2019 Touratech Rally West (Plain, WA)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ommoran, Feb 17, 2019.

1. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

I'm planning on attending my second Touratech Rally in Plain, WA. This unfortunately (or fortunately, depending...) occurs on June 27-30, which would be our Canada Day Weekend. I'm taking the Thursday and Friday off, and riding as far as my trailer in Maple Falls on Wednesday Night. Thursday, I'm going down 9 to 2 along some of the most pleasant riding roads in the world.

My schedule might be subject to some change depending on when the course I'm planning on taking is offered, but I'm *thinking* it will be on the Friday. If so, I'd be happy to join up with some folks looking for breakfast and a great 3 hour ride down to Plain. If you don't know the Acme diner, it's killer - and worth the stop. It's right on 9, and a bunch of guys passed me as I was mounting up last year.

Anyway. It would also be nice to arrange a meeting somewhere on the grounds if you are going, just to say hello. If you want to ride down convoy-style, that would be awesome too.

~Martin.
    Steve G. likes this.
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My knee injury has been confirmed and stabilized which prevented me attending last year. I’ve already booked for TT 2019 in Plain, very much looking forward to it. I’m joining 2 old Laverda Rally riding buddies out of Victoria, very possibly a Laverda riding buddy out of Kamloops. They will all be on prepped up DR650’s, I’ll be on my bushed up XR650l dinosaur. Possibly a friend of theirs on a well travelled Africa twin. Tentatively we are meeting up at Skagit Motorsports June 26th late morning, as they will take the WA ferry direct from Victoria. Direct up Hwy 20, camp at Winthrop Wednesday night the 26th. Craft beer sampling will be in order. 100% we will be taking the WABDR off-road route south to Plain, jumping on the route southbound around Twisp I think.
    We shall for sure keep an eye out for you. What kind of bike will you be on? You may indeed be a day ahead of us. I don’t think any of us have signed up for any routes, riding schools, or anything other than possibly watching competitions onsite and independent rides around the area. Still pondering volunteering somewhere/somehow, but never been at the rally yet, might wait till 2020 to get an idea where my volunteer might be best.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  3. ommoran

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding Orange Julius - my orange '11 Wee-strom. Craft beer damned right, I will have a growler with me (insulated, natch).

Looking forward to it!
    Steve G. likes this.
  4. Steve G.

Oddometer:

I've met you sir. You bought your gorgeous gold/orange Strom from Eddie. You're a serious rider. I hope I can pace with you without falling over. And, keep up whilst riding motorcycles.
  5. ommoran

Oddometer:
    We met, Steve, for sure. Martin, the insurance guy. Lived in Edmonton, but didn't ride until 2 years ago. You've got me misremembered with someone, to my benefit. I am a novice - hence taking the 101 and 102 training courses from PSSOR while at the Touratech Rally.
    Steve G. likes this.
  6. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    Yes you are right, too much Malbec last night. I mid identified you for our intrepid fellow Cdn ADV’r from ‘The Rock’ who took his newer Africa Twin to Tuk last season. All good. Yes I also remember you mentioning your family having a trailer out near Mt. Baker area.
    Hope to see you before then, but for sure will watch out for you at TT Plain 2019. BTW, Eddie looks like he’s shutting down within 3 weeks, giving away stuff at cost, I got smoking deals in chain, heated grips, tires. Where will you get service work done when he’s gone?
  7. ommoran

Oddometer:
    I just had my unit in at Daytona downtown. Fenton is a pretty good chap. Still it was a major service, and needed a back tire and new chain and sprockets - I wish I had known and saved the cash!

It's sad, what happened with Eddie. I liked his store, and I don't know how things played out for him with the factory - only that the house seems to win. I would try and get out to see him but I'm off to some Sun on Friday, so I won't be back until March 1. Maybe that's where we can start a meet up, if he's still open? :)
  8. Steve G.

Oddometer:

For sure. Have fun in the warmth.
    BTW, the decision to take him out as a dealer cost the regional rep his job, as Sizuki sales dropped significantly on the marine side as well as the bike side. A very bad call IMO.
  9. Jaynes

Jaynes Still a n00b

Oddometer:
    Planning on going this year. Just missed out on last year’s cause the school year (Seattle teacher) went on too long so I’m pumped it’s later this year.
    MikefromNL and Steve G. like this.
  10. Steve G.

Oddometer:

I’m pumped as well. It’s my reintroduction into dirt biking really, long since abandoned since the late teens, when my bikie and my brothers bike were stolen.
    The way the weather has been out here, I'm concerned we'll hit snow on the way there. My group's heading east on 20 from Sedro Woolley to Winthrop. But it's the northern section of the WABDR from Twisp to Plain that I think we're a decent chance of hitting old snow pack.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  11. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I will see you there.
    I'm still working out my work schedule but if all goes well then I will be doing the WABDR south to north on my AT after filling up on beer in Portland. A couple days at the rally and then continuing the BDR back to Canada to get home on the 1st. Although I might just camp somewhere that night to avoid the holiday traffic. Looking forward to it!
    I would love to do the Jimmy Lewis course but I don't think my schedule or wallet allows. I'm also planning on doing another Chris Birch course before the KTM rally.

Im not going to plan much other than bringing a map and making sure I dont run out of gas along the way. I've heard snow and some "baby head hill" can be an issue. Should be fun!
    Allrpm, ommoran and Steve G. like this.
  12. Jaynes

Jaynes Still a n00b

Oddometer:
    Anybody know how long both in miles and time the TT Rally group rides usually are?
  13. Steve G.

Oddometer:

“Baby Head hill”? WTF?
  14. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently its the toughest section of the trail with a big hill thats all loose and round rocks (AKA baby heads).
    I'll be sure to show the damage it does to my bike when I see you at the rally! Lol
    Steve G. likes this.
  15. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    I’ll be doing that route southbound going to the rally. I’ll show you the damage to my bush hack at the rally, and the medical bills I’ll be submitting to my out of country medical coverage. Thanks for the heads up, guess I’ll be wearing my SIDI Crossfires, rather than my Discovery Rains.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  16. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    WE did Baby Head Hill southbound......or going down the hill. That was fun, but doable. Not sure I'd want to do it on a GS and will also be a lot of fun going up that hill!

Yeah, Crossfires would be better than sneakers!

Cheers
    MikefromNL and Steve G. like this.
  17. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve, that Baby Head Hill will be a piece of cake on your CT70!

Cheers
    Steve G. and MikefromNL like this.
  18. KLRDRIVER11

KLRDRIVER11 Now a 1290R Driver

Oddometer:
    They vary. I missed last year so things may have changed but they have approx. 10 different rides to choose from. Last time I did #6 and it was an all day ride. 3 years ago I did rides 1 to 5 through fri and sat. Sorry can't remember the distances.
  19. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    worlds your oyster there... they have a variety of skill levels and distances and hours involved. excellent riding there. and fuel is across the road from the site.
    go to the TT rally, you'll be impressed!!
    ps: with GPS or local knowledge you can join in with new pals and make your own way as well :)
  20. ommoran

Oddometer:
    They vary. Generally, they vary by both skill level and by length. I believe the intended rides are from 2 hours to a full day, and the speed is whatever speed it takes to traverse them. They want you to get out and back both safely, and in time to be back to camp.

The skill levels are broken down like ski trails - Green are beginner, mostly fire roads, and are generally self guided. Anyone that wants to tackle some of those with me, I would be most appreciative! Blue are intermediate, and Black are, well, why would you want to take your expensive motorcycle on those again?

Anyway, there isn't a set thing aside from they like to make sure the tours have both enough challenge and enough time out.
    Steve G. likes this.