2019+ ktm 690 enduro

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by azur, Sep 24, 2018.

1. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I switch the ignition on I hear a priming of the pump. Question - if I had the other pump installed as well, would both of these prime on ignition or does the fuel harness switch only target one pump at a time?
  2. ripthejacker

ripthejacker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought we were talking about removing the front sprocket. Wrong picture?
    Trailryder42 likes this.
  3. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL. I'm losin' it. If you've ever wondered at what age your brain is going to turn to mush, it's 64.
  4. rustyshatz

rustyshatz always a noob

Oddometer:
    just installed rade garage aux fuel tank. no issues with install, but when I went to reinstall the seat there's a large gap between the seat and body panel/frame? Also seems like the seat is just laying on top of the tank. Can that support my husky 200lbs?

IMG_1026.jpg

Attached Files:

5. trailrider77

trailrider77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I reinstalled the stock seat support spacers and that will help fill the gap and provide support for the seat. It will also add support to the Rade aux tank as well.
  6. Sameer Dawood

Sameer Dawood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to return that and buy one from my ktm parts dealer. One that measure 11.5
    Thank you
  7. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My stock seat fits better than that. I'm wondering if the seat pan of your aftermarket seat is so different from the stock pan.

You need to make sure the rear tank support bracket is oriented properly. The tank is molded with a recess to set on the bracket. If the tank is too far back, that recess won't ride on the support bracket properly and that will make the tank sit high.

It doesn't look like your aftermarket seat has the rubber support bumpers/pads that would sit on the stock seat supports, so it wouldn't do you any good to modify them and reinstall them like you can for the stock seat.
  8. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the same. They took a little trimming but turned out well and the rubber bumpers/supports of the stock seat rest on them like they're supposed to. I only had 1 small spot of the seat pan that was contacting the tank, making the rubber support on one side stand off a little. Took a heat gun to that spot of the seat pan and dimpled it in a little, problem solved.

Attached Files:

AllSeasonRider likes this.
  9. Chugger Downunder

Chugger Downunder n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. It's not everyday false neutrals, just noticeable enough given that no other bike has given me grief before. Perhaps I have been lucky over my riding career, the only non self-inflicted problem I have suffered from in 30 years of riding were the magnets falling off the inside of the starter motor on a GSXR750 a month after its warranty ran out.
  10. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No.
    The pump that primes is the one that is selected initially with the toggle.
    i.e.
    1.Toggle in position No1 (let's say front tanks)
    2. Turn key on.
    3. Front pump primes.
    4. Front pump stops.

if you now play with the toggle, nothing will happen. The other pump will not prime since this is a sequence that the bike goes through when you turn the key only. Then >

1.Toggle in position No2 (let's say rear tanks)
    2. Turn key on.
    3. Rear pump primes.
    4. Rear pump stops.

Check complete.
    When riding, if you play with the toggle, the respective pump will operate. (since you are controlling the current flow).

Hope that makes sense,
    D.
    The Cone of Silence and Escorcio like this.
  11. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do disconnect it, don’t turn the key on until it’s plugged back in.
    Trailryder42 likes this.
  12. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I figured as much. Ended up disconnecting it and pulling the harness clear so I could remove the clutch cover. Made sure not to have the key around so as not to have a brain fart.
    oldfuddy likes this.
  13. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your results.

Took a good dirt nap on mine this past weekend. My fault, turned around at speed to look back to see where the two 500’s chasing me were at and when I turned back forward I was blowing a corner deep in 4th gear and staring at a field of saguaros and chollas and decided in .005 seconds it would be less painful to just throw it away and low side it and hope for the best and over the bars I went when the bike grabbed the edge of the mountain dirt road. Haven’t brought myself to wash the mud and dirt off the bike and assess the damage but it’s gonna cost me.... noticed the top of the front fender is wasted.. the top? Thinking she did some stunts on me while I was doing a full on Superman
    Force0321, RoundOz and Jeremy K like this.
  14. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd read that the Rekluse Radius X EXP ring for the 690 comes set up with the blue, medium engagement springs. That the 690s idle is just low enough that the EXP doesn't engage well off idle. The solution being, swap 3 of the blue for 3 of the red, low engagement springs. But I didn't remember that until after I started it and did the install gap setting and break-in procedure. Sure enough, I may have to go back in and do that.

For now, I'm playing with decreasing the install gap to have just a very slight creep when idling in gear with the clutch lever out. That makes the free play gain at the clutch lever the max of what's recommended but it seems to be engaging smoother off idle, not so much of a sudden jerk as the EXP ring tries taking up a larger install gap as the RPMs come up off idle, like it was doing initially.

I've only got an hour on it so far and only street riding. I'll keep an eye on it and see what I need to do, if anything, as it gets more time on it. But it feels like Rekluse and I know I'm going to love it on the 690, just like I do on my 300.
    oldfuddy likes this.
  15. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have yet to change springs out on these from what they come with. Had no issues adjusting free play. That said, I’ve never put one on a 690 or larger.
  16. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much mate, that explains it very well indeed....and given that when I switched the key on the OEM fuel pump primed and I don't have the rally tank pump attached, I now know which toggle position corresponds to which pump so I get to unleash the label maker. ;-)

Much obliged for your advice - good man.
  17. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    The Rekluse turned me into an occasional hero on my 990...not that I didn't spend some of the time on the 105 deg F Slickrock practice course crying in the fetal position, but I definitely would not have (eventually) made it around without that clutch ( and the moral support of newfound friends). 120 hp through 4 square inches of rubber on a 45 degree hill following a deep sand "pond" would have been way beyond my hand-brain coordination skillset.
    That being said, I don't feel an urgent need to put one on the 690. The clutch feathers pretty well and my hand-shortened levers allow me to grip the bars better.
    As everyone knows, the lack of a "handbrake" with a Rekluse installed can be a real pain, and not just on the side of a scrabbly hill. I mind-designed a quick flip lever by the slave cylinder to allow the Rekluse to be quickly taken out of the circuit, and even told the company about it. They told me they had thought about it but put it in the too-hard basket.
    There are ways to arrange a functional front wheel handbrake but that is of minimal use on an uphill, when you're most likely to need it.
    Another aspect with the 990 was the lack of engine-braking at idle. I was on the hairy edge of running out of brakes completely coming down Ophir pass a few years ago. Granted I was running only a single disk (otherwise a great mod for this machine) and had stayed off the rear brake all the way, knowing it is prone to overheating too, but having the lever almost touch the bars at about 9000 ft with no runaway truck ramps in site...well...let's just say it was lucky the seat leather was pretty stout or a chunk would have come with me when I stood up.
    oldfuddy likes this.
  18. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Wish I had put one on my SE but never did. Yes, imo a LHRB and a good one is a must. I’ve tried them all and settled on Clake SLR for my Rekluse bikes and it’s so good and flawless and precise I go as far as to remove the rear brake pedal completely, master and all. On my 450 I can dial out engine braking completely via an app on my phone, that coupled with the Rekluse has turned a big thumper into a completely free wheeling smoker when you let off the throttle. That’s interesting about the lever you designed for the slave. I think that would be a hit.
    Trailryder42 likes this.
  19. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for mentioning the Clake SLR. I was unaware of it. I'd read about the Clake 1 and 2 several years ago. I like how the Clake mounts over the stock clutch reservoir and uses the same clamp, not taking up any more bar real estate. I can get it as a Dual Control kit, keeping the foot brake. And it's less than the OX Brake Hydra.

Think you've changed my mind about getting the Hydra.

Edit: Dam.....I see the Clake only fits Brembo.
    oldfuddy likes this.
  20. rustyshatz

rustyshatz always a noob

Oddometer:
    It is an aftermarket pan from seat concepts, but it has the same bumpers and I checked to make sure the tank is properly sitting on the support bracket. I guess that's just the way it is!