2019+ ktm 690 enduro

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by azur, Sep 24, 2018.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Escorcio, ErGuss, mokhtario and 2 others like this.
  2. JPA

JPA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have oem SMC-R wheels on my 2019 and the rear is 5".
    oldfuddy likes this.
  3. stephlal

stephlal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use flatland racing rad guard, it's great.
    smackyface likes this.
  4. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I might go with 5”. The 4.25” would be a little stronger, but I doubt I’ll do any off road while in a SM set up.
  5. rsl47m

rsl47m Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What tires you thinking?
  6. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven’t got that far yet.... I ran Trail Attacks on my 950’s (19/17 set up) and was happy enough when on dirt roads and they did ok on slab. There’s a new trail attack 3 out but I don’t like the tread pattern. Since I’ll be on 17’s front and rear there’s lots to choose from...
  7. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you're thinking about conti trail attacks, i highly recommend that you consider the avon trailriders. i cannot imagine in what situation the the trail attacks would outperform the avon. i've run both and, for how i ride, it's no contest. the trail attack is a very good tire -very good. i think trailriders are excellent and work better in the dirt.

i will say that what i really love about the avon is that they're so sticky and predictable. mileage is really not a consideration for me. i'm happy with 3-4k miles from any tire. i'll probably get 5-6k. maybe. maybe not. i suspect that some riders will achieve 10k from the avons.
    oldfuddy likes this.
  8. rsl47m

rsl47m Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you feel you could do a track day on 17's front and rear with the Avons? Are they good enough and safe enough for a road course track day? Or squirley when leaned over?
  9. grace

Oddometer:
    i run the avon trailriders on the 690 super moto with 17's front/rear. yes, they're safe and good enough for road/track course. i also run these on my bmw r1200gs street wheels. these tires have ridiculous grip. i can run them at max lean angles and them some. they stick and break loose predictably. great feedback. for these bikes, i've stopped searching for something better. i've even considered running these on the super duke.

here are a few reviews from revzilla specifically commenting about track use. i wholeheartedly concur with the reviews. as good as they work on the pavement, they also work pretty damn well in the dirt.

Screenshot from 2021-10-17 21-38-47.png Screenshot from 2021-10-17 21-37-53.png Screenshot from 2021-10-17 21-35-43.png
    oldfuddy and rsl47m like this.
  10. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Avon Trailriders are my favorite of all street biased dual sport tires on my 1150 GSA. Better grip than Conti TAs and they wear more evenly. I’ve never had them slip out on road ever, wet or dry, and they work remarkably well on gravel and dirt. They’re also the quietest of all the tires I’ve run on this bike and wear well for how good they grip.

Attached Files:

oldfuddy and grace like this.
  11. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Righto hoping this is a quick one for you legends...the TC/ ABS embuggerance has reared its head above the parapet.

2021 690 Enduro R Euro5 model.

Switch key to 'on' position and the ride mode is in 1 but the ABS and TC lights are automatically on, suggesting both are disabled. I think the ABS light should switch off when I start moving (will test later today) but I can't seem to be able to switch the TC mode to 'enabled' i.e. light off.

I did try to turn them both off with many attempts at counting to 5 quickly, slowly, precisely and releasing but to no avail. Anyone experienced this before? Is it just a case of having to ride the bike a few metres and then trying again? I tried starting the engine to see if it would be different but the behaviour was the same - I can't change the TC setting from off to on.

N.B. the 2021 Euro5 model remembers the setting when the bike is switched off and on again - no dongle is needed. I've installed a PCV and in-line AVDV dongle for the exhaust O2 sensor but neither of those should impact the ABS and TC and I'm finding it weird that TC is defaulting to 'Off' with light on when on its last journey the bike finished up being put away in normal mode i.e. ride map 1, TC on, ABS on.
  12. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Both ABS and TC are disabled until the bike rolls forward a short distance.

I don't know if the Euro5 model changes how you disable TC, but on my '19 you do need to roll the bike forward a bit until the light goes out (enabled), then press and hold for ~5 seconds, then release. Light will be on at that point (disabled). You can do this while still moving, from memory. Repeat the steps to turn the light off again (enabled).

Likewise, the ABS light won't go out until you moved a short distance - this is true of any ABS-equipped bike I can think of.
    The Cone of Silence likes this.
  13. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh man that's good to hear. I've only ridden this bike once and changed about 40 things on it so I was worried about this. Will test later today, thanks mate. I knew it wouldn't take you blokes long!
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  14. blalor

blalor Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. zoomdude57

zoomdude57 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. AbnormalWrench

AbnormalWrench Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to see how they handle this, but in the automotive world, they would be forced to pay for it. I'm not sure if safety recalls work the same way with motorcycles. They definitely should.
  17. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    JoeMongo and AbnormalWrench like this.
  18. grace

Oddometer:
  19. zoomdude57

zoomdude57 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe an all new design on the 2021 so you should be OK.
    rsteiger and grace like this.
  20. dolphins13

dolphins13 orange rules

Oddometer: