2019 Sherco Models & Changes

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motobene, Nov 21, 2018.

1. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    I'm still on my 2017 Factory 250, which has a 125 model amount of clutch spring preload, and a modified Ohlins shock that is a dream. I have been very pleased with this bike! I skipped over 2018, and may or may not skip over 2019 as well. But the 2019s are out, apparently including also the Factory model, provided early. That's a welcome change as many of us find the Factory models to be a bargain for what you get. If I did get a 2019, someone is going to get a brand new Reiger on my 2017 :-)

TodoTrial did a summary and first ride of the models and reported this (in Spanish first, then translated):

Mejoras Sherco Trial Racing
    • Nuevo Kit de decoración Racing 2019 con el color azul en el chasis

• Horquilla Tech aluminium de doble regulación

• Amortiguador OlléV de hierro R16V

Mejoras Trial Factory
    • Nuevo Kit de decoración Factory 2019 con el color blanco en el chasis

• Espuma del manillar Neken trial Factory 2019

35824588 1840176149397548 3• Amortiguador Reiger de 3 vías

• Horquilla Tech de aluminio con regulación

• Nueva culata para las cilindradas 125, 250 y 300. Relación de compresión y forma del cierlo de la culata, mejores prestaciones en el motor. En la 125 17,7 diferente perfil, en la 250 de 10,72 a 10,91 y en la 300 de 11,34 a 11,63.

• Modificaciones en el cigüeñal, factor de equilibrado, para lograr una disminución de las vibraciones. Rumorosidad del motor reducida.

• En la 300cc nuevo culatín intercambiable EVO.

• Nueva curva CDI, que logra un aumento de la fuerza del motor a bajo régimen, y ahora sí una más apreciable diferencia entre el mapa soft y el hard.

• La principal novedad en las Factory es la evolución del embrague de diafragma.

English:
    Sherco Trial Racing improvements
    • New Racing Decoration Kit 2019 with blue color on the chassis

• Tech aluminum double regulation fork

• OlléV damper for iron R16V

Trial Factory improvements
    • New Decoration Kit Factory 2019 with white color on the chassis

• Foam handlebar Neken trial Factory 2019

35824588 1840176149397548 3 • Reiger 3-way shock absorber

• Aluminum Tech fork with adjustment

• New cylinder head for 125, 250 and 300 displacements. Compression ratio and shape of the cylinder head lock, better performance in the engine. In the 125 17.7 different profile, in the 250 from 10.72 to 10.91 and in the 300 from 11.34 to 11.63.

• Modifications in the crankshaft, balancing factor, to achieve a reduction in vibrations. Reduced motor noise.

• In the new 300cc interchangeable EVO nozzle.

• New CDI curve, which achieves an increase in engine power at low speed, and now a more noticeable difference between the soft and hard maps.

The main novelty in the Factory is the evolution of the diaphragm clutch.

A friend just bought a 2019 250 Factory and reports a SUBSTANTIAL change in the clutch lever pull force for 2019 (he rode many a 2018 competitions including #1 Senior 60 in the west). He reports, "The clutch is so easy to pull in it's like there's nothing there." Hmm. I wonder what, exactly, they changed? I'll find out later....

As for the change of crank balance, that did not stand out so much to him like the clutch change did. With engines having no counter balance shaft you can't get rid of all the vibration. It's more like where in the rpm range you want it to be. Overall, he prefers the 2019 over his 2018.

IF the ST model did not get this new group of parts for 2019, and the Factory did, it will be the first time in a long time that the ST and Factory engines are slightly different.

What the heck is an interchangeable EVO nozzle?

There is also the intro of the budget 125 4T. I wish it were a 200, but the 125 will make a fine bike for the kiddos and some new riders.
  2. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why don't they just put an adjustable preload ring in it and call it good? That way Joe Smith who wants a slow engaging, soft pull lever can get it, and vice versa. They're basically standard on GG/Vertigo/TRS now.
  3. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Hot damn, bold new graphics and more inertia. They'll sell like hotcakes. :D
    Brewtus and 10K like this.
  4. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet they added 10 pounds to the crankshaft once they figured out that more inertia is so much better.
    Brewtus and 10K like this.
  5. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a piston in my shop that turns a TTR into a 183. Or maybe it’s 186. Can’t remember exactly. Should work with the new little Sherco. Wish I could get my hands on one to try it.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  6. motobene

Oddometer:
    Doubt it. Crank inertia is right on the 250, and a touch light on the 300 (just add the weight). Unless you are some top-tier rider of ride at high altitude.

When the parts fiche releases for 2019, I expect to see the same center cases as 2018, which means redistribution of crank mass only, and just by a tiny bit.

Got a close friend who was LONG on GG300. He got a 2018 Factory 300 with only 10 hours from riding mine and observing mine, he says. He didn't buy it from me, so I think maybe some guilt over that :-).

Anyway, he calls to discuss the differences. He says he really is liking the Sherco and riding it frequently. Says it's a bit more planted.

He bemoaned no sight glass for the oil. I said, "You won't need it anymore because the water pump won't be surprising you with milkshake oil, and you'll go to change your oil on a GG interval and find it still clean."

And he's like, "A kick stand that really works!"
    and... "Starts easier!"

He's a very picky fellow so we shall see how it goes in the longer term....
  7. Rle

Rle n00b

Oddometer:
    Got a 2019 250 factory scorpa, should know how it runs in a month or two. For now it will sits and gets pampered.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  8. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the 10 pound crankshaft thing should have been self evident as off the cuff sarcasm, but then again...
    Brewtus, 10K and Norman Foley like this.
  9. bobbywarner

bobbywarner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2019 Sherco Factory... So far I've observed that the clutch is indeed easier to pull in than my 2018 Factory and there does not seem to be as much engine noise when the clutch is disengaged. My 2018 made noise, but my 2017 was by far the loudest. The 2019 is definitely quieter (with the clutch out).

I also like the 2019 graphics better. I never really liked the giant "FACTORY" on the gas tank of the 2018 Factory, haha!

I wish Sherco had the adjustable clutch preload like TRS though. I'd like to test the different settings quickly to compare.
  10. Rle

Rle n00b

Oddometer:
    Interesting on easier clutch, feels the same as 2018 the factory Scorpa I had..
  11. motobene

Oddometer:
    The issue on noise from the new primary gears from '17 and decreasing through to '19 may be from tightening up the fit between the involute profiles of the primary gear teeth. A bunch of variables go into that, including center-to-center distance.

I think in '17 they erred on the side of caution with the new design. My '17 125, with it's lower rotational mass really lights up the clearance clutch in and near idle when loafing. Harmless but sometimes I notice it.

The '17 250 is pretty quiet.

Clatter was better or less - on average - in '18 and apparently now in '19. Varies by individual bike a touch of course.
  12. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    My '17 Scorpa 125SC was quite noisy in that respect, but my '18 Scorpa 125 Factory is hardly noticeable.
  13. motobene

Oddometer:
    The '18 125s had a redo of the primary gears to get rid of the pizza-size rear sprocket the '17 125s had. They apparently did a good job of addressing gear play as well.

The '17 125s had the same primary gears and clutch basket as the 250/300s. By slowing the primary '18+, the smaller rear sprocket could be used on the 125s.

Two different ways to get to the same travel rate.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  14. murpsprin

murpsprin Trials and errors

Oddometer:
    I've heard the US 19 factorys are coming with donlop tires? Can anyone else confirm this?
  15. bobbywarner

bobbywarner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Dunlops on my 2019.
  16. Rle

Rle n00b

Oddometer:
    Scorpa 2019 factory Mich X11
    Thesolidman1 and Norman Foley like this.
  17. bobbywarner

bobbywarner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine is putting Boyesen reeds in his 2019 Sherco... Thinking of doing the same. Any thoughts or recommendations? Are they really worth it?

I've never replaced reeds or used Boyesen before, but all the cool kids seem to have the Boyesen stickers on their bikes, so of course I want to try, haha!
    Norman Foley likes this.
  18. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never been able to tell a difference. YMMV.
  19. motobene

Oddometer:
    It depends, maybe. I have the CarbonTech (single petal) version of Beoyesens in my 250 Sherco. They helped to fix a lower-load burbling low-mid transition I was struggling with on my 250 a while. I did not feel that in the 125 or the 300s I've ridden, so the stock reeds are fine and who knows maybe better in those sizes? I don't know as I have not tried them in a 125 or 300 Sherco/Scorpa.

My 250 runs so smoothly and can be grunted like a 300 or screamed. It's always super clean running. I'm very happy. The only unusual result on the `17 was needed a smallish 48 low-speed jet whereas the `16 with the same reeds feasted cleanly on a 55.

I've had the dual-stage glass fiber reeds in the Fantic for almost 29 years and it runs exceptionally with a well jetted Mikuni VM26-74.

It's not that big a mod. Just be patient with the dinky reed block screws.... If you are willing to iterate the jetting a time or two to optimize for the reeds, I say go for it and less us know what results.