2019 Morocco: The Door of Africa

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GF-kam, Dec 14, 2019.

1. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    cont. DAY 8 : Fez to Ceuta

A beautiful lake area we pass not far from Ceuta.
    49168366593_a8e8db2bf9_o.jpg

49169244927_8672c68006_o.jpg
    ilten, TheBritAbroad and Ginger Beard like this.
  2. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    DAY 9: Ceuta to Malaga

Today is our last day. From our parador in Ceuta to our Ferry is a short couple of Kilometers. Since we're already in Spanish territory, we don't have any further passport checks.

This time we cross Gibraltar on a high speed ferry between Ceuta, Spain and Algeciras, Spain.
    49174494926_e58c9872b4_o.jpg

Bikes all loaded up onto the ferry and looking forward some more snoozing as we cross the channel.
    49168366283_ea08c5c4c8_o.jpg

This is coach inside the ferry. I guess there is a business / first class also. Not really worth it. Coach is comfortable and plenty of space for short one hour crossing.
    49168366243_94d3d6f43b_o.jpg

Everyones upbeat despite only few hours of sleep.
    49168847241_0f84cd8be7_o.jpg

Dropping the bikes off where we picked them up in Malaga. Back at IMTBike bike storage facility. Highly recommend IMTBike for self guided rental or group tours. 5 star outfit. The website doesn't do them justice. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
    49169072772_1382a230d3_o.jpg
  3. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the read and excellent photos. Hard to beat the visuals of desert landscapes. Am wondering how the total cost of your trip might compare to wandering S.A. for a year on a dr650 if one did that year long wander while carefully managing expenses. Well no doubt the year long wander would have a higher cost. Great RR. Thanks Merlin
  4. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are so many parameters that would need to be defined to even contemplate a response to the economics of this question. Things like are you planning to live off bike ( camp ) or stay in hotel, auberge, or coach surf. Rent or buy bike. Lodge of camp. I concur. No doubt a year would cost magnitudes of order more. I've done very comfortable lodging trips out west in the Rockies with my Yamaha WR250R for $50 - $75 per day. Similar in Baja.

For me this was a vacation with friends. As you know most of us working stiff in U.S. only have 2 weeks of vacation on average. So, "time" alone is a stringent parameter for most of us. I can tell you that the same trip self guided vs. with group would be about 25% to 30% cheaper.

I see your handle shows P.E. I hope to visit the Canadian Maritimes next summer. Hoping to spend a week riding mostly around Nova Scotia.

Kam
  5. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have a wr250r. It will leave next November in our wee toy wagon for a winter in Baja. I’m fortunate in that 13 years ago at 50 I was abel to pack it in. Although my brother has a large beef operation that on a part time( 15-20 weeks a year) basest I help. Do swing by pei for a few days of exploring. My little toy wagon is comfortable for 2 and your more than welcome to be my guest . A bit of advice as to when to be on pei. We get far to many tourists here. June 20 to September 10 peak tourist season. Humidity very high July 1-August 10. Best bike riding here is September 10- 30. With June 1-20 second best. This would hold true with Nova Scotia also. New Brunswick has some excellent forestry road riding in its northern half. Although damn bugs bad in June, as I foolishly found out June this year. In fact although to soon to say for sure but I’ll likely pull the toy wagon to northern N.B. In mid September for a few days of much fun. Use a DRZ( 440 )I call desert beast for that. Here’s my e mail ( merlinjay7@gmail.com). I know all the shop owners here. Or if you need an address to ship tires or parts I’ll give you my mail address. O by the way I’ve been in your Virginia more than 100 times. Need any help with Canadian or Mexican peddles shoot me a mail. Merlin
    GF-kam likes this.
  6. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pete Pilot (Merlin) for the weather information and good times to ride up to maritimes. Excellent information. Last year, I had planned trip in mid September, but the hurricane Dorian hit directly. Will keep you posted. Thanks Kam.
  7. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    Fantastic!!!

What a wonderful location, and great pictures. Thanks so much for sharing, and the detail on routes etc. This has definitely got my juices flowing for a similar trip. Please don't tell me you took those photos with a smartphone!

Seriously, would like to know your camera/phone of choice. Your pics are spectacular.

:thumb
    GF-kam likes this.
  8. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey MaddBrit,

You should definitely do Morocco. Beautiful scenery, roads, culture, food, people, and country. You could easily spend 3 - 4 weeks to take it all in. I really rushed it.

Thanks on photos. I am just an amateur. Getting better with my video footage and camera shots. I normally carry a small Nikon Coolpix pocket camera. But, on this trip I got lazy and just packed my Apple iPhone XR. With all the auto focus and lighting it really is hard to tell the difference between my iPhone and Nikon. I think cameras are going the way of typewriter and film cameras.

Most of my video on bike was taken with a Sena Prism Tube. Great focus, mic for V- blogging, and color contrast is excellent. Easy slider ON/OFF switch. It only shoots in 1080p at 60 fps. But, I like the fact that it is always accessible. Holds 32GB microSD card max. No indication of how full it is. I typically shoot short 30 second to 60 minute shots. Makes it a lot easier in editing process. Looks like Sena has a new WiFi version which makes is easy to adjust the camera on helmet:

I used my GoPro HERO 7 Black for the day in Merzouga sand dunes. I put the GoPro on a chest harness . So, my hands were free while riding the quad. Didn't work out to well for the bike shots because of the interference from windshield location. I need to figure out a mounting system for the helmet. Although, I did shoot with the GoPro in the 2700 range, everything gets downgraded to 1080p in editing process.

Yes the smartphone cameras are getting better for still photos.

Kam
  9. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Kam.

I also have an Apple XR, so I have no excuses! Seriously, take the credit for those pictures as they are outstanding, picture book quality. Morocco is on my list.

Bob
    TheBritAbroad and GF-kam like this.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know earlier in this ride report, I mentioned two big rallies are coming up on January 2020. Over the past few years I've been following Lyndon Poskitt and his amazing Dakar Rally race events. If you're not familiar with Lyndon and his Races 2 Places adventures, he has some amazing footage. He just posted the second episode of his Africa 2020 Eco Race. As mentioned earlier five stages of this race will be in Morocco.

Nice to see KLIM step up with providing gear for all five racers.
  11. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thinking of the people of Spain and Morocco. COVID-19 death toll in Spain has now surpassed China. Praying this will be over.
    Dessert Storm and Hakatan like this.
  12. peter4d

peter4d Life is an adventure

Oddometer:
    Just so you know Octopus has another helicopter deck at the rear and a hanger for two Twin turbine helicopters.

Been onboard twice, but only as I was supplying the vessel fuel. Absolutely amazing vessel.
    GF-kam likes this.
  13. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have some amazing stories to share. When I was walking up to the vessel, I thought it was a cruise ship.
  14. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    Nice flash-back for me, merci!
    GF-kam likes this.
  15. b4thenite

b4thenite Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great photos. Loved Maroc.
    GF-kam likes this.
  16. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    The EU member countries are looking to open up the EU for non essential international travels. So hopefully Morocco won't be too far behind.

I am stuck in U.S.. The rest of the world had beaten COVID-19; the number of active cases are manageable. Unfortunately looks like U.S., Brazil, and Russia will join the banned countries. Bravo !
  17. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed a few inmates visiting this ride report again. We must be getting closer to the dog days of summer. The Mid Atlantic region continues to get hotter and wetter with each year. Thank goodness for all the great ride reports on ADV.

A public PSA. Can you help a inmate out. I would love to post more exotic ride reports. I really want to travel overseas again. So can you help me out and wear a mask. Maybe ADV can come up with a sticker and slogan. Something like " Real Adventure Riders Wear A Mask "

wear-a-mask-poster-design-template-5b56420cc52d0678cc0497015b80a650_screen.jpg

If we don't get our virus under control, I think Europe and rest of world is going to off limit to U.S. travelers.
    mtncrawler and ilten like this.