2020 alaska trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wingtraveler, Oct 16, 2018.

1. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    The Top of the World Highway is a great road and worth doing if you have the time.
    It's not particularly difficult unless it's raining or under construction (even then you can easily do it if you slow down and are focussed).

2. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once in Banff may I suggest you take the 742 south out of Canmore for a gravel route, or 40 south for a paved route. While more scenic heading north, both are still great roads.

And if you have time (since you'll be in the area) I highly recommend heading to Fort MacLeod to see https://headsmashedin.ca/.
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  3. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    was planning 2 days in jasper want to see maligne lake and a day of rest
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  4. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    checking tow route to alaska since i will have time
  5. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In Tok can I suggest Thompsons Eagle Claw campground? It a motorcycle campground including a shed with tools for doing some maintenance. The best part is the other riders coming and going, great commeradery.
    Project Mayhem and wingtraveler like this.
  6. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    was planning on staying there 2 nights change my oil there and go to chicken the next day for a day trip
  7. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Ah. Didn't see the second link.
    Nice one. Let me know if you spend any time in the Calgary area, I'd be happy to ride with you and show you around. If you have any questions about backroads around this area I can provide some suggestions.
  8. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did my Alaska trip in 2012 on my f800gs. My route to Alaska was almost exactly the same as your planned route north. I started at home just south of Detroit and went through the UP of Michigan and picked up route 2 in Wakefield, MI. If you have time don't rush through the UP of Michigan. If time allows either way going or coming home take a side trip to Copper Harbor, Kitch-iti-kipi, H-58 from Munising to Grand Marais, or Tahquamenon Falls. I made it from Michigan to Fairbanks in 8 days, so 15 days to get to Anchorage will be no problem.
    wingtraveler likes this.
  9. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2018, it was $185 plus tax for shitty room in Whitehorse and having to lug your stuff up and down a flight stairs

vs $12 at a Yukon campground with all the free firewood you can burn
    black 8 likes this.
  10. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    yea i want to ride it but thats a lot of dirt for my wing and a long ways from home dame it what do i do?????????:) definitely doing the arctic circle and back need more input on the TOW
  11. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    hey took my twin on my first ride ever today 30* but sunny, why different the my wing , i now have 7 miles on it my oxford grips where like fire i have them hooked up to the oem connector so there keyed and turn off when the keys off no worrys :) IMG_0842.JPG IMG_0839.JPG
    superfunkomatic and Bigbob1 like this.
  12. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Top of the World... If its dry it's very doable on your Wing even pulling your RAH. I have driven it many times on my Wing. There are sections that are paved but most is dirt. This past summer just after we cleared US customs we hit a long batch of NEW pavement on the US side. It was great, at that point I wished I was on my wing, not my 650. Again, if it's been dry for a few days you should not have any issue, just take your time. In the gravel always be in one gear higher than you would normally be at any given speed and it helps take the twitchyness out of the bike as you give it throttle.

Skipping the TOW is ok too. Haines Junction/Kluane Lake area is stunning on a nice day. I really like riding thru this area, maybe a little more that TOW.....

The other side of the coin, my buddy was riding his Wing about 10 years ago on the TOW and he was a little late in the day and worried that Canadian customs was going to close before he got there. He pushed it and lost it on a muddy corner. Banged him self up and his wing. A passer by eventually helped him get back on the roadway and they duck taped his Wing back together to get home a few days later but it was months till his ribs and leg/knee were better and lots of $$$ to replace a bunch of body work on the Wing.
  13. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    still up in the air on the TOW highway after everyone rides it this year i will read what everyone says about the roads and make a decision then but who knows if its been nice for a few days riding up i just may ride the TOW . have my gear list started and supply list started. maybe some one could suggested what to bring and what not to bring that would be a big help i believe i should bring gas for sure.
  14. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll have to make the decision when yoy are near. Conditions can change quickly if it rains. There were Harleys and Wings alonh with BMW 1600cc touring bikes on it when I drove it in 2017.

My suggestion for the return trip would be to drive the Cassiar. It's more scenic and you'll avoid most of the construction (ie sandy and gravel sections ) of the Alaska Highway.

Have you decided Wing for sure and if so are you camping and riding 2 up on the way back?
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  15. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    so far yes wing and camper 2 up on way back so far no change in that and we are taking the cassiar on the way back still a year yet so plans could change on the wife joining.
  16. PA Dewayne

PA Dewayne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wingtraveler, what phone mount are you using on your Africa Twin?
    any cons?
  17. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't imagine choosing a Goldwing over an African Twin for an Alaska ride, but that's just me.
    bobw likes this.
  18. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    well when you have a wife that will be riding back from alaska to home which is 6k miles away i bellieve she would like to ride on something comfy and feels alittle safer on. No really this is what she said we will be taking the wing right ? so thats why the wing and not the twin but if she does decide to not go at all the twin is the bike i will be taking .
    68vette and Bigbob1 like this.
  19. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Good luck, your angst on dirt road sections is something you may feel better about by loading SWMBO and the trailer on the Wing and seeking out some serious dirt road practice miles. Our individual skills and experience combined with the variables of weather and construction and, and, and, will drive you crazy seeking advice on should you or should you not be OK on any given section on any given day. Plenty of photos showing well experienced riders on "perfectly" kitted dual sports going nowhere in 2018, but stuck in the mud on their attempt to make Tuk where others just days before or after had relative clear sailing. Road construction can be as fickle in predicting too, you only need "that one" to be encountered as some have shared above to have a really bad day. Bottom line is take what you want and adjust as needed and don't look back. The area is so vast that you will not see it all no matter which bike you pick, so stop worrying so much about what you nor any of us can control, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Sharing the trip with your wife will be amazing!

Cheers
  20. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    i know we cant control the weather , or know what to expect but with the many pics on this subject you can get a idea of what you could expect out on the alcan or tow or the dalton , yes it could be a great day sun shining then out on nowhere it could down pour and the gravel dirt road your were cruising down is now a creek or a swamp. i like looking and the pics of all travels, shows what it looks like during sun, or rain everyone says you'll never know what to expect on the trip, i believe you will know its either rain or sun or snow if you studied and read the ride reports from others you will know what to expect. youll just have to know what to do when you encounter it, stop,continue call it a day, wait it out. i'm looking forward to this trip, yes i know i will encounter some tricky stuff when on the wing but hopefully someone from this forum will be working there way up and help out any way they can as i would do the same for them. 390 !