2020 790 ADV R Rally!

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by SierraCB, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In fairness, Chris Birch rally raced a regular 790 Adv R and came in 3rd overall. So, I guess if the regular Adv R does pretty good the rally version should also do pretty good.
  2. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    If pricing is what I've heard, you can buy R model and all the power parts & wp pro to build 'Rally' for less - and you can sell R parts to make it even better deal.. At least in Finland where taxes are very high on vehicles.

It surely looks nice but in the end who cares about tank color when draging it sideways on dirt to find a spot with some grip to get going again :lol3
    hondamxracer likes this.
  3. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    For the cost of a Rally, I could keep my 790 and buy a 500 EXC and walk away with a better dirt bike.
  4. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I think you just justified your next purchase :thumb
  5. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    The more I watch other people mod the shit out of their 790 the more I realize it’ll never be a 240lb dirtbike.
  6. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    That is very true. But mods aren't always for that.

For example me, I just hate it when I can't see the front wheel (fender) - I feel like I'm just a passenger on back seat behind a window moving along.

Getting the weight down obviously has some benefits but it doesn't improve driving skills that matter a lot more than few kilos here and there. Making mods has also affect on the mind set if you feel like driving a dirt bike you can do amazing stuff with these big monsters.

And the main thing is that it's interesting and fun to play with mods and share that stuff with same minded people on forums like this.

That said the only way to make 790 dirtbike is to buy exc and set of 790 stickers.
    CaseyB, kzeb, Matt P and 1 other person like this.
  7. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    or this:

20190512_133347.jpg

Attached Files:

PilbaraGoat, kzeb, Matt P and 2 others like this.
  8. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely loved (!!!) my '17 701, but even with its ultra smooth single it was no replacement for a twin on the open road (for me that is). Didn't wanna sell that bike but had to at the time.

When it came time for a new bike I agonized over '19 690 or '17+ 701 vs 790 S or R but in the end the twin seemed like it'll better option for me now that I'm in Vegas instead of St George (tragedy I tell ya!). It will see a lot more road miles here.

I split the difference though a little bit by hunting down a 790 R :D
  9. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I've had 690 for past decade, it's a good allrounder but it is not dirt / enduro bike either (no matter how much mods).
    790 on the other hand is a real motorcycle with the range and the power which is fun to ride onroad and somewhat capable offroad unlike 690/701 which is somewhat cabable for everything but not exactly shining in anything.

790 is the best motorcycle I've ever had including suzuki gsxf 750 and v-strom 650 (IMHO).
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    ain’t nobody but maybe 2 or 3 people buying this limited run going to race a rally on it anyway. People are buying this to say they have it, for the most part.
    It may have been a cheaper option for someone like Nowwhat (since he bought the wheels and suspension anyways), but he was still going to pay Rottweiler to go through it after the fact anyways, and he didn’t have to wait an extra year or three.
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Bingo!

A bit of a sad statement that we, as consumers, lap it up. I respect it (the Rally Edition) for what it is .. just not what it's slated as. I also respect the route @Nowwhat took by conspiring with a builder to develop the best bike based off the 790 that money could buy (at the time of the build). He got mostly what he wanted, I'm sure. But the mind can be restless, and I'm also confident parts will be added, and some even deleted with time. It's a natural evolution. But I'd rather have his bike in my garage than a Rally by KTM; anyday.
  12. macaw1us

macaw1us Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to have a Rally without that POS front shield.
    I don't understand why people need one anyway, seems if riders have become soft to me.
    A Rally with a regular headlight would be my 1st choice and I'll keep up or pass most.
  13. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    The thing that’s holding my Adv R back isn’t the suspension, it’s the operator.
    hondamxracer, Jimbobvfr and ramirin like this.
  14. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely, a used 500. Or, you could get a used street bike and walk away with a better street bike. Plenty of options.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    :rofl

What always crosses my mind when it goes in a similar direction is WHAT?? No way on Earth I'm taking seat time away from ma babay! I'm becoming a 790 snob in record time. The love affair is real. (It's ok my wife doesn't browse this thread..) I could have kept my last whip, the 300xc which was good and dialed in, but honestly I'd rather become as good as possible on the bigger bike. Plus I always wanted to be light on that bike, and refused to carry tools, or anything but water. Rider stupidity, but at least on the 790 I am properly suited up, versus just elbow and knee pads and I have all my tools, water and ultralight survival gear enough to beat the band.

...and the shit eating grin on my face after several hundred kms of trails, when I rip back home on the blacktop is literally priceless. I'm sure a litre bike would be a hoot, or a motard or .. but eggs, every last one of you, meet 790 ;)
  16. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I use Freeride-E to learn balance and stuff that I then move to 250 tpi and learn same with clutch&throttle that I then move to 500exc and learn to handle bigger spinning masses that I then move to 790 and try to stay upright :lol3

I should probably go look for trial and 1290 adv :rofl
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  17. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    I figure long term I’ll end up with a big bike and a little bike. I want to push into the Rockies more and don’t really want to do it on a 400+ pound bike.

FWIW, I don’t begrudge anyone getting a Rally and I look forward to reading about them when they arrive. Just because the math doesn’t work in my situation doesn’t mean it’s not perfect for someone else.
    ramirin, TrailTrauma and oldfuddy like this.
  18. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a teen in the ‘70’s I had a ‘74 Elsinore. One of my buds had a ‘73 Honda 350-Four with knobbies. I had as much fun or more on the big 4-cyl 350 as I had on my Elsinore. Naturally it was no match for the Elsinore in the tight New England woods. But I was bit by the bug way back then that it’s a different kind of fun trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Kinda like entering my SE in a smoker/thumper desert Grand Prix’s and mx races. No chance ever of winning and only finished a few to be truthful. But what a blast.
    enduro16 and TrailTrauma like this.
  19. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Truly agree, you can do crazy shit with the stock suspension if you can keep up with it. My 2 main reason to go for pro is to make it higher as I need the ground clearance (poor driver, wheelies can compensate any clearance issue) and I bought this bike for my 40th birthday and decided it can have same parts as Rally since it's still cheaper than the limited edition. I was actually already in line for Rally but no so convinced to get one as 500 pcs is not so much worldwide and then found one for sale with only 1500km on the clock.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  20. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Can't have too much of a good thing :lol3

Seat height would be around 940mm.

I think I'll be happy with 270/910