2019 Polar Bear Adventure Rally

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by kaosrider, Sep 11, 2018.

1. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Huge thanks to Rob "the legend" for his services every year (he skips a race to do it). Not only as A leader, which few could pull off (it's a rowdy bunch : ), but he's also buddies with the head ranger who gives us some latitude at the campground (we need it) and keeps the back gate open all weekend. Thanks Dave Beezy for sweeping too.

Thanks to Nick and his sweep in B, the Big Rooster (Scott) and sweep in the 2nd B group and leading the Sunday ride. Brec and Garrett for coming on last minute and handling C, they'd never done this before (if you're ever worried you may get hurt on a ride pick them, both are firemen and paramedics and know what they're doing, on several levels) Thanks to Big Tim (playinatwork) and Mr. Guns (sweep) for doing the Adv ride and Chris (ADVNeophyte) as middle sweep. These guys work their butts off picking up the battleships all day long but it sure looked like they had fun (got to see some preview vids). 1st time for Tim as a leader too but he took to it like a duck to water combining his dirt experience (80's factory ATK rider) and years of Iron Butt experience plus he introduced a new method (bread crumbs) which we may expand on in the future. Last but by far not least thanks to Rich, Eric, Fred, and Sam for working with the D group, they're creating better riders. All of these guys are natural leaders in their day jobs and we're lucky to have them, thanks again fellows..

And thanks to all that chipped in to do the work behind the scenes, it's more than you'd think and there are too many to list but I have to single out Rich and Eric, every year they go way beyond the call of duty and is amazing what they do before, during, and after the event!! Thanks for all the preparations and hospitality of Cotton, Tommy, and the Wilders, locals that help us immensely and for whom it wouldn't even be possible.

Lastly thanks to everyone that showed up to ride, especially in the face of impending forecast (we know by now those usually turn out to be duds : ) You guys make the event and why we keep doing it, hope you had fun and hopefully we'll see you next time.
  2. FL Pepper

FL Pepper OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer:
    Best Polar Bear eveh!!
    Weather was great, food good, camping buddies awesome!
    Thank you Rich for an awesome ride through Belmore
    Thanks to Dave & Andy for sharing their camp spot
    Thanks to Sarah for cooking and all the food
    Thanks to Cotton for awesome chili and having us at his home
    Thanks to the guys who bought steaks and to Andy for cooking mine perfect
    Thanks to everybody else who makes this weekend great!

Can't wait for next year
    20190105_102112.jpg 20190105_112036.jpg
    LuvThumping, kaosrider, KTee and 4 others like this.
  3. Tom1125

Tom1125 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was pretty serious... for like an hour.

Attached Files:

ruckusracing and DaveBeezy like this.
  4. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for another polar bear rally.
    waybill likes this.
  5. Onebadscooter

Onebadscooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree, thanks for another great weekend!

Brought a first timer along, loaned out my trusty KTM and he scored this stickie somehow, sometime on the Friday small bike ride. He asked if it was commentary on his riding style, the bike, or ? 20190105_112050.jpg
  6. 2l8comes2fast

2l8comes2fast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the CADS team for putting together this awesome event. First time ever off-road for me (and yes it showed).
    Saturday started off great... bike tipped over while setting up my tent... crushed a blinker and cracked a hand guard... BEFORE hitting the trails ! :(
    My findings from time spent in the saddle and time spent laying in the sand:
    1. Heavy bike + street tires + sand = humbling experience.
    2. Forest sand tastes different than beach sand.
    Anyway, I'm hooked. Looking fw to attend one of the upcoming meetings.
    I do need to convince my better half that I need a better suited toy though :)

Unfortunately my Saturday afternoon ride was cut short due to a clutch cable issue that immobilized by Vstrom.

Thanks a million Fred for sticking with me while waiting for the cavalry (Rich and Eric, THANKS!) to swoop in with a 4WD truck and a trailer to get me back to camp... and then dropped me off at home 35 miles away!!
    Awesome people!
  7. FL Pepper

FL Pepper OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer:
    218comes2fast, you were awesome! I enjoyed riding behind you just to watch you save yourself from giving the big girl a mud bath. Too bad about your clutch, btdt

One thing I learned from watching the KLRs in the mud is that Torrances are street tires, lol. Don't know what you had on that Strom but you did great in those mud holes.
    Ginger Beard and kaosrider like this.
  8. wahorn

wahorn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In his defense He was probably pretty tired as the sweep from helping pick up all the bikes in this route before this spot. He was the last to go through after 4-5 others dropped it in the same spot. It was very loose sand after that.

Ashley
    waybill and playinatwork like this.
  9. wahorn

wahorn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very true.
  10. fldirtrider

fldirtrider ktm 525, 690, bmw 1200gs

Oddometer:
    A big Thumbs up to the entire CADS group. I and also my wife ( that didn't attend this ride ) have attended Rallies and XFLA since 2014 and they just get better each time. It takes tremendous time and effort to put together such an event and pull it off so well and under funded. FREE..... Great places to stay, ride, and enjoy our favorite pastime with all like minded people. There are several ride group levels to welcome every skill level. From the rallies base-camp to the Friday lunch at Cotton's , Giant steak dinner and The Welcoming of all riders Saturday night at the Lake House with good food, warm fires and prize drawings. And by the way I won the awesome Klim pant's this year, Thanks to Dean for splitting the camp site by paying me back with paying for my dinner as his part of campsite which gave me the winning ticket. LMAO I was welcomed into Brec and Garrets group on Friday on the 690 for a great day ending with some flavor-able hand signals from a local resident as he blocked the road. Guess he wanted a better look at the orange bikes and like them so much he kept gesturing he want to f&$%. Seemed like a friendly feller. Saturday was an incredible day of Brisk riding on the 525exc with Nick as our ride leader doing a tremendous job with a very fast moving fluid day of miles. Sunday Dean and I separated from the group ride to venture back to Ocala for more fun as others went to Micanopy, hated to not go but Ocala was calling again. Overall except for a short bit of rain which only attributed to great conditions to follow, the weather was tremendous. Gonna miss the upcoming XFLA but will see you all on the next CADS event. Also will be attending the Broxton Bridge Rooster Run in SC on the 19-20 of this month which is a great event, Maybe see some of you there. Thanks again to CADS and all those who make it possible, so lets all do our part to keep the club viable for the future of Motorsports. CHEERS.............Scott
  11. Fango87

Fango87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome weekend!
    Thank you all who organized this event! The mere fact that some of you volunteered to put this together and to babysit those who were new to dirt, just goes to show that is true what Honda used to say: You meet the nicest people on a motorcycle.

Aside from an hour of downpour, which I think just kept the sand at bay, this weekend was perfect! Great people, great food, great weather and, most importantly, great riding! Banged up my foot after a fall, that tiger is one heavy kitten, had to take it easy the rest of Saturday, but it’s all good, feeling better already.

I didn’t take as many pictures as I would have liked to, but I’ll post what I got another time.

Anybody have videos of my spectacular falls? Lol
    waybill, Tom1125 and beefcake morris like this.
  12. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had a great time, as usual. Didn't do a lot of riding, but burned a couple of tanks through the old Wee. Got a ride on an Africa Twin, and I am thinking one is in my future.

Many thanks to all who organized and helped out. You always put together great events!

Love my Unicorn! He will be sleeping with me tonight!
    [​IMG]
  13. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Game on, enjoy the 11 min of fellowship and fodder!

14. tomarsyd

tomarsyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Echoing the big thanks to all the organizers for putting together a great weekend. I won't name anyone for fear of leaving someone out. I know there were many who put in time and effort to pull this off. It's greatly appreciated.

I was able to attend only because someone wasn't. Due to a last minute cancellation of a cabin rental, I snagged it up for friday and saturday night. I failed majorly on the picture taking front this year, but hopefully got some decent gopro footage.

Big thanks to Steven (@ruckusracing) and Garret (@gbcoker91) for leading/sweeping the C group on Saturday.

Got home fairly early on sunday and had the little blue bastard cleaned up by noon. A record for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    He’d have been better off if someone with some emergency medical background were leading his group. :hide
  16. Dr Fixit

Dr Fixit KTM 1290 SAR Adventurer, Explorer, Fun Seeker.

Oddometer:
    Thanks CADS, Well Planned Event, awesome sat ride. Good food, Good tracks Thanks to Nick leading B group. Good riding with
    All B group riders, didn't get to meet everyone. We was hauling ass many times all good riders.
    Thanks to all for a great ride. Looking forward to next year.
  17. Tom1125

Tom1125 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dammit Colemanfu! Your video makes me want a little bike to go play in the woods with now!!
  18. LunaDog

LunaDog Black Dog of the Family

Oddometer:
    -
    Awesome idea on building a team to run mostly off road. Def caught my attention with the idea of riding my YZ125 with a group like this.

Wondering if CADS ever considered hosting the PB event at an alternate location such as Delancy OHV campground in ONF.

This weekend really showed what a great group it truly is. I know first hand. It was my WR that had the front flat in ONF. Team Leader stopped, and within two minutes, a tool kit shows up, my wheel was off, someone pulled a brand new 21" tube out of thin air, and wallaha, wheel back on and the team was rolling again.

Now my front end started to really go in the direction it was pointed, I think it had been flat for ten miles before I really noticed it.

But that "All in it together" and willingness to help in a flash, is not, just a mantra of this group of people, its really true. This is a group of really great people.

I know no ones names. But really would like to know who I can send a couple of new tubes from Amazon Prime ? Our leader, who really showed Leadership Skills, and hauled ass along the way, just sayin'.

I also was the one with a late scheduled change, no reservations available, post to this forum, and wallah, in an hour I had Site 6 from someone I never met, Cutty. Made my weekend much easier. Thanks Cutty. Park Ranger very helpful with the transition. Thank you Mr. Park Ranger.

I have a lot of helmet video, hope to get a highlite reel posted soon.
    (I also hope to get a Michelin bib mousse soon too.)
  19. roadking99

roadking99 semper fi aka The Big Rooster

Oddometer:
    I was the lead on your ride Saturday. Glad you enjoyed the day. We will continue to look for different riding options. Gold head just seem to work the best. As far as the tube.....Dr Goll is the guy who gave you the tube.
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Good meeting you man! I thoroughly enjoyed watching you do things on that bike that no XT has done before!

And of course a massive thank you to everyone involved with putting together another amazing PBR! I look forward to this event every year and for good reason, it's a blast!!

IMG_20190107_175259_148.jpg

IMG_20190107_175259_147.jpg

IMG_20190106_125604.jpg

IMG_20190106_140450.jpg