2019+ ktm 690 enduro

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by azur, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City, St George, UT & Seattle -
    Cant believe how KTM has to use the Dumbo Ear DOT approved turn signals from 1979 but gets away with non-dot approved inner/tubes-
    oldfuddy likes this.
  2. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Just zip tied the clutch switch closed as suggested by Trailryder42. Ten minute job and completely reversible. Took it for a ride. No more over-revving. Shifts perfectly.:thumb
    Trailryder42 and oldfuddy like this.
  3. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess the only potential issue could be starting it in gear by mistake with no clutch pulled.as it would think the clutch is pulled and let you.
    oldfuddy likes this.
  4. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well crap... Stop with the facts already . Well, looks like a $1,200 Radius CX is next . This shit never ends
    Force0321 likes this.
  5. gibbo66

gibbo66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've not zip tied the microswitch as I reckon theyre pretty fragile AND I might want to use the QS- or not! I'm just glad it was an easy work around.I guess the more sophisticated bikes with many functions have the ability to do it via software rather than us hacking away!
  6. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Proof of concept. I will likely install a switch at some point to toggle it on or off. Though the shifting is so smooth and natural without QS, I’d probably never use it.
    oldfuddy likes this.
  7. Force0321

Force0321 Dirty Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this for your 3fidy or 690??
    I don't think you can get the Radius CX for the 690, just the Radius X.
    350 gets the CX.
    I installed the Radius X in my '17 690 enduro right after break in.
    It's a complete game changer for short legged idiots like myself!
    No more stalling on steep up hill climbs when you are stopped and trying to 1: get a foot on the ground, 2: take off while working the clutch, front brake and throttle at the same time!

Note: I burned the 1st Rekluse up after about 2k miles. Apparently putting around on fire roads in 3rd gear at around 3k rpm is a no no.
    Was on a long uphill climb on about day 10 of a 12 day off road ride, July 2018.
    I could feel the clutch slipping as I was going up. Got to the top, adjusted the freeplay on the slave and all was good, until it wasn't.
    Had to slab home about 250 miles. Stopping about every 50-75 miles to adjust the slave.

Rekluse sent me a complete new clutch kit under warranty, and published a dual sport rider .pdf.
    A Rekluse tech explained to me over the phone that on the 690, the Rekluse clutch doesn't fully clamp until around 4500 rpm.
    After reading the .pdf and staying in lower gears and keeping my RPM higher, the Radius X has been trouble free for over 6k miles.
    I also replaced the inner and outer clutch hubs as they were slightly warped. Lesson learned!

https://rekluse.com/support-docs/NP...801 Riders guide for Adventure-Dual Sport.pdf
    Look at the date on the .pdf, 2018.
    They must have had a buttload of 690 riders frying clutches!
  8. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. 350 gone... got a 450SXF now with a CX. Interesting about the 4,500rpm bit.... no surprise with Rekluse though, possibly the best customer service on the planet. I don’t really know if I’ll go rekluse on the 690, but I sure do like that coupled with a LHrB on my littler bikes. It’s cheating, no other way to say it.
    Force0321 likes this.
  9. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question for you experts...

Engine warning light came on today and I'm wondering if you can shed some light on what the reason might be (I have no code reader). Bike is a 2021 690 Enduro R (EU).

Conditions:
    • PCV installed.
    • Rotty SAS delete installed.
    • Rotty Air Intake Kit installed.
    • Wings exhaust installed.
    • 2021 EU Inline O2 sensor installed (AVDV racing - exhaust sensor remains in place)
    • Aurora rally tanks plumbing installed - tanks not installed yet.
    • Engine kill switch in the 'run' position (pump noise heard when key turned).
    This is the first time I tried turning the key since I installed all the farkles (yes I know, I should have tested one at a time). I have not tried to run the engine yet as I don't have the rally tanks installed.

I'm thinking that this is either the ECU not liking the PCV or it's unhappy with the fact that I've changed the fuel hoses to the new Aurora set up but have no tanks installed...i.e. a fuel pump error.

Appreciate your thoughts/ advice on diagnostics. Does a PCV installation always throw an engine error code? If so, how do I delete it?
  10. gibbo66

gibbo66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no idea but does the SAS delete require a dongle? Of course the kit may come with one - what would I know!
  11. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it’s the weekend so that sucks, but give Rotti a call a Monday. No doubt it’s from one of the mods.
    The Cone of Silence likes this.
  12. cccbarkbuster

cccbarkbuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you could try disconnecting the battery for a minute. the light might stay off. I did the sas delete fuel dongle with Rade garage airbox and aux fuel tank. Did it all at once and had the light when finished. It was gone with the battery disconnected and reconnected. hasnt come on since . did the AZBDR and 2000 miles on it now ,no codes have come up .
  13. Escorcio

Escorcio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you hear the pump priming?
    that "ZZZZZZZ" we hear every time (if seperated by a few secs) you turn the ignition on?
    maybe you have the pump switch to the wrong side?
  14. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I heard the pump priming....but as I now have the Aurora harness plugged into the OEM pump, but the Aurora tanks are not yet installed, I think this is maybe where the problem occurred.

What does the 'switch to the wrong side' mean, Escorcio?
  15. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:

Is the R/G skid plate strong enough to lift the bike up with ATV jack?

Clarification. You mentioned you replaced the Hex key bolts. I assume you mean Allen head bolts? Did you replace them with conventional bolts so you can use a socket?
  16. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it’s strong enough to use a jack.
    Yes, I think I used a bolt with an 8mm socket head.
    GF-kam likes this.
  17. dmann

dmann Carpe DM Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe,
    Thanks for the info. Lemme pick your brain on something:
    I want the Rade racks, but I want to put them on my 2015(w/ Perun rear rack).
    Do you think I could pull it off? I don't know the difference between the mounting points of the 2019+ and my 2015. I emailed RG but haven't heard back. I'm not afraid of enlisting the help of a welder, I want those racks on my bike if I can make it happen. Thanks.
  18. Escorcio

Escorcio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    when installing the Aurora kit, you get a harness with a switch to select the pump to use (aft or front tanks). this pull the power from the bike to the original pump, and splits it to 2 pumps with a switch in the middle.
    is this installed? is it in the correct position? as long as you don't hear the pump priming... the engine won't work (and I suspect it detects a faulty pump due to open circuit)
  19. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi tft,

Does the R/G Skid Plate allow clear view of left side counter shaft and slave cylinder clutch area? Any chance you can post a pic with skid plate on; head-on from left side.

In past, I have had weeping issues from my countershaft. So I always take a peak after ride. I don't want to remove my skid plate eveytime to inspect. My current skid plate is AXP Extreme. With my current setup I can inspect area. Curious is the R/G provides same visibility for inspection.

IMG_2645.jpeg

Any idea what the maximum length and diameter tool wrap the R/G opening would accomodate?

Thanks.

Kam
  20. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the Aurora kit, the usual mistake that is done is the air filter temp sensor. It's out, then riders test something and then the ECU will pick that error. Then once the kit is installed, with the temp sensor plugged, the ECU will still register that error. For Euro 5 bikes, turns out that the bike has to be to the dealer to erase that error. It will stay there even if the battery is off.
    As long as the harness of the two pumps as @Escorcio is connected (i.e. you can select FR-RE pumps), then you should be ok. Even if the front pump is missing, you should not get any errors as long as the harness is in place.
    2021 and PCV I don't know, but on all Euro 5 bikes it's a pita with the PCV so far.