2019 NASA Rallysport Sandblast Rally

Discussion in 'Racing' started by GoGoGavin41, Oct 4, 2018.

1. rkdwp

rkdwp Axel Anderson Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chiming in with the other first timers, I had the most fun I've ever had on a bike, learned a bunch at Bill's class, and met plenty of fine people. I can't wait for the next one.

And I guess I'm joining facebook again :flush
    keepshoveling and James Adams like this.
  2. Holden

Holden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At the risk of being exiled/banished...

What is the difference between an enduro (restart format) and a rally? (other than Enduro being run on more single track vs roads). Is it the speed averages or something else?
  3. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    We'll grant you this one...

From a format perspective - basically nothing. From a terrain, speed, riding style perspective - a lot.

Enduro is to [Stage] Rally as a Spartan Race (or mud run or whatever) is to the 400m (or really a series of 400ms).
  4. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    First major difference is that you keep your own time, which you might have in Enduro at one point but I haven't had to at any of the Nationals I've raced.

Second thing: zero single track (for this one and BRS) and longer tramsits between stages. Plus lots of, honestly way too much, rest time between stages. If staying focused and warmed up is important to you you'll need to do a jumping jack or something between stages.

Third thing: SPEED and terrain. I might hit 45 once in an enduro. My normal average (using Strava) is about 13-16mph for most Enduro tests.
    Last year my bike was geared to approach 110mph this year it was geared lower because only about 90 was necessary for my style and it was hard to keep it in the power with last year's gearing in the sand.

That's about all I can think. The terrain isn't incredibly challenging but keeping the bike absolutely pinned at every opportunity to do so is.
    GREWUPIN_D11 likes this.
  5. kainam00

kainam00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only similarity between an enduro and stage rally is that you're racing a motorcycle against the clock against others on motorcycles. Lowest time generally wins (exception might be timekeeping enduros and transits).

Everything else is different -
    * Lower heart rate but bigger pucker factor.
    * Much higher speeds, so medium to large displacement bikes work well.
    * Stages are on roads. Stage rallies combined with cars means that the terrain can be handled by a typical stock 2WD car.
    * Transits are on roads. Both bike and rider need to be street legal.
    * No two strokes (at least in NASA).
    * It's an all day or multiple day thing. You cover hundreds of miles, most of which are typically transits.
    Mr. Ray likes this.
  6. NVTS

NVTS Arrivee Secteur Special Supporter

Oddometer:
    Super shallow request here...
    Were there any photographers at sandblast that sell pics?
  7. mailbox

mailbox n00b

Oddometer:
    keepshoveling likes this.
  8. GREWUPIN_D11

GREWUPIN_D11 GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer:
    Big speed difference between tight single track and dirt roads with long straight stretches. At the Leadbelt Enduro in June 2018, I averaged 15 mph on my DRZ over the 38 mile course. At Sandblast 2019, I averaged 52 mph on the same bike.

Also, strictly speaking, an enduro is not a race. Even in restart format it's theoretically possible to lose points by going too fast (I think). Even though most of the speed schedules are set so high that no rider keeps to the schedule, and the winner is the rider who fell behind schedule the least.
    keepshoveling and Mr. Ray like this.
  9. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Finishing is a real accomplishment- starting is actually a real accomplishment as well :D so Congrats to all
  10. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Looks like some more folks have posted videos. ahem, @rkdwp and @GoGoGavin41

First,

Then, a fast dude.

Some other fast dudes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg8wcqQ1Hxo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmNbPci4cBk

Does he even know what brakes are?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aScVr1D_rlo

From last year. Just want to point out that @eldridge173 isn't fast, he's just riding a super fast bike and it is unfair and in the interest of sportsmanship and fair play he should ride something less good. Like a ruckus. Or a TW200 (bored out to 214, obviously).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67WkZh1U32s
    Stagehand, WIsixfitty, rkdwp and 3 others like this.
  11. rkdwp

Oddometer:
    the best part of any of my videos is around halfway through each when Randy Richardson comes FLYING by. dude was so so fast!

you missed this one

I was pretty scared of having this happen, as you can see when I crawl through every 90 degree turn.
  12. eldridge173

eldridge173 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @keepshoveling

LOL
    rumor is my bike will be banned from next years race because it is in fact considered a 2 stroke base on much oil it burns:rofl
  13. GREWUPIN_D11

GREWUPIN_D11 GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer:
    Nothing to be scared of when you get to pick your line into the woods avoiding trees as you overshoot the turn. You did get around the corner much more quickly than the rider who overshot, which is a benefit.
  14. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    This is a thing I really need to work on. Not so much picking lines into trees, but as I get on the brakes it seems like there’s a tipping point and at some point my brain just goes “fuck no.” And I basically brake in almost a straight line until I get to a speed that my brain can catch up processing again.

Obviously ride more, practice lines so it’s not an issue, but I think I should also figure out a way to practice braking that’s outside my comfort zone. I’m just not sure how to do that without being stupid. More stupid than usual anyway.

You can see McNeil braking, steering and, I think, getting ready to transition into his next line well before he’s stopped. I would come in hot, barely miss a tree (although I do generally miss them so that’s something) and then need to stop before getting back on the throttle.

Anyway, my point is I’m rewatching randy Richardson pass @rkdwp over and over and I think the secret is just always be on the gas and get good so that you don’t crash when you’re always on the gas. Should be easy enough.
  15. rkdwp

Oddometer:
    we did some braking drills in Bill’s class, and I imagine a few dozen hours of work with those wouldn't hurt. throw some cones in the van and let’s go ride soon. it's almost sorta warm out.

so simple, so difficult.
    keepshoveling and Mr. Ray like this.
  16. Leget

Leget Rally Tractor Pilot

Oddometer:
    +1

I do the same thing every once in a while, here's a good example of one of those times.
    I remember when this happened, I couldn't tell which way the course went while approaching the intersection and i thought I was going too fast to make a turn in either direction. Looks much slower on video compared to where i was sitting at the time. LOL

rkdwp, keepshoveling and GoGoGavin41 like this.
  17. Trust

Trust but verify

Oddometer:
    I'm no racer, but I thought there was an arrow set up approaching that intersection (I worked that marshalling point) indicating direction of turn ... is there no time for looking at arrows and such during the race? (Not *remotely* critical, just curious!)
  18. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    There were. But depending on the terrain sometimes you miss them.
    Leget likes this.
  19. Leget

Leget Rally Tractor Pilot

Oddometer:
    Like James said, there are arrows but I probably missed more than I saw.
    The ones I did see weren’t exactly confidence inspiring to me.
    As far as track markings go I relied more on the caution tape than anything else,
    and occasionally spectators waving and pointing... LOL
    James Adams likes this.