2020 790 ADV R Rally!

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by SierraCB, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Aus LC8

Aus LC8 Australian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 950’s are still a very special bike to me, however the 790 has taken me by surprise. Basically it comes down to not being able to buy a new 950 today, so it has to be the 790. Now if they were both on sale, that would be a really hard decision but as I spend more time on the 790, it may just be pulling ahead
    Nowwhat likes this.
  2. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a deposit for the Rally at my dealer, and he's confirmed they're getting one and it's mine. I've also heard sometime in Jan, but we'll see.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  3. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Yes!
  4. Sameer Dawood

Sameer Dawood Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Is this a US dealer?

I will have to ask mine. I was told March

But then again I am in NY. I will have to garage it or leave on expedition somewhere south.
  5. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I only know this answer because I know @brianpc and know the dealership: it's GP Motorcycles in San Diego.
  6. Sameer Dawood

Sameer Dawood Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I asked my salesman again
    He said he will look into it.
    But so far he is saying March

I am still happy though. Atleast we will get reports how nice it is etc
  7. MPNX2

MPNX2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if these will be offered again in 2021 and if so will they have an increased supply? Although as others have mentioned you can buy an R and add the components but one article did say they tweaked the frame geometry for the increased travel on the Rally bike.
  8. macaw1us

macaw1us Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I suspect the 30mm of travel is the reason for the change.
    You can't put all the upgrades on the bike for the $6,000.00 up-charge KTM is charging for the Rally.
  9. comac90

comac90 Where's Charlie?

Oddometer:
    closer to $7k when you figure in suspension, pegs, filter, quickshift, cruise, akrapovic ...
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's very true as an end user.

As a manufacturer every part they replace is a regular stock part they don't have to make so the cost to them to offer the upgrades is not nearly as expensive. Just guessing here but maybe 1200 more for suspension, 200 for exhaust, 20 for the cruise switch, 40 for the pegs, nothing for the qs. Let's say another 100 for the color changes. So roughly 2500 extra cost to KTM, maybe.

But we want what we want and stuff is worth what folks are willing to spend to get it. It will be Badass bike no doubt.
  11. macaw1us

macaw1us Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, they are making a bucket load on the bike, but it will be such a nice bike when it hits the street.
    It would be great if it was only $3 grand and even better if I could find one to buy. :(

12. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    If I didn't find my 2nd hand 2019 790R (1500 kms on clock) I would now be in line for Rally. At some point I still thought maybe I will exchange R to Rally but now that I have get to know the bike better I'm happy making my own 'offroad edition'.

Reasons are more of personal preferences than R or Rally being bad in any way:
    - Limited edition adds value for someone and also appeals to me but the reality is that it's likely gonna get dragged sideways in mud as I don't collect showcase bikes
    - Rally parts can be bought as spare parts with roughly same price and you get to keep the originals
    - Disappointed with rims being so wide, also Rally needs a set of narrower rims to access enduro tires
    - Needs pretty much the same mods as R (handlebar, front mask, single front brake, decat, sidestand switch etc..)

In other words I hoped Rally to be actual Rally that would be equipped for offroad on the expense of road / 2up / travel capabilities. I liked the marketing '..because we can' but the result is still a bit short what we could expect from Ktm if they really make the 790 RALLY they can.
  13. comac90

comac90 Where's Charlie?

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you’re wanting a KTM Adventure R Racer - ‘the most race-capable rally bike’ - instead of the Adventure R Rally - ‘the most travel-capable rally bike’. :D

For me, the Rally appears it could be the perfect bike for my ‘stable of one’ - I commute, travel, ride two up on and off-road and run everything from east cost single track to Utah desert ... and only have space for one bike.

I actually like that they didn’t make other changes from the R than they did ... improved the suspension, added generic improvements most want (rally pegs, cruise, quickshift, akrapovic, PP filter, etc) and then left the personal stuff (handlebars, windshields, etc) alone for one to customize how they’d like. But, that’s just me -

That said, if one is going after a no compromise 790 rally bike, I think you’re right - the Rally doesn’t seem to be the way to go. There are definitely cheaper routes that would result in better builds - IMO, YMMV:freaky
    t
    Magile and ramirin like this.
  14. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At this point, I'm waiting to hear if the dealers are putting a "Limited Edition" tax on those of us with deposits on the Rally... I've heard a rough MSRP of $20k and curious if that's going to be accurate. :)
  15. comac90

comac90 Where's Charlie?

Oddometer:
    No ‘limited edition tax’ at my dealer, but your pricing is accurate ... in the US, MSRP is $19,499 + $550 freight.
    brianpc likes this.
  16. KTMatt

KTMatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    So in the good old USofA they are $19500 which is around $28500 in Australia so ride away about $30000 but we get slugged the KTM wank factor tax and they want $35500 Ride away ...... now that's taking the piss
    WallyWhirled and braaap! like this.
  17. Vargubau

Vargubau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus state and local taxes in US. Anywhere from 4.5% to 10% depending on the registration location.
  18. NHktmRider

NHktmRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not everywhere......0% in New Hampshire.
  19. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @KTMatt It just aint fair, but what is these days?.. BTW, when are you gonna be making a 790 skidplate?

:thumbup
  20. KTMatt

KTMatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I gotta get a bike first.
    Was thinking bash plate ,rally pipe and rear tanks should do it.