2019 Summer rides in Flagstaff, AZ

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AZ Africa Twin, Jun 10, 2019.

1. AZ Africa Twin

AZ Africa Twin From the AZ High Country

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1826247

I need a camo version of the AT. I run it into the forest to scout game and to check my game cameras. Took off this evening to check a camera for upcoming bear season and stopped at the Rogers Lake Natural area, but no elk in sight.

View attachment 1826243

View attachment 1826245

Was in the process of taking down a camera when a brown blur went by me. I turned to see a bear at about 10 yards. I think I had seen him two seasons ago whe he was not much bigger than a German Shepherd. My how he has grown. I talked to him awhile and he move off s little and sat down and watched me as I gathered up my gear and walked off.

The AT gets me in and out of the forest without beating up my old truck, and any excuse to ride it works for me.
    Solo Gato and AzMtnThumper like this.
  2. seaduck100

seaduck100 You just got smoked by an old guy on a cb500x

Oddometer:
    African Twin...
    Damn, what a great set up. Az looks to have a lot of good scenery. Are the locals friendly?

My brother spends part time in Flagstaff when Phoenix is ablaze. I'm trying to get him on a bike, because I know it will be good for his spirit.

It is liberating to be able to just pick a spot and go.
    FREEDOM
  3. Solo Gato

Solo Gato long in the tooth Supporter

Oddometer:
    one of the best narrations I've read in a long time, excellent. Ive been to flagstaff many times and the locals were great , I tried to conduct myself likewise.
  4. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    As you can see even the bears are friendly. Come on up no one will bite you.
  5. zachd

zachd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing! I love escaping the valley and getting up to Flag.

Plus I love going to MotherRoad and Fratellis!!
    AZ Africa Twin and AzMtnThumper like this.
  6. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    DF5CB59A-62E0-487B-9F5E-89281939B68F.jpeg Didn’t think I would be posting anything today, just a nice pleasant ride into the forest to put my game camera up for deer season. But I guess you should always be prepared for a surprise or an unexpected adventure.

It isn’t summer in Flagstaff without forest fires, and I didn’t think anything of the smoke in the air. But as I got deeper in it was thicker and I couldn’t make a usual turn due to the road being marked Fire Activity Ahead. I took another but route route and to my surprise ran into the fire and the Fire crews hard st work in the heat. They were fine with me being there, but every turn I needed to make was blocked. I backtracked and finally made it to my destination, but it was a more challenging ride than I had expected. The Forest Service had brought in a road grader and dozed and I had several sections of deep loose dirt or loose rock. Even coming out on the main forest road was tricky. The grader had deposited piles of loose rocks in the tighter curves.

Fortunately the AT got me in and back out safely.
    F9A7A2D2-6AAF-415A-B69D-11C66433E984.jpeg

B758EAF0-8858-42CF-AB67-48BAC1D5E61C.jpeg

4FDEAD58-B2EC-41D5-ACB4-D9115D014CDC.jpeg

It was easy for the Forest Service to spot this one. It is in front of the fire tower on the ridge.

2E07FFF5-CCF5-4D15-B207-1D720DCE5EAD.jpeg

Forest Service said this one was caused by a lightning strike

C16E64CB-CAC3-4523-A46F-C0D939C3FD79.jpeg

82269E0D-5C38-447E-B9B5-3A127B68BCFB.jpeg

I’m starting a new Thread:
    Show Us Your Bikes in A Forest Fire.

Unfortunately it is all too common and there would be several post in no time.