2019 R1250 GS / GSA ShiftCam ordered or incoming

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by krussell, Sep 20, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Met Jocelin and Cassie at the MOA Contributors dinner last week. Jocelin is quite short, Cassie not as much. both are on 1250GS bikes and both are trainers for BMW. They do make it work. I didn't bother do ask if the 1250s are their daily bikes but no matter what, they're both exceptional riders on big bikes.
  2. OntarioHawk

OntarioHawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So where do you fine folks carry your manual/ownership/title/insurance on the bike? My manual helpfully suggests to store the book etc under the passenger seat...in a place occupied by a black box on my actual bike. The downloaded manual I have (US version) goes on to say don't store anything under the rider or passenger seat (pg. 90).

I'd just carry the ownership and insurance slips in my jacket, but I'm constantly switching jackets with this weather and woudn't want to forget it and get caught out for it. Every other bike I've owned has space for these items.
  3. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    I keep registration in a ziplock bag under the seat. Insurance card is in my State Farm app in my iPhone.
  4. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Manual stays in a pannier if I'm using them, otherwise it gets left at home. I've downloaded a PDF of the manual on my phone. I have an app I can get my insurance ID cards from and I screen shot them to have a hard copy should I find myself in need in a place that doesn't have cell reception. The Registration stays in the little carry case for the NAV 6 but if I get pulled over, they'll know if the bike is registered to me or not.
  5. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Before someone says RTFM :D, I'll say that you'd read your manual from cover to cover, download the copy (if you feel like) on your phone so you won't have to carry actual hard copy of manual with you - ymmv...

As for ownership and ins slip, that's always with me and in my wallet for all of my donkees and my clunker too. And, it's actually a true copy of ownership - the original is safe kept at home.

I wouldn't recommend leaving ownership/ins slip anywhere on the bike - ymmv... :thumb
  6. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I fold mine up and keep it in my wallet so it's always with me no matter which jacket I grab.
    side-burn likes this.
  7. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Insurance and registration in my wallet, always in the ID pocket of my Klim jacket, whichever I'm wearing. I used a Ridge wallet, I'm a minimalist, so everything else is digital on my phone or in my safe at home (title, original owners manual, etc).
  8. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Practice. :-) I'm on my 5th GS / GSA and in my 33rd year of riding. Originally a London motorcycle courier and now purely 'fair weather' fun rider / tourer. It's not about what is possible, it's about what is optimum. Semantics here, but the 'comfortable' I referred to was in the purist sense of the word (i.e. stretching out one's legs / groin when coming to a stop! Not a confidence <> comfort thing). :-) I also think the stretch to the bars is slightly further on a GSA for shorter riders (even with bar risers / backs). The GS is more comfortable for shorter riders - unless you go for a lowered chassis / seat which I don't fancy for re-sale reasons and general handling characteristics. I use a 'comfort high' seat on the GS which is slightly higher than the standard seat and have it in the high position for optimum knee bend angle - which still allows easy feet down when stationary. Shame, as I say, the GSA is in my view a nicer looking bike overall.
  9. huck629

huck629 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had mine on a dyno yesterday and we confirmed it is a decel pop on my bike. Reading through the literature it kinda makes sense. BMW says the ECU makes a throttle adjustment to take the load off the shifter for a fraction of a second in upshifts. That's enough to give it a small decel pop on my bike.
  10. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to argue, just an observation...

It makes absolutely no sense for BMW to require throttle input to up-shift then use electronics to change it to accommodate said up-shift.
  11. huck629

huck629 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you put it that way it doesn't make sense... but the manual says that it adjust throttle input to reduce load when shifting (both directions). That makes sense when I relate to how I was trained to shift so many years ago.... i.e. reduce throttle, pull in clutch, upshift, increase throttle and release clutch.... although that all happens pretty darned quick
  12. Lone_GS_rider

Lone_GS_rider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bike has officially been released for shipment from the warehouse. According to the dealer, we should see it in 5 business days. Unfortunately, I will probably not have it this weekend.
    huck629 likes this.
  13. Gadgetech

Oddometer:
    Then you can replace that avatar with something other than a stock image! Congrats!
  14. Lone_GS_rider

Lone_GS_rider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! And I'm definitely looking forward to replacing that pic. Maybe something outside of Starbucks. ;)
    Shawnee Bill and Gadgetech like this.
  15. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    mine does it, single slight pop
    right around 4 grand
    hard to hear with fairing down or visor up.

usually occurs cruising at under 4 grand then opening up the throttle to accelerate.
    i think the shift light shows around that range
    it's also about the rpm you could downshift to overtake in a hurry
    maybe there's a touch of extra fuel in the mapping around that rpm for auto throttle blipping with the quick shifter
    no gear change and it gets dumped

i mentioned it to the dealer and he said something like that and shift cam shifting or something.
    if you ever go to the track GP bikes make the same sound.
    i got to go back for a software update next week and the dealer said he would have a look see but wasn't concerned.
  16. Gadgetech

Oddometer:
    Yep, that sound is the cam shifting which happens at a certain RPM or if the throttle input is at a certain amount.
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  17. huck629

huck629 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    to me it sounds like a small decel pop

mainly because of three things... the auto shift makes a throttle adjustment to reduce load on the transmission when making shifts (both up and down) and none of the journalists reviewing this bike have made any kind of mention of cam shift noise. Almost all of the reviews I read went out of their way to talk about how total unnoticeable cam shift operation is. Finally, BMW says the cam shift happens "under specific load conditions" or at 5,000 rpm. On my bike I'm hearing the muted pop sound well below 5,000 rpm. Of course, I might be in one those specific load conditions BMW mentions but I've heard it in enough different conditions to think not.

To me, Gadgetech might be right, but there is at least one other opinion out there and I think its too early to say that it is categorically either decel pop or cam shifting noise.
    Nogoodnamesleft and AdamChandler like this.
  18. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the Akra can on your bike, the pop when shifting can be even more pronounced. It sometimes has a fire-cracker sound.
  19. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've noticed on mine that there are two distinct pops. The quick shift upshift is very noticeable (as it is for most bikes, very much so on my KTM SDR). On acceleration, there's also a pop for the shiftcam, that sometimes isn't that noticeable and other times is quite noticeable, depending mostly on throttle input. If you're hammering it, i don't really hear it, but i think it's because the valve train noise mixed with exhaust just overrides it. I mostly notice it when i do a gradual acceleration where i slowly twist the throttle more. It gets to a certain point, there's a small pop, and then it just keeps going.

I think they are accurate in saying it's not noticeable, in that i think they're trying to say there's no surging, there's not noticeable lag/change/modification to how the bike physically reacts to the change. Just that small pop. It's much less pronounced then the cut out from an upshift using the quickshifter, especially if you're really on it.

I think the most noticeable thing for me, coming from a Tiger 800, is the amount of character the engine has. It's silky at some RPMs, and noticeably vibey at others. There's a small spot just above 4k where the vibration is pretty significant before it smooths out again. The only real issue with that is that when i'm in 6th at 80, it just happens to coincide with that "spot". And that's not to denigrate the bike in anyway. My SDR is worse through most of the rev range, if only slightly so. I kinda figure it's what comes with a big twin. If you want smooth, get an inline.
  20. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    I got bit by the 1250 bug today.
    IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg