2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+: 1200 Mile report

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Smaug1, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Meinbmw

Meinbmw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What goes on on such a rally? I am in Rochester, Mn. not far from the Wisconsin event coming up.

2. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    And... what kind of pace are we looking at for rides? I too am a bit interested.
  3. Smaug1

Smaug1 '19 Kawasaki Versys 1000, '15 SMax

Oddometer:
    It depends on the group you go with. Once you arrive, there are no "official rides". You just hook up with a group and ride with them. The rallies are big, by my standards. Usually 25+ riders show up. The bigger ones have 50+. Riding groups are usually less than 10.

They're a little clique-ish sometimes, so you have to be outgoing. They're not deliberately excluding anyone, but they're not actively looking for new members to include, either. Most of them don't use the forum or facebook group, (which is a shame) they just ride together because they've known each other for years.

I don't like riding with the groups that go flying into the blind turns/hills, I like the slower group or just ride on my own, so I can stop frequently and take pictures. They put up GPX files from previous years.
    alekkas likes this.
  4. Smaug1

Oddometer:
    I made another attempt to get the bat signals lowered on mine two nights ago. This time, I brought a ratchet, so I could turn it faster than I could using the teeth on the side of the screw. I still didn't see a difference, nor could I even tell which way it was going. I'm going to make one more attempt tonight with my power ratchet. If that doesn't work, I'm going to bring it back to the dealer and ask them to adjust them, as they should've done as part of the initial set-up.
  5. Smaug1

Oddometer:
    People either show up Thursday night or some time Friday. We meet and catch up in the parking lot and hotel cafe. Go out to dinner. Come back and maybe have a few drinks.

The next day, people get up at various times and head out in small groups or alone. Often, I will make arrangements with a group that has been riding together for years the night before. They provide .GPX files from previous years' loops/rides. Sometimes, they are pure riding loops, sometimes they are "ride to eat" loops, and sometimes, they have other destinations. Some guys/gals always ride in the same group, at every event. Some groups are fast, others are slower.

After the day's riding, we start to congregate in the parking lot. Pull up some chairs, pop open some drinks and just hang out and talk. At some point, break for dinner. Then hang around and talk some more. It's very loose.

Saturday is the same, but with more traffic on the back roads. Better to go earlier Saturdays.

Sunday, folks pack up and head home.

I hope you can make it to the TWISTAR rally in LaCrosse. Look for my girlfriend and I on our '19 SE. I'll be wearing a yellow helmet, and she has white. Or message me here.

Info for the ride coordinators for each rally is here: http://ridemsta.com/srblog/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2019-MSTA-Schedule-of-Rally-1.pdf

There's also a facebook group for Motorcycle Sport Touring Association.
  6. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. My pace varies greatly if solo or two up with my wife. Good deal. Will check it out more.
  7. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Versys review, I've been eyeing those since the previous version.

Sport tourers: BMW R1200RT and RS included there? How about F800GT?
  8. Smaug1

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the BMWs are. They are the original manufacturer of STs.

...but I just can't consider BMW. Cost of ownership is too high.
    3sum likes this.
  9. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Now that your Versys is in the flea market, you will have to provide a final report on how you got along with the bike.
    3sum likes this.
  10. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Kawasaki dropped the ball in regards to the design of the panniers and went with form over function. Yes they look good and will hold a full face helmet but that indent in the rear of the pannier really reduces usable carrying capacity. I had the Kawasaki panniers on my H2SXSE but if I had to buy panniers over again I would go with Givi simply because I'd rather have panniers with a bit more capacity. I briefly looked at the Versys and Triumph Tiger 1200 but opted for a BMW GSA. Good report thanks for sharing.
  11. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    While the cost of a new BMW is higher than the cost of a new Versys it really is a myth that BMW's are expensive to own and maintain. I've owned a Kawasaki ZX14R and H2SXSE along with BMW's and I can tell you there's very little difference in what I pay to maintain my BMW's and what I pay to maintain my Kawasaki's.
    bowtie39 and GeoAggie like this.