2019 Summer rides in Flagstaff, AZ

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AZ Africa Twin, Jun 10, 2019.

1. AZ Africa Twin

AZ Africa Twin From the AZ High Country

Oddometer:
    AZ Mtn Thumper and I have been dying to get out and ride locally since our return from our Utah trip. Unfortunately it has been rain, wind, hail, and snow until the past two weekends. Then the season jumped right into summer riding weather.

We decided to hit the local forest roads for a day of fun and just spent the day in one of my favorite hunting areas. A lot of traffic on Woody Mt. Rd as we started off road. This area is close to Flagstaff, and sees a lot of multi use. We also saw camps closer to town that seem to be people living in them to escape the heat of the Phoenix area. But we finally took to the side tracks and had them to ourselves for a great day of riding.

IMG_3797.JPG

The wet spring has brought us a green forest, with plenty of grass, and water holes brimming with water. Wish I had a elk tag this year.

IMG_3801.JPG

Some of the roads lead to scenic overlooks. Like Dave Joy Point. I would tell you the name of the Canyon but it is a Secret. Hint, Hint!

IMG_3810.JPG

The wet spring also brought us a bit of mud to play in, but Thumper didn't want to get his bike dirty! What a whimp.

IMG_3858.JPG

But I got him dirty! Here some for the camera man!

IMG_3860.JPG

Next stop was Buck Ridge Cabin. It is always open and has survived several fires in the past few years. There used to be a sign in book that told people to enjoy the cabin but leave it like they found it. Have spent a few mornings at the nearby water hole photographing and hunting deer and elk. A good spot to see the elusive Coues ("Cows") or whitetail deer as we call them. The short road in is rough in spots and gravity pulled the AT down when making the tight uphill turn back onto the forest road. Good thing Thumper was there....again, to save my sore back in lifting that damn bike.

IMG_3884.JPG
    There have been several major fires in this hunt unit over the past years and a tornado, so it is pretty torn up, but still one of my favorite places to hunt and knock around in.

IMG_3865.JPG

It was good to get out on some of great local roads, nothing epic, but any day on a bike in such great county is always special.

IMG_3889.JPG

If you find yourself out this way, give us a shout, we don't need much of an excuse to drop everything and go ride. And I love sharing this area with others who appreciate its beauty and what it has to offer.

IMG_3812.JPG

If you cant come ride, I hope you enjoyed the pics. And thank ADV Rider for upgrading the site to allow more pics per post!
    Jedi5150, NxtGoRnd, NSFW and 10 others like this.
  2. AzMtnThumper

AzMtnThumper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm an Arizona boy through and through. I much prefer dry and dusty to mud any day! The spring rains definitely made things green:
    SAM_1988.JPG
    Buck Ridge Cabin ver 1.0

SAM_2009.JPG
    A couple wilderness areas in the area. Definitely a fun day in the back yard!
    SAM_2010.JPG
    NxtGoRnd, Solo Gato, Sledred and 3 others like this.
  3. bellyacres1

bellyacres1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there AZ Africa Twin,
    am interested in doing some riding with you in the area. I ride a bit over here north of the peaks and up toward Grand Canyon. Yes this gorgeous country which I also enjoy sharing. Just as soon not get muddy either! Where is Secret Canyon anyway?
  4. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:

In hunt unit 6B, south of Flagstaff and towards the rim it sort of runs towards Sedona.

I would be glad to get you out riding with us. Send me a PM with your contact and I’ll give you a shout when we go out again.
    AzMtnThumper likes this.
  5. bellyacres1

bellyacres1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I am retired and pretty flexible for the most part. I ride a F-800 GS and also a KTM EXCF 250 . The 250 is suppose to help with the comfort zone in more loose conditions. Also a XR400R which I'd like to sell for 2K.
    I have been riding since I was a teen, but always a street rider till about 10 years ago. I like the access these Dual Sports now provide.
    As you suggest, I am also glad to have help picking up the bike.
    Ride on,
    Pete
    AZ Africa Twin likes this.
  6. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    FAF1BDA3-5B5B-406C-8F15-132C21BB2C34.jpeg Took the AT on a ride Father’s Day. Had to be in Phoenix for training Monday morning, so why not make it an Adventure? Got a late start, spent too much time at the crab leg station at the Little America buffet.

751D3946-806C-4148-B2A6-E1C60A60094C.jpeg

Had planned to do almost all dirt until the outskirts of Phoenix, but getting going late I had cut out the initial dirt section from Twin Arrows to Lake Mary Rd. Went down Lake Mary to 211 over to the 300 Rim Road, then FR 512 towards Young AZ. This follows the AZ BDR route, and I took FR 202, which is a recommended alternative for 203 that was in bad shape with a lot of washed out sections after a fire a couple of years ago.

F8F8D76A-7FC3-422F-9F85-237EEE5061FA.jpeg

202 was great, newly graded in some sections, a little rocky in others. Never saw another vehicle but elk and deer were seen along the route. Then some cattle standing in a rocky downhill section decided to run in front of me and put me down in the loose rocks. It took me longer than expected traveling 202, and 203. I had left Flagstaff around 2 and didn’t reach the intersection of 188 and 203 until 8pm.

D6796952-86F8-499D-B09D-8BC5FA106367.jpeg

It was getting dark and I wondered about cutting over to Tortilla Flats in the dark. No need to worry the road was closed due to a fire and I was screwed. Options were; road to Globe or toward Payson. Both ways would add 2 hrs to my trip. Finally made it to the hotel around 11 pm.

Didn’t take too many pics on this one.

Yeah, it was an adventure , and leaving Phoenix on the highway in 107 deg heat was a blast!

But hey it was still a great commute to work!
    2up ADV, NSFW, Solo Gato and 3 others like this.
  7. beemerbum55

beemerbum55 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whoa, love it that you and your AT get around on the dirt. I'd love to leave this Phoenix heat and join in for a adventure ride sometime. I ride a Beemer R1200GS so my off-roading would have be tamer easier trails or gravel fire roads. But I have 50+ years of on/off experience. Would love to explore places North of Phoenix here. Lemmie know.

Kent (aka BeemerBum55)
    (520) 227-0027 Cell/Text
  8. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:

I would recommend that area as a travel route out of the Valley heat up to the Rim and cooler temps.

Forest Rd 202 was not bad but you can also go up to Young on 288. I will give you a PM with my contact information and if you come up would be glad to take you out riding.

Bring a sweater, I know how you desert dwellers get cold easily!
  9. beemerbum55

beemerbum55 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy,

Thanks for the reply. This grizzled "Desert Dweller" can adapt pretty easily...LOL. Shoot me a PM or text ref any upcoming rides up North. Thanks.

Regards,

Kent (aka BeemerBum55)
    (520) 227-0027 Cell/Text
    US Army Retired
  10. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    Bellyacres1 hit me up to do some riding, and I was glad to take him up on the offer. He is a local, and we agreed to meet this past weekend for a day ride. He had never been up to Saddle Mt. so it was a good excuse to get out on the bikes and get them even more dirty.

IMG_3911.JPG

The day started out with bright and cool but got more overcast as the day progressed.

IMG_3915.JPG

We didn't mind a little overcast and the wind, it kept it cool and the dust down. We took our time and enjoyed the scenery. It is a lot greener this year with all the wet weather we had over the winter and early spring, and there is still a lot of snow on the peaks.

IMG_3919.JPG

The top of Saddle Mt. has some amazing views, and is a good place for a rest stop and some water and snacks.

IMG_3922.JPG

It was a clear day and Bellyacres1 could almost make out the area of his home in the distance.

IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG

The forest roads are not that challenging, but it was a good way to spend a day and meet another rider from this site.

IMG_3936.JPG

He handles that GS 800 well, and looks good on it too!

It was a bad day for bikes, the same day the seven riders were killed in New Hampshire. Old Dudes Matters from this site text me later that day, he had a crash on his Harley. Then that evening Bellyacres let me know he and his GS got hit a a red light!

Fortunately Old Dudes and Bellyacres are ok and will be good to ride another day! (As soon as the bikes get fixed)

Attached Files:

2up ADV, Jedi5150, NxtGoRnd and 4 others like this.
  11. NAZer

NAZer FNG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AZ Africa Twin, Met you on Saturday after Rik and I had a great ride simply following the MVUM map around Mormon Lake. Keep in touch. NAZer, or John.
  12. Nikwho

Nikwho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool to read your ride reports from right here in Flagstaff! I also live in Flag and would love to join up with some others to go riding. I have a KTM 525 EXC, so a little more of a dirt bike, but still street legal. I feel like I may be adding more of an adventure bike soon, hence my finding and joining this site.
  13. Nikwho

Nikwho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Pete,
    I may very well be interested in your XR400, if you still have it. I'll PM you, to keep this ride report on track.

Nik
  14. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice RR especially seeing a somewhat muddy AT.

have a DCT, always dirty but never get any mud.
  15. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:

07D27645-9AA5-43ED-A024-5417F273743D.jpeg

A lot of dust out there. It would be mud, or more like grease , but the rain kept passing us by until today. Maybe some dirty girl pics after this weekend

4AF917F3-B3CC-42C2-96F5-2DD30ED8CA42.jpeg
    Solo Gato, AZ Mark and motocopter like this.
  16. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    Old Dudes Matter hit me up to go riding today. He had made some mods on his BMW in preparation for our 7th annual Dirty Monkey Ride that is coming up this month. He added bar risers, a wind deflector and some great Harley Davidson Highway pegs! I guess they are to remind him of his Harley that is not making the trip this year because he Totaled it!

He wanted me to take my Harley out but no way in hell. I had spent a half a day washing and waxing it. It’s not leaving the garage until we head out to Montana and Yellowstone. Especially since this is Monsoon-season and the dark clouds were forming.

14CC02C7-1D89-4120-BD6B-3E1F28C2A4E6.jpeg
    (Earlier Today, White the sun was shining)

We headed towards Payson AZ, and Lake Mary is looking good with the recent rains. After lunch we headed back but the storm caught us. We stopped to put on our rain gear and I heard this grunting like a wild bore mating. It was Old Dudes Matter struggling to get his rain pants on. The next thing I know he is on the ground, kicking and wiggling around like he was wrestling a python. I tried to get a pic but he jumped up and ran, hobbled, away.

C7BECED3-67FD-41B0-A358-4B4906B4567F.jpeg
    (The BMW is for sale, contact Old Dudes Matter)

The last laugh was on me, I searched my bag and realized that I had taken out my rain pants after the Moab trip and that they were at home.

The storm pounded us but we were having a blast. Visors Dow and ride on, except I didn’t have one but the googles were fine. I never appreciated the smell of the pines or the rain until I moved out here. We hauled ass though the heavy rain that covered the road. Thunder and lightening cracked all around us and directly overhead but I was loving it.

41C4A223-340A-4D6C-9768-C813230223C2.jpeg
    ( A storm is a coming)

We passed two Harley riders who were standing along the road just getting drenched. They looked miserable with no jackets, no helmets, and the forest roads were mud, so they couldn’t get under the trees. The temp had gone from 94 in Payson to 66. Another group of dual sports were hugging the trees to stay dry. The people in cars must have thought we were nuts but I was grinning from ear to ear. That was until about 15 miles from home when the goggles started to fog, the rain filled my boots, and water started to leak into my butt crack.

Then the inevitable happened, that ice cold rain, from 30,000 ft up in the atmosphere built up and like a tidal wave flooded over my warm scrotum. The reaction was unavoidable I shriveled and instantly developed a man-gina. It lasted unit I got home and took a hot shower. What a relief to see that thing pop back out.

It was a great ride in spite of the storm. I probably wouldn’t look out the window and say hey it’s Monsoon season, let’s go ride. But rain out here is a blessing and it was something different. It made a normal ride into quite an adventure.

Thanks Old Dudes Matter

(PS: if your bike sells because of this post you owe me half)
    zachd, Solo Gato and AzMtnThumper like this.
  17. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report and photos! I've only been to the Flagstaff area a few times, but I'd love to explore more of it. Northern AZ is gorgeous, I've got to get back over there again.
    Solo Gato likes this.
  18. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Laugh it up funny boy, squirming around getting those pants on over my boots kept me dry the whole way home. The visor with the pin-lock worked great also. I will Nic wax the jacket before we go, as I stayed dry, but the outside of my old jacket was soaked. Big kudos to those Shinko 804/805 tires, they held great on both bikes in the wet.

Sorry to hear of your “Bruce Jenner” experience , it was karma for trying so hard to take a picture of me squirming with rain gear. Your new biker name, shall be Kaitlin .
  19. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    It happens to all males at some point in life!

It was a fun ride in the rain, good practice for Alaska and Tuktoyaktuk!
  20. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    05893DF8-9A2C-4DCB-880B-79EEB7325AD5.jpeg

I need a camo version of the AT. I run it into the forest to scout game and to check my game cameras. Took off this evening to check a camera for upcoming bear season and stopped at the Rogers Lake Natural area, but no elk in sight.

EA67EE60-2CC8-4BB9-A815-EB3ED12F7010.jpeg

DCE42DD2-3927-47F6-9C0C-FA4BBBB63ABB.jpeg

6E634901-928E-40AE-8B7B-3C4565AC385A.jpeg

Was in the process of taking down a camera when a brown blue went by me. I turned to see a bear at about 10 yards. I think I had seen him two seasons ago when he was not much bigger than a German Shepherd. My how he has grown. I talked to him awhile and took some pics with my phone. He move off a little, sat down and watched me as I gathered up my gear and walked off.

CE2FB700-6F93-4337-9F16-3C18A7E2A0BA.jpeg

A5BD5F59-7F44-4D47-8F7F-1324F04D9ED3.jpeg

The AT gets me in and out of the forest without beating up my old truck, and any excuse to ride it works for me. Again a simple day ride turned into another adventure!

Attached Files:

Solo Gato likes this.