2020/2021 Freeway Loop rides and beyond

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by jonz, Nov 12, 2020.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Howdy gang,
    I just got a 2020 Huskie 701 LR and took it on it's first desert shakedown ride. No, I probably won't be riding this on the freeway loop though it's possible I may stray onto the loop occasionally. But I will be riding the dirt roads alongside the freeway loop, into Joshua Tree NP, and even south of the freeway on down to the Bradshaw Trail. For those unfamiliar with this area, it's the desert on either side of I-10 east of Coachella and west of Blythe.

Today's ride was using the canal access road heading east of Dillon Rd. and north of I-10. I last rode that road a couple years ago on my 1290 and it is in much worse condition. I was happy to be on 200 lbs less motorcycle. Before Chiriaco Summit, we turned off to Hotel California. Been a couple years since I rode up here and the BLM trails have seen MUCH more SXS use. The chop gave the 701 suspension a workout. But it was nice to see Hotel California still in great shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Security was in place making sure people took care of the place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have the 400XCW for more hard core rides on the actual freeway loop.

C'mon out to the desert and let's ride.
    BrockEvan, catfish, racer187x and 2 others like this.
  2. jonz

Oddometer:
    I failed to mention - I'm retired and can ride any day of the week. Sadly, my main riding buddy went back to a M-F 9-5 job so I'm frequently riding solo which means I dial down the risk some. Mornings are nice and cool - good for the more strenuous freeway loop. Afternoon temp's vary but at least aren't hot (80's for the next week) and are fine for the desert roads where you're moving a little faster.
    catfish and 3rdgeargrndrr like this.
  3. racer187x

racer187x Ben hur awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool! Someone else out here in the Coachella Valley. I’ve got a non-plated XR650R and a KTM 950ADV. Putting some heavier springs in the forks and switching out the Pirelli Scorpions for MotoZ knobbies. Would be up for some rides, haven’t explored much off-road around here yet. I’m usually off Sun-Mon-Tuesday-ish.
  4. jonz

Oddometer:
    Outstanding. For the freeway loop, we usually meet up at the end of Fargo Canyon Rd at the end of the pavement and park the trucks just past the gate going into Coachella Valley Aggregates. When I was a young pup (in my 50's) I'd ride my 950SE on the freeway loop and Riceless would ride his 950 Adventure but it's a lot of work, and don't expect your bike to look as good at the end as at the beginning. The XR650 is the perfect desert bike as long as your kicking leg is ready for a workout. Many pic's in this thread are from the freeway loop:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/riceless-victims.467295/

There's lots other more moderate rides just lots of sand like the ride above to Hotel California. I hope to spend some time in the garage today or tomorrow re jetting my 400 to sea level. So I'll be ready to RIDE!!!
    Bob likes this.
  5. racer187x

racer187x Ben hur awhile

Oddometer:
    Assuming that if SxS are using the trails a bike without a plate will be ok? The XRR is green stickered.
  6. jonz

Oddometer:
    Depends on the trail. You need a plate for the rides into Joshua Tree National Park. Green sticker for the BLM land. I'm riding the freeway loop tomorrow. KSU at 0900 at the concrete plant
  7. jonz

Oddometer:
    Pinkham Canyon just north of I-10
    [​IMG]

A beautiful day for a ride if a little warm
    richard310, Timmer and racer187x like this.
  8. Slickrick

Slickrick Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am up for riding as well. I rode with you & Mike Emerson, winter before last, Pioneer Town to Big Bear. I was on the DR650. I picked up a KTM 390 Adventure looking to do 2 track. I was hoping to get a regular Tuesday dirt ride going this winter. Hopefully Mke could join in. I was thinking of doing the Pioneer Town to Big Bear this Tues before winter sets in.

Rick
  9. jonz

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, Tuesday sounds good for a ride to Big Bear. Let me see if Mike or any of the rest of the gang wants to ride. Or anyone else checking out this thread. I'll be on the 701LR. When/where to meet up?
  10. racer187x

racer187x Ben hur awhile

Oddometer:
    Tuesday’s are usually great for me (except this coming Tuesday). Maybe I can catch you guys 12/1?
  11. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    @riceless :imaposerI remember reading about all his victims and his trek up and back to do Rubicon!
    Bullseye and riceless like this.
  12. Slickrick

Oddometer:
    How about the coffee house on the corner of 62 & Pioneer Town Rd KU 9:00
  13. jonz

Oddometer:
    Works for me. I guess you talked with Mike and know he can't ride this week.
  14. jonz

Oddometer:
    @Slickrick and I rode this route today:
    [​IMG]
    Met in Yucca Valley and rode Burns Canyon to 2N01 to Hwy 38 and looped back down on 2N02 to Burns Canyon. We rode past an 8000 foot elevation sign on Hwy 38 and it was cool up there.
    [​IMG]

But not too cool to have fun.
    [​IMG]

I was on my new Huskie 701LR and he was on a KTM390 Adventure. I was impressed with the 390 but the cast rims made me nervous. No problems though.

Lots of people out - I'm sure I saw ten times more people than I've ever seen on a weekday. More like a holiday weekend. The sand on the lower part of Burns Canyon Rd was probably
    the least I've seen. We saw a local car pulling some kind of sweeping drag sled down - maybe that had something to do with the lack of sand.

Let's ride!!!
    riceless, NSFW and racer187x like this.
  15. racer187x

racer187x Ben hur awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking about seeing if the Ramona truck trail is open up 74. Haven’t been up there or Thomas Mountain road. Got a leaky fork seal and waiting on parts to fix it but good to ride tomorrow on big bike friendly stuff.
  16. jonz

Oddometer:
    Normally, I'm always up for a ride but I'm taking my dog out quail hunting tomorrow morning. If you ride Ramona Truck Trail, post up on the condition. I've been thinking about riding it but haven't been on it in several years.
  17. Slickrick

Oddometer:
    Good ride Jonz. I had aired down to 23 psi front & rear so far no problems.

I am in Death Valley this week, but up for next Tues. I rode Thomas Mt right before the last snow, it was in great shape but did hit some silt beds near the Hemet end.

Does anyone know if Dunn Rd is open for motos?
  18. jonz

Oddometer:
    Nope. I *gasp* *huff* *puff* ride (and push) it a few times a year on my mountain bike, at least the bottom portion leaving the Cathedral City cove. There are a couple of gates where I ride and there are more above where I turn off onto trails
  19. racer187x

racer187x Ben hur awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Rosa truck trail is in good condition. Basic two track dirt road. Took it up to just under Toro peak. Some ice/snow on the north side but very little. Pictures below are as much as I saw. Fun road!

0000230C-370E-417F-8C2F-574F86AB80A5.jpeg 74D84273-22F2-41A7-A942-04C1472228A5.jpeg 7F24A0C3-452C-416D-B692-6C1ECD0A5C39.jpeg 373CF86E-1ACE-4651-87C4-AECB2A7BFB10.jpeg F7466908-159F-42B3-B8A1-F3D307358A1C.jpeg
    richard310 likes this.
  20. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim Timiteo Viejo

Oddometer:
    :confusedThat looks a lot like 7S02 up Santa Rosa. Ramona Trail is over near Lake Hemet and goes up to Thomas Mountain. Both are great rides.:thumbup