2019 Trans-Wisconsin Trail Conditions

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by pjensen641, Jun 24, 2019.

1. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw lots of high water crossing on the web, however, we didn't encounter any. In deep sand, rain is your friend. Don't know about GPS files, we were following another rider that had them down loaded. Racer
    9Realms likes this.
  2. Chugiak

Chugiak Lechien Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Racer, good to know about the water levels you saw.
  3. rabvette

rabvette Ride Hard!

Oddometer:
    We are supposed to be leaving for the trail on Thursday, starting in Dubuque and going north. Any more update on conditions? Riding a GSA and a lot of the others will be on smaller bikes. I know I can by pass the sand, but getting old enough a lot of mud does not sound like fun. Just wondered how much mud and tougher conditions you ran into?
  4. uoeno

uoeno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Completed the trail a few weeks ago. First part of trip is no issues. As you get close to black river falls and shortly out of it you hit some sand but it can be easily detoured. Then a few sections farther north again easily detoured. The mud is really going to depend on the weather a few days before you hit that specific section, If it rains the night before then yeah your going to hit mud, but it doesn’t take long to dry out.

Not sure if you’ve ridden the trail before but in my opinion it wasn’t nearly as bad as I was thinking. Obviously people post pictures of there bikes in the worst sand possible, but really I found it was generally short sections of bad sand that cleared up fairly quick. It’s pretty much all easy riding. I did it solo on a klr and at no point was I really worried safety wise, it was all manageable

117D9412-8A79-4FED-ADF2-251572AED93F.jpeg
    9Realms, IA KLR and runpet like this.
  5. IA KLR

IA KLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rode it last year and I just returned from northern WI Thursday. The mud in that region is not at all like the mud here in Iowa or Il. When me and my friend rode it last year it was wet or raining most of the time and it was still pretty easy to keep a confident pace. Also as was stated before in the sandy stuff rain is helpful. FWIW we were both on KLR650s with d606 rears and knobby fronts.
  6. rabvette

rabvette Ride Hard!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reports!
  7. rplo

rplo n00b

Oddometer:
    http://transwisconsintrail.com/wordpress/
  8. rplo

rplo n00b

Oddometer:
    EDB339E8-1CA4-4F0C-8DDD-10F6BFABC43B.png Just finished the TWAT. Big thanks to the guy who mapped this out and posted it for all to enjoy. I live outside of Chicago so finding something even close to adventure riding is tough unless you do mx. I was just out in Colorado and did some of the backcountry high passes out there. The TWAT was as entertaining IMO, just lacking in views. Particularly a fan of the ATV track through Cheq Nicolet Medford District - reminded me of MTB.

Conditions of track/route:
    1. Sand from Hwy 2 to Lake Superior. Some sections of the NF roads north of hwy 2 have very deep sections of sand and it just keeps coming thus if you like sand this will be a great section otherwise I would route around via paved roads. Aside from hwy 2 to Lake Superior all the sand in previous sections is mild to moderate and short.

2. Mud and pooled water throughout some of the ATV sections of the route. Expect large rocks and deep gravel in all ATV sections. Easily rideable.

Aside from what is noted above and the annoying (becomes annoying after two days of it) piling gravel of Wisconsin county roads, the TWAT was great.

The end was kind of a let down - you will see what I mean.
    9Realms likes this.
  9. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed this year that gravel on the county roads is as bad as I have ever seen. Perhaps ATVs having the legal right to run on the county roads isn't helping.
  10. The.Rook

The.Rook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am leaving on the 19th to do it solo. :super