacktm likes this.
  14. stephlal

stephlal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried to source a repair manual last year for my 2020 and they weren't out yet.
    It looks to be available here https://print.ktm.com/

Does anyone know if I get shipped a CD or do i instantly get a digital PDF copy?
  15. DIYPSCM

DIYPSCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did this for my 2021. I did the print plus digital, I got instant PDF download and mailed a printed manual. (not here yet, it comes from Austria)

You create an account with pw, then you can log in from anywhere, any time & view or d/l the PDF. Each page of the PDF has your name & email address watermarked on it to discourage pirating. I think it's a great deal @ about $85 for both. :beer
    stephlal likes this.
  16. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks. Just found out KTM stopped doing hard copy owners manuals in ‘21.... at least not doing it for the 690 according to two dealers. Owners manuals are free download, but I’m wanting the repair manual to.
  17. MotoCouch

MotoCouch That looks rideable.....

Oddometer:
    @oldfuddy "My impression, felt very much like a stock 500" This is fairly high praise for a dual-sport in my book. The weather here has been sucking and I have not had mine properly offroad yet. I'm basically dying as a result.
  18. ERU

ERU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you consider to talk with a suspension guru, about swapping your 790 RR suspension into you 690, if you consider selling the 790RR?
    I am not sure it is possible, but I think it is plausible, it worth a try.
  19. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 790 has radial brakes, 690 has the old floating style.
  20. Escorcio

Escorcio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can always get a set of xplr pro on the front. for the rear... a bit harder
    See a couple of bike 690/701 with Conevalve (XPLR PRO suspensions).

For the rear, it's possible to have a tractive rally (it has PDS) but they need to be modified (Konflict in USA does it) to suit the 690 (2019-...). A 701 tractive shock will not fit a 690 (2019-...)

I'm moving to this direction very soon (the parts arrive tomorrow!)

Attached Files:

ADV67, Perun, rsl47m and 1 other person like this.