2020 alaska trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wingtraveler, Oct 16, 2018.

1. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    You've got it handled, best of luck!
  2. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    1 year to go! so ready for this trip, still reading and learning about this trip from so many other people, have my list of stuff to bring ,m really only concern is the road repair areas been enjoying reading everyones reports on the trips going up to alaska this year, not only on this site but a couple others also.
    Bigbob1 and travlr_45 like this.
  3. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    just returned from a quick vac. to the amish country in lancaster PA 4 hrs from where i live, was a awesome time open county, next week to Acadia NP for a long weekend then off to Yellowstone for 2 weeks in aug,sept.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  4. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been following and reading these threads on AK as well as Canada and the northwest territory. My plan is to go early June next year with a 4 -6 weeks trip. Over the next few months will be updating my gear and accessories. Probably trailer out to the central US and ride from there. Yellowstone, up thru beartooth pass then glacier NP. Into Alberta. Hopefully meet up and ride with others along the way.
    oneodd1, Bigbob1 and wingtraveler like this.
  5. shotty_co

shotty_co Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm on a similar plan. My wife and I did a two week 5K mile 2-Up trip from Colorado to BC (Bella Coola) on an Africa Twin. We did the Northern portion of the COBDR on the way home. The AT is a super capable, super reliable bike. I lubed the chain and adjusted chain tension once during our trip.

So In June 2020 I head North solo on the AT, ride for a month North, then South, Pick up my wife in Anchorage and then ride to Haines to catch a ferry to Bellingham, WA. Put her back on a plane and ride back home ( slowly). I hope we cross paths, I'll be watching your thread.
    wingtraveler likes this.
  6. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    ive heard and seen pics of a fire above fairbanks around livingood that pretty bad fairbanks under a smoke fire warning tell them to stay inside no unnecessary travel smoke very bad
  7. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    lots of smoke and fires all around and also heard there was a explosion in valdez where 3 diesel tanks exploded yesterday.
  8. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    Pic of a fire

Attached Files:

travlr_45 likes this.
  9. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haven't heard anything, nor can I find any reports of, anything like that in Valdez. But there was a boat fire in Whittier harbor on Monday that did quite a bit of damage. Few riders ever get to Whittier, so not much for them to worry about.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  10. VDZride

VDZride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There was a explosion and fire at the petroleum star refinery Thursday night, a tanker truck.
    Valdez fire department has a Facebook page if you want to learn more about it.
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fyi I rode up the AlCan to be in Fairbanks on June 21st this year. The bugs on the way up to Fairbanks were essentially non-existent this year. On the way back 8 days later the flies and insects were noticeably worse - not quite to the unbearable stage but things were certainly on their way there. I live in Minnesota where mosquitoes, flies, and gnats can be unbearable at times. I had no desire to experience BC/Yukon/Alaska insects at their highest density. That means going in early June or after temperatures drop in Fall. Just for your consideration.
    travlr_45 likes this.
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I'll second that. Not much after Muncho Lake but it is one of the prettiest lakes I've ever seen and I'm not a lake guy.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I saw as many Wings as Africa Twins on my ride to Alaska this year. Different strokes for different folks.
    95Monster likes this.
  14. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    75155B38-891F-4E4C-9D5A-FC77A4286061.png Wondering if anyone has heard about this in the news. A little scarey if your on your own and road camping through the alcan
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    A rider on this site with a RR on another thread came upon this incident in her travels and met with RCMP. Crazy stuff happens everywhere.
  16. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty standard for Alaska and northern Canada. Summer means fires and lots of smoke.
    Flynuly likes this.
  17. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed reading this tread and have learned so much. Thank you guys!

Heading North to Alaska from Portland in about 3 weeks finishing in Anchorage all going well.
    Plan is to leave bike there and return next year to finish the journey to Deadhorse and back.

Any advise on reasonable bike storage in Anchorage for 10 months. Maybe a friendly fellow biker with unused garage space?

Could maybe do a swap if same biker wanted to do the Wild Atlantic Way here in Ireland.

Thanks again all.
  18. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    just returned from trip to yellowstone for the last 2 weeks took the wing and camper with the wife. talked about the trip to alaska next year , the wife has decided not to go so i will be taking the africa twin and camping and motels the entire way. i will need some advise on tires to leave on and ones that i will need to have installed for the trip back and where the best place to have them installed, the adventure bike thing is new to me so any help will be welcomed thanks in advance
  19. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    How many miles is your trip going to be? I just got back from AK from SoCal. The bike odo says it was 10,200 miles, about 1,500 of which were on dirt/gravel roads (ToW twice, Dempster twice, Denali Highway once). I ran MotoZ GPSs on my 1090 and front looks about half worn and the rear had 3mm left (started with 12.5mm). Mathematically, it will go about 13kmi before completely bald.

I did the Dempster on my way back and after the TOW twice and Denali highway, so the rear was pretty worn, and it still handled everything great.

Changing tires mid trip is a drag.
    wingtraveler likes this.
  20. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    total trip 12k i would rather not have to change any tires if i do maybe when i get back in to the lower 48 i will be coming into Montana and work my way back to NY through Montana, ND Minnesota, Wisconsin,Michigan Canada then NY i just did that route with the wing and camper and it was a nice decent ride