2019 R1250 GS / GSA ShiftCam ordered or incoming

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by krussell, Sep 20, 2018.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No.
  2. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. You can make changes to the bike as you like. The only time warranty coverage can be affected is when some change you made caused the problem.
  3. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With a slip on no it’s not. Change the header and Probably but if worried then before service change it back
  4. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    No, not true. First, a header doesn't violate the warranty. Second, the Magnuson Moss Warranty act states that the dealer must prove that a modification, or doing your own service, caused an issue. No way a header would cause an issue unless you break an exhaust stud installing it. Removing it for service would be idiocy!
    regnaDkciN, scottydawg and bmac like this.
  5. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I come from the Harley world so might be different. My assumption is that they would
    Claim that it could run more lean than from the factory with a header and a slip on. Also unless you tune it then won’t run as optimal.
  6. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    While the issues with headers may or may not be true on an HD, it does not apply to the BMW. :-)
  7. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, that’s nice! Thanks, Jim. Any idea on when your 1250 video comes out? Been hearing Great things about the videos
  8. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely wrong as Jim has stated. Folks really need to read up on the appropriate law before they dispense false information.

The law is very clear. The burden is on the manufacturer to prove any modification you did caused the failure.
    side-burn likes this.
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It is ready. I just need BMW to release its factory manual so I can validate the torques and specs. I am 95% confident that the Wethead and Shifthead share the specs, but am reluctant to release until I can verify them.
  10. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, let’s discuss. I’m pretty sure they could figure out a way to prove that the bike with a modified exhaust is running more lean. Enough so that it is possible to cause engine damage. And in court they would most likely argue that the modified exhaust cause these issues with or without tuning of the engine. The law is in place to prevent maintenance from being required and other “stuff” from being done at the dealer. I could be wrong, but from my experience with other manufactures that isn’t the case.
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Well, let's discuss. BMW sells Akrapovic and installs them at dealers. BMW themselves says that exhaust will not need modifications to the fueling, even with full headers. So, unlike HD, it is a complete non-issue. It doesn't make the bike run lean, rich, or any other way but louder. It is no different than adding aftermarket lights, luggage, etc. Many BMW dealers also sell other aftermarket exhausts, and many aftermarket accessories.

This subject has been beat to death multiple times.

So, I can say with full certainty, no, you will not have warranty issues installing a non-BMW exhaust.

You seem to think that BMW is out to find ways to screw the consumer. The MM Act is there specifically to prevent that.
    bmac likes this.
  12. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please read up on the law. It does little good to discuss and speculate the intent and merits of the law if you haven't educated yourself about its contents. And, this thread is not the place.
  13. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @JimVonBaden @bmac I have never seen a bike get a full exhaust that didn’t need a tune but I guess bmw is different. Don’t think they are out to get the consumer by any means. Okay we will kill this discussion! On with the thread and thanks guys!
    mickey.smith1958 likes this.
  14. Enduro Dude

Enduro Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All I know is I love my 1250! Buy it do what you want to it have fun, live life. There is about a 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1% chance that a header mod or any mod will do something detrimental to the bike. Buy it customize it ride it have fun

Attached Files:

AdamChandler and eddyturn like this.
  15. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As far as BMW “tuning” is concerned, they are very different in that the fueling is a “closed loop- self learning” system. It self corrects itself for lean conditions.

My BMW dealer has installed full header and slip on systems on multiple BMW’s prior to pickup when new. Never ever had any issues.

55527BDE-07C7-473B-84DF-4B4FE81CBAB2.jpeg
    Kidder, Pipeman, svtride and 5 others like this.
  16. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^
    Fine looking mount! I like the black wheels.

Mike
    18415 and SidewinderX like this.
  17. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to learn more about their tuning and their ecm system on this bike. If it’s tuning wide band and closed loop that’s awesome
  18. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    BMW is different than many other motorsickel makes when it comes to aftermarket exhaust. Many do sell aftermarket exhaust like Termi for Ducs etc which will not work right without the tuning, remapping and such while BMW does work without the need for anything else... You can add them if wanted but you don't have to...

I had my full Ti Akrapovic exhaust installed on my '16 which has seen couple recall visits to the dealer (only time bike visited at the dealer), each and every time the bike was hooked up to their GT-1 as part of their checks and not a single comment was raised that there were faults or any other issues with the bike and completely aftermarket exhaust on it... And, I didn't do any additional tuning/fueling/else whatsoever... :deal

If you like to add aftermarket headers and/or slip-on, you can go ahead worry-free! :D
    Ryan42 likes this.
  19. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s so crazy and foreign to me but also amazing!
  20. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Consider that as freebie after paying exorbitant price to get a BMW bike... :lol3
    scottydawg, AdamChandler and 18415 like this.