2019 ktm 690 enduro ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by azur, Sep 24, 2018.

1. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting - after reading this over a few times, I think we agree on the basic ideas. All I'm really saying is that first and possibly second could be lowered slightly which would IMHO be a great advantage on tight sections for a travel bike that is loaded with gear. I also agree that for some types of riding the (open desert, or higher speed/less technical sections, and commuting) the stock ratios are fine.

BTW, I went back to Gearing Commander site, just to make sure I wasn't misremembering things - the 690 has very similar ratios in the lower gears to a Honda CR500...
  2. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 690 I rode had some balky shifting and neutrals hit going from 1st to 2nd, which was odd, as generally speaking the shifting was quite smooth. I asked the owner if he ever hit the shift lever hard and he said, "Don't think so." He reported nuetrals elsewhere too.

Watched this review last night:

There have been model improvements since the review, but I sat up and took notice regarding the transmission ratios, as in too close together, with higher 1st and lower 6th. Frankly, I find that design compromise ridiculous and wasteful in a big single. Not wide ratio was my main complaint when I rode the KTM 500.

The new motor with second balancer would help offset the perception of being short changed in 6th on the highway because of less vibration at higher revs, but still....

This and a few other details has for now has put me off this model.

So I'm back to keeping the much farkled KLR for my road bike and am signed up to test ride the Betas in January for the everything else bike.

Back to the "which engine size" madness and watching 50 videos of people riding Betas who can't seem to competently compare a 390 to a 430 when the speak into their helmet mics. With a smorgasbord demo ride I will finally get to figure that out.
    XT Traveler and sprouty115 like this.
  3. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just speculating, as we all do at the moment, but I believe that dash will be similar to mini unit that 701 has, since they are chasing EXC looks. I always hated those mini dashes, but that may not be a bad thing on this bike, since there will be more room to mount GPS on some sort of bracket, above the dash. At first, I thought I may miss gear indicator or rev counter, but I can't remember when I looked at those info when I was riding 690...
    Requiem84 and Olleg like this.
  4. Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City, St George, UT & Seattle -
    I really like the current 690 dash cluster- Took a test drive, looked at it twice but not a huge fan of the 2001'ish look/functionality of the 701 unit -
  5. motometal

motometal i like motorcycles

Oddometer:
    I would think they would please more people starting with the longer suspension and letting folks lower the bike if needed. It's not that bad to add a lowering link and slide the forks up in the clamps, or even do a mechanical mod to the forks (spacer behind the top out spring?). But modding for MORE travel usually is more expensive or not even practical.

It is true that 10" is fine for most of what folks use these bikes for, but when you hit that unexpected washout or want to play on singletrack for a bit...every little bit of travel matters. Preventing bottoming with 10" vs. 12" means the mid stroke is likely going to be stiffer/harsher.

Designing the gear ratios vs. the engine characteristics and intended usage is quite a challenge. For example the XR650L has too large of a gap between 1st and 2nd for any real off roading. The TE610 has a pretty sweet gearbox all around, although they stretched the gap between 5th and 6th which can be a little annoying if you cruise a lot around 45-50 mph.

Seems to me it would make sense to make use of having two models (701 and 690) to give two choices on suspension travel etc. Instead of having one be a clone of the other.
    renogeorge likes this.
  6. KC-10ENG

KC-10ENG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No 690 rumors at all. Scary.
  8. Nw_adventure

Oddometer:
    And still nothing ? Ready to fly to Austria to get to the bottom of this -
  9. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    eicma showed the new 690 enduro and SMC. looks like leaked specs were true!

check out specs here on international site: https://www.ktm.com/en/travel/690-enduro-r

701 frame, 701 engine, all the electronics (below), WP 48 xplor forks, diff seat styling, etc etc. looks great!

MTC (TC)
    ride modes
    cornerning abs (w/ offroad abs mode)
    lean angle sensor
    quickshifter+

even looks like they squeezed another half liter out of the fuel tank, sitting at an approx 13.5 liters on the site compared to the 701's spec sheet that reads a flat 13 - every bit counts I guess :D

although its 250mm suspension travel vs the 701's 275mm, guess thats a downside but from what I understand Xplor is a huge upgrade to 4CS
    SnickterP and Nw_adventure like this.
  10. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    146kg dry. Porkier than the previous gen, but at least lighter than the white boat anchor :lol3
  11. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like it. Similar to previous, but that may be a good thing. Model that evolves this long should be as close to bulletproof as possible. Still waiting for photos of the dash and some details.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  12. Nw_adventure

Oddometer:
    Sweet ! Led light uogrades as well ? Gauge cluster ? Redesigned seat. Take my money -)
  13. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. KC-10ENG

KC-10ENG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Nw_adventure

Oddometer:
    Well goodbye nice gauge cluster but hello larger fuel tank, more reasonable seat height, more HP and electronic gizmos. Guessing a 11,800 US list..
    SnickterP likes this.
  16. Nw_adventure

Oddometer:
    EU getting a totally different 690 R ? Check out the 4 minute mark- Exhaust on the right side ?

Takataka likes this.
  17. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    And the chain, the shifter and brakes too! A total redesign!
    Doctor Zed, Anders- and zivi123 like this.
  18. Nw_adventure

Oddometer:
    Why such a difference between the US spec'ed version ?
  19. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I was playing along, but now I'm wondering if you are being serious...
    :hmmmmm
    zivi123 and renogeorge like this.
  20. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Backwards graphics too. Must be for viewing with a mirror...