2019 KTM 690 SMC R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DIRTLER, Feb 7, 2019.

1. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I was trying to look up the KTM part numbers for the OEM graphics using the KTM parts finder I found on Teasdale KTM's website, but I didn't see them on the sub-page that had the fenders and mask. Anyone know how to find those part numbers? I was trying to figure out how to order some to be shipped over to us ungrateful colonials.
  2. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are they included with the bike? So if the dealer doesn't fit them they will include them and can be fitted after without fitting the rear hand grab rails?
  3. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Yes, the bolt holes are there. Your dealer really is supposed to install them. If you want the best look, get a Perun tail rack and add their optional grab handles. Functional, and very sexy looking. Let me try and find a pic.
  4. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    i mean are the passenger pegs included? I don't want the grab rails, but would like the pegs.
  5. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Yes, they come with the bike. If your dealer shorted you, give them hell!
  6. Carmmond

Carmmond S.E. WI

Oddometer:
    I’m glad I had mine installed…. I dropped the bike a couple weeks ago and the pegs stick out far enough they saved the side plastics.
  7. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't bought one yet, just making sure i know what should be included. KTM, great bikes, terrible website showing you exactly what you get in each country as it varies widely depending on the market it's sold in.
    I definitely want the pegs as sometimes I give my eldest kid a ride places.
    Thanks for the help.
  8. khemist

khemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Got my Puig windshield fitted, will test it out tomorrow.
    Carmmond likes this.
  9. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    for the 2021 models, what is the difference between the ktm 690 smc r and the Husky 701? other than the colours and seat shape?
  10. scottfromboston

scottfromboston Bullshit meter pegged

Oddometer:
    Mine was delivered with the pegs installed, but the grab handles in a box. The handles require drilling holes in the bodywork, which I'm glad they didn't do.
  11. andykeck

andykeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike came with the passenger pegs installed but without the holes drilled for the handles. I immediately removed the pegs, then in a fit of perversity, drilled the plastics and mounted the handles. I use the handles all the time as an anchor for strapping stuff down (duffel bags, boxes, whatever) on to the rear seat.

To answer the larger question though, all the bikes come with passenger pegs, heel guards for use when the pegs are removed, rear handles, alternate hardware for mounting the levers without handguards, and all the hardware to fit all of that.
    JoeMongo likes this.
  12. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    thank you, that's a great help.
    now just decide husky or ktm.... i hear the husky may have fixed the clutch slave, where the ktm has not. but cant get a definite answer on other differences for 2021.
  13. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the 21s, but for me, the 690 is a no-brainer for 19 and 20. KTM gave the 690 a new and much improved frame that made it turn better and feel narrower as you move forward on the bike. I believe that the 701 stuck with the old frame in 19, but got the new frame in 2020. But, they stuck with the old seat/plastic setup where the front of the seat wraps around the plastics (I may be describing it poorly), so it still feels strangely wide.
  14. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes, it still has the wrapped front part of the seat. I'll go check it out in the dealer and see how it feels to sit on.
    I've ridden a 2020 Ktm, and older models, but the 2021 models I haven't even seen them in person yet. KTM/Husky do a terrible job showing the specs for each region.
  15. Carmmond

Carmmond S.E. WI

Oddometer:
    How did you like it, how much protection did it give you?
  16. khemist

khemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gives a little more comfort at high speeds, not a massive amount, i'll probably keep it on.
    Carmmond likes this.
  17. khemist

khemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought these are stock but they i don't think they are, there are no graphics on the front or rear fender and headlight mask on the stock bike, this is the kit the previous owner must have applied. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133019764176?hash=item1ef89885d0:g:mEwAAOSw-9Ncr2ZS
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  18. scottfromboston

scottfromboston Bullshit meter pegged

Oddometer:
    Wow. It really does look factory. Good find.

Prior owner did a good job picking and choosing what to put on, IMO. Tasteful.
  19. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Nice! As usual, advrider stopped sending me notifications, so I hadn’t been back here for a while. Finally installed my aftermarket airbox so that KTM can’t screw me over for probably the 5th time in the last 8-10 with a crappy airbox feeding dirt to the motor.
    5F65FDE5-E172-4FF1-868F-621901CBCF26.jpeg
  20. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up my new 2021 690 SMC-R and on the ride home the low fuel light kept coming on. Mainly when stopped, but occasionally when moving too.
    Is there likely to be some simple fix, like the senor wire i'snt plugged in fully before I call up the dealer?

I've ordered a wings pipe, wow the stock exhaust generates a lot of heat. So much more noticeable than my old 990 Adv.