2019 KTM 690 SMC R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DIRTLER, Feb 7, 2019.

1. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I have to ask; have filled it up with fuel yet? When mine is low, it will come on after sitting on the side stand or a long curve. You’d think that there would be enough hysteresis built in to not happen when riding, but maybe your sensor is just more sensitive.
  2. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, i rode off the dealer lot and first stop was the gas station, the cheapskates at the dealer had it almost empty, it took 13.4 litres to fill it up. So basically a full tank.
    But it's still been coming on after filling it to the brim.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  3. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    well after another ride this evening it seems to have sorted itself out. maybe it was just because it was so empty for however long it's sat in the showroom for.
  4. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it's back again today. After about another 50km taking me up to 150km since I filled up it happened again. So i filled it up, took about 6 litres, so less than half a tank, and now it's still happening even with a completely full tank.

So any suggestions before I take it into the dealer? Thanks
  5. khemist

khemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a relief!.
    hezv4 and Carmmond like this.
  6. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Still waiting on my SC seat.
  7. khemist

khemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got lucky, i contacted a place in the UK that had a shipment of seats coming in with some spare, only had to wait a couple of weels.
  8. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, I forgot to mention the small detail. I don’t buy gripper seat tops. Great for Moto, it for long DS rides, they tear your butt up. I get the low slip vinyl or Diamante vinyl, either is fine. If you’ve only ridden SC seats with the typical gripper top, try one without it and you’ll never go back.
  9. khemist

khemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't have the option of trying any others, i'll make do with this, still a nice upgrade.
  10. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    The foam is the same, so that one is still a huge upgrade over stock. I just find that after an extended time in the saddle, especially when it is hot, I find that the gripper material kind of chafes my butt. Like monkey butt when you are riding 100% effort in the woods all day, just not as bad. But I see you're in Scotland, so the weather being hot is obviously not a concern :lol3
  11. khemist

khemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it could be a little more comfortable if i stick a cool cover on it but i'm pretty happy with it for now.
  12. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW: I FINALLY got my enduro wheels mounted up on my 2019 SMC. I followed the instructions as per the posting here on ADVRider for the 701, but found the offset on the front rotor to be a bit different. Just swapped the positioning on the spacers, and now its 100%. I'll post some picts when i get back to the bike.

Overall rides well, but its clearly not a supermoto anymore. Gotta push it a bit to turn where the 17s would just fall when ever you pushed it. Still, looking very forward to finding some dirt this weekend :-)

On another note, OD NOT forget to swap the rear spacer over. I forgot, and put a nice gouge in my rear rotor! Glad I pulled over, for I'm sure I would have fried the bearing or seized the rotor.
  13. Carmmond

Carmmond S.E. WI

Oddometer:
    Anyone else having problems with the front fork seals leaking? Had my 2020 in for warranty work on the front seals and it's leaking for a second time.....
  14. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that sounds like you have a nick/scratch on your fork sliders. Or possibly bad installation from the dealer, but I'd check the sliders for something. Doesnt take much for them to leak.

I would say dirt/grit in the sliders, but after changing the seals, its unlikely. There's a simple plastic tool out there for cleaning your seals.
    Carmmond likes this.
  15. stevenc

stevenc Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate those pesky wheelie monitors LOL.
    Carmmond likes this.
  16. Carmmond

Carmmond S.E. WI

Oddometer:
    Have to call the technician in the morning but the parts person tonight said they have a fork tube on order……

Sorry it took so long to respond facing a Cath…. Having chest problems.
  17. scottfromboston

scottfromboston Bullshit meter pegged

Oddometer:
    Dreaded clutch slave failure... 319.5 miles. Off to the dealer...

The part has been superseded since early 2020 models, but is 5-8 business days out. The Oberon (or a prophylactic o-ring replacement) seems like cheap insurance compared to a dealer trip on a trailer, even under warranty.
  18. scottfromboston

scottfromboston Bullshit meter pegged

Oddometer:
    I knocked around the idea of just using 17" trail tires on the SMC wheels; there are some good options. OK for casual Northeast gravel road riding, but I suspect that I'd have to make more changes for anything more severe - TAT in 2023 is being kicked around. I'll probably just add to the stable...
  19. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just finished a long weekend at the Dirt Days event in New Hapshire. Overall, the 21/18 wheels did well on the typical gravel roads of the north east, and I would imagine the 17" with TCK 80s would as well.

Was fortunately enough to find some short logging roads that were packed with large rocks, hills, and very soft soil; those were fun, but enjoyed them better on my girlfriend's little Beta 125. The 690 feels like a bit oversized in the technical stuff for sure, but takes some experience to feel confident. This was my first time out on the bike with off road tires.

Oh, also wished I put the stock seat back on. Love the comfort of the Seat Concepts tall seat, but the stock lower and much narrower stock seat would have been preferred off road. Plus, the discomfort of the stock seat would have kept my ass off the seat too! (Maybe KTM was smart to make the seat so uncomfortable??)
    scottfromboston likes this.