2019 Trans-Wisconsin Trail Conditions

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by pjensen641, Jun 24, 2019.

1. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I searched a bit and didn't find a recent thread on this. Anyone have a conditions report for the TWAT ? We've had a wet spring here in Iowa, and I imagine Wisconsin has seen similar. Wondering how that has affected the route?

Thinking of doing this over the long 4th of July weekend. Am I nuts? Will it be too busy for camping? Too wet? Too many bugs? :lol3.

I'll be taking an appropriate bike, DR650 with DOT knobbies, so conditions don't need to be perfect. I'll likley be solo though, so I'm not looking for a death march. Any intel would be appreciated!
  2. TheBigH

TheBigH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode weekend of June 8/9. Ontario - Lake superior. Was pretty buggy and wet near clam lake. We camped at day lake, nice spot, but lots of bugs, but no one was really complaining. Didn't make it through all the atv trails leading into clam lake due to having bigger bikes and didn't have protection on the bikes or ourselves to go diving in some of the bigger puddles. We did a few, but didn't want to push our luck. Other than that, was dry, one bridge was signed as closed ahead just prior to clam lake if I recall, but was super easy route around. We didn't ride down to check out if it was really out or not, just made a quick route around. Was an awesome feeling of cool air as we were coming down off the hills towards the lake. Have fun!
    BLucare and pjensen641 like this.
  3. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report!
  4. TAL57

TAL57 n00b

Oddometer:
    Any report on conditions of the TWAT from your July 4th ride? I'm going to do it from Ontario north with a friend on KLR's. Thx.
  5. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go for it and there are always ride-arounds if things get swampy. Bring your bug spray!
  6. MarcoSolo

MarcoSolo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live near Ontario/Wildcat Mt. State Park and was looking at picking up the route there. Going purely by the GPS map of the route, it looks like it has more twisties going south which to me means hills and valleys. I see a lot of straight lines going north indicating flat farm land until it gets a good ways north. Anyone care to comment on the terrain and riding differences of going south vs. north?
  7. TAL57

TAL57 n00b

Oddometer:
  8. TAL57

TAL57 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks BigH for the report. I'll post one too when we finish.
  9. TheBigH

TheBigH Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You are correct, heading south will follow the valleys and the bluffs. Going north you get more gravel / sand later on. You’re in a great spot to enjoy both directions. More atv trail options north as well. Have fun.
  10. MarcoSolo

MarcoSolo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I went north and did have fun overall. Bugs were murder - took a half hour nap on a bench at a roadside rest area and the something ate me alive - they got inside my shirt and pants and I have raised welts just about everywhere. It was cook your brains hot mid afternoons, got torrential rain and lots of lightning the second night but the tent stayed dry inside. The forecast was for more of the same so I took a different route back home without finishing the northern section. The riding was fun but I got seriously squirrely in the sand and dumped it once - dual sport tires just don't float on that confectioner's sugar. I was alone and had fits getting the bike back up with the front tire sliding away every time I lifted. Lots of flooding - road/trail closure but an easy go-around. Scenery was great, enjoyed one twisty logging road very much - never saw a truck, people I talked with were great. Food availability along the route was nil - I'll bring more next time. I'm going to let the Calamine lotion do it's thing on the welts and when this heat wave abates some, head back out and do the southern end.
    BasicJim, 9Realms and TheBigH like this.
  11. TheBigH

TheBigH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you had an adventure. Add sand to any trip to instantly make it memorable. We did eat at gas stops primarily, until we hit the holy grail that is the Delta Diner. If you didn't make it that far North. That alone is worth the effort, even if you have to cheat and use pavement, that's a great place. Enjoy the southern route. The overlook in Lansing is cool, so don't miss that. It's just off the route as a pin. I also drove into the yellow river State Forrest further to take a look, and it's a cool park. Some little creek crossings, and looks like opportunities to trout fish. Wyalusing is cool place to camp and has great vistas as well.
    9Realms and MarcoSolo like this.
  12. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
  13. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was there several years ago. They were just closing, but the cook agreed to stay open for us. We had the most charming waitress. I wonder if she is still there. Racer
    9Realms likes this.
  14. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I can take a guess..... perhaps this gal?

fine service.jpg
  15. Blue Mule

Blue Mule Persistent Slacker Supporter

Oddometer:
    MarcoSolo likes this.
  16. MarcoSolo

MarcoSolo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that - that explains the big welts. I thought it might have been ants but I never saw any on me. The rest stop was on a slow bow of the river a quarter mile from Jump River, WI., so I was sleeping about 20 yards from the water.

My wife daubed me with Calamine last night and there are over 100 bites - armpits mostly, groin, all around the belt line and down to the sacral area. I had Off on my face, neck and hands, all the exposed areas, so no bites there. I'll know better next time - thanks again.
  17. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, absolutely, that's her. The pictures don't do her justice, but thanks for posting and the memories. I think she will go far and do well. Racer
  18. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    That's Mary. She's the general manager. Started there as a server when she was in high school, and after college, Todd the owner promoted her to basically running the operations. She's a really nice person. Her husband runs a resort nearby called Pine Point. If you want the best BBQ outside of Kansas City (and I'm a BBQ snob) go to Pine Point on a weekend. It's worth it.
  19. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had been riding most of the morning on snow machine trails looking for the diner. We arrived just as they were closing. She came out and told us they were in the process of closing and we asked if we could just come in and look and maybe get something to drink since we had come so far to ride and this was one of our way points of interest. She invited us in, then went back to talk to the chef and came out and said they would remain open while we ate. You just don't see that often. Wish we lived closer. Racer
  20. Chugiak

Chugiak Lechien Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was thinking of doing this route in October (schedule and stuff) but didn't know how the trail condition would be that time of year. Several folks going from GSA to Urals just wondering how it is this year with this wet season we have had.

Where is the best place to get the GPS files?