2019 ktm 690 enduro ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by azur, Sep 24, 2018.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Ever since KTM purchased Husky they've use the 2 brands to provide more options to buyer. And if you were short I'm pretty sure you'd welcome the 250mm suspension. Why are more options a bad thing, because you don't agree with them?

Don't be surprised when you see some of these features show up on the 701.
    Wicko, huntercole, SnickterP and 4 others like this.
  2. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess my hesitation is the trend to add tech, that IMHO, is of dubious benefit. I assume traction modes are next, and then more advanced suspension control?

I know this may read like the "old man yells at clouds" meme, but why not fix the transmission ratios, an almost universal complaint?
    Gundy, moto74, darren70 and 3 others like this.
  3. Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City, St George, UT & Seattle -
    Ready to find out the seat height - this wait is taking forever for full specs..
  4. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    The 690 is a fantastic bike. The power that single engine makes is astounding. I would have thought a QS would only add to the ride experience for road use which is half of what the 690 is about. Making it slightly shorter isn't a bad thing considering the number of folks who have complained on ADV about it being too tall.

Seems what ever KTM (or anyone for that matter) offers it's never going to get past the ever shifting scrutiny of the market place. Maybe the right thing is to be like the Asian brands and just stick with the same unchanged design for 30yrs.....actually that makes a lot of sense when ya think about it :imaposer
  5. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

It would be really good with learner wheels on the bike as well, so there's no accidents while parking outside starbucks :lol3
    The electronic gadgetry is fine and has its place for sure, but imo not on a bike like the 690, it's porky enough to begin with - needs to loose weight/complexity, not gain it.
    darren70, sprouty115 and renogeorge like this.
  6. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Its a bit of a missfit bike and always has been. It's no enduro like it was marketed as and its never been a great ADV bike without a heap of cash added. As a short range DS its a lot of fun and in the hands of an average + rider it can get ya to lots of hard to reach spots. It will work ya though.

That's the brief, take it or leave it. Problem is you look at it, ride it, own it, and its very close to being the 1 to rule them all.....but it isn't....hence the crap that gets chucked at it. I don't see that as being a KTM design flaw....just perception by a narrow segment of the market. If you want light weight and power get a 500 exc....if you want more comfort and range, get a 1090 or soon a 790. :D
    Critic, Wicko, hbmarcus and 5 others like this.
  7. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    QS add grams of weight. Nothing more. It's all controlled through the ECU and a sensor on the shifter linkage is all that's needed.

For me, having had them on several bikes - though none dirt focused - I like it on the 690. As mentioned, when ripping the tarmac to get to the fun stuff, having a QS would be mega fun with no weight penalty. And should it fail in the field, the standard process of shifting is unchanged. It seems like a no brainer to me.
    SnickterP, Fast1 and rypere like this.
  8. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I just want a
    I just want a better spread in the gear ratios, or really, just first gear. Also a little less vibration, and maybe the new engine sorts this out? After that I'd be done buying "adventure bikes", it would be perfect.
    Critic and renogeorge like this.
  9. Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City, St George, UT & Seattle -
    Agree- If they could just shorten up that 1st gear on any legit on-road capable Enduro/Light adventure bike.. They put a man on the moon right ? lol
    sprouty115 likes this.
  10. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Then we could complain about the "huge" gap between 1 st and second. And note that 1st is almost useless--just like the complaints with the wide ratio EXC/XCWs. Was it Abe Lincoln or Eli Tomac that said something about not being able to please all of the people all the time....?
    Fast1 and Bike Guy like this.
  11. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    It's not an issue on many bikes. The WR250R is a good example. It has a great 1st gear for picking your way up a trail and no noticeable gap to 2nd.

Also look at gearing commander site, the 690 is geared like a motocross bike...

And while we're complaining about bikes we love, how many other bikes have a custom gear set available from an aftermarket company to fix the OEM spread?

http://www.novaracing.co.uk/ProductKTM690WRGearset.html
  12. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what you fellas are on about. I find 1st gear very useful for the tight and steep stuff and 2nd on up for everything else. It's wide enough to use on the street and the trails. I didn't even change my sprockets...
    SnickterP likes this.
  13. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Just my opinion, as I'm sure where we ride and what "steep" means is probably quite different.
  14. Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider Old Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless I'm missing something, what's the big deal about the suaspension travel. The 690 has had 250mm or about 10" for years. ???
    SnickterP likes this.
  15. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I can't speak to the WR 250 and how its power characteristics and gear ratios match up. I do have lots of experience with the smaller KTM singles with wide vs close ratio trannys. These bikes make good power at significantly lower RPMs than a 690. There is a noticeable gap from first to second on the wide ratio bikes. I prefer the wide ratio to the close ratio XCs and SXs which eliminate the gap and narrow others--great for race conditions where being in just the right spot powerwise is more important than with trail or even enduro riding. For years guys complained about the gap and wide ratios. So KTM came out with the XC line, which many guys don't like because they have to shift too much. My only point is that the 2 transmissions fit different riding conditions. I typically prefer the wide ratio for the versatility I look for from plated dirt bikes. Different strokes.... There is no free lunch.

IMO, it is still about matching power output to transmission ratios FOR A PARTICULAR TYPE OF RIDING. Just saying lower first gear is a partial solution IMO, possibly creating another problem or concern. Many wide ratio bikes end up with granny first that is un usable once rolling.

I will also add, I ride a lot of off road and mixed pavement to dirt and back home on pavement. I typically run 15/48 gearing, equivalent to dropping one tooth up front and staying with the OEM 45 rear. This gearing makes first low enough for my off road riding and still high enough to be usable for more than just starting. And it is comfortable at 65-70, which is all I ask for. Oh yeah, I really LIKE the 4-6 ratios when working through mountain twisties. Anyway, just one guy's opinion. FWIW
    sprouty115 and Bike Guy like this.
  16. enzo906

enzo906 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still Looks weird, not enough suspension and too much weight, make the rear slimmer make it weigh 130Kg and give it 300mm travel front and back and I will sell my 2004 LC4 otherwise not interested - Hey KTM build a decent dual purpose dirtbike like the 625SXC was, you know how you just wont!
    should have bought the last 625SXC years ago, should have bought 3!
  17. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think some of the gear ratio complaints are warranted. But the other solution is to ride faster off-road or slower on the highway. First is fine. 4 5 and 6 could be spread a little wider though.
    Critic likes this.
  18. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Old R model used to be at 275mm.
  19. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like all pluses to me as a recent 701 owner. That new engine is the absolute tits, improving to those xplor forks is hugely welcome (they have put trash suspension in the 690 / 701 for.. ever it feels) as is a quick shifter for more road mile type days.. not to mention some simple and disable-able safety features like the ABS modes and TC which have proven amazing tech on the big KTM bikes (and I havent heard of it failing at all personally either).

I can understand the argument that what you have is good enough already but this model from that spec sheet is a great step up, perhaps the biggest step up we'll ever see on this model or the 701 for that matter with the 790 ADV on the way. I can't see any downsides other than buyer remorse for anyone that bought new recently.. This is great news and just makes it more and more that sweet spot dual sport everyone keeps trying to imitate. If they can release it with lower weight thanks to the "new chassis design" etc that would be swell too. As much as I hate to admit it, if anyone listens to the DS / ADV community its KTM. Predicted announcement of a 390 ADV at EICMA as well as the 790 ADV coming.. they are starting to get it! Great time for us riders all around IMO

... and a bad time for me to be flat broke :(
    dieboere, SnickterP and Perun like this.
  20. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Following this with great interest.

Currently on 7 month trip rtw on a heavy pig. 2019 project will be a light adv bike built incorporating all my lessons learned on this trip.

Looking at the 701 or new 690 at the moment, as they seem to provide the best lightweight platform. 790/T7 I expect to be just too heavy.

Any info on the dash/cockpit of the 2019 690?