2020 alaska trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wingtraveler, Oct 16, 2018.

1. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    i have a plan on how i want to set the AT up to haul my gear, i'll be using my large tusk side panniers, i have a 30 l top box but looking into the 47 l and a sw-motech drybag 60 L to go across rear seat. i am also using a 2 gallon roto-pax and a 1 gallon water container. installing the motoz gps tires they say they get 10k plus miles which i'm looking for. i'm all up for some input on storage options other then what i am planning on taking.
  2. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across this thread...…………3 years to plan a trip to another state in the same first world country! OMG. I'll have to follow this.
  3. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    and your point is?
  4. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I would spend some time figuring out what you can leave home. You're talking about 180 liters of storage, which is way more than you need. Less stuff means less weight, better handling, less to lug in and out of motels, etc.

I brought less than 120 liters of storage and in hind sight I could have probably gotten away with 100 liters.

Good choice on the tires :)
    vfrmike, wingtraveler and sieg like this.
  5. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    And don't fret people busting your balls on the planning... you know your reasons. I technically "planned" for 4 years, but it was really day-dreaming while waiting for a window where I could do it. The couple months leading up to departure is when the real planning started!
    Baccadon, CavReconSGT, NSFW and 2 others like this.
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Everybody has a different level of comfort with uncertainty. What I "planned" in three months, including selling a bike and purchasing a different one and a 2,000 mile shakedown run, might be a bit too much or nothing at all for some. What matters is that you dream and you achieve your dream.

When I was 16 years old on my namesake RD350 I had a dream one day to take a comfortable bike on a long ride. I didn't pick a destination. I just day dreamed of a long ride. That dream receded for 39 years behind college, marriage, mortgage, kids, kid's college, and work. It wasn't until one cold day in February I asked myself, "I wonder how far it is to Fairbanks" that the dream came back to life. I realized that dream in June. Now when I lie awake in bed at night, I close my eyes and envision the AlCan running alongside Kluane Lake. For some reason, that long straight stretch headed north with the lake to my right is what sticks deepest in my memory. I didn't plan this trip for 39 years, but it was worth waiting 39 years to do.
    IMG_0109.JPG
  7. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    IMG_6865.JPG IMG_6837.JPG IMG_6835.JPG IMG_6865.JPG

have my tent and my cott tent very simple to set up along with the cot cot size when in bag is 16 x 8 rated for 280 LBs holds me think it will work
    Motogasoline, travlr_45 and Bigbob1 like this.
  8. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m about 1/2 way there with the bike. Have most of the gear already, planning a couple wknd trips in early spring to checkout the setup.
    wingtraveler likes this.
  9. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't been to Alaska but on the touring trips I've done, I've found the best compromise is to book each motel the previous evening. That way you still have a decent amount of flexibility to change your route if you want, but you don't run the risk of arriving somewhere and finding all the motels in the area are booked. Nothing worse than arriving at your destination just before dark and finding none of the motels in town have vacancy, then having to ride to the next town for an hour in complete darkness in moose country.
    Bigbob1 and wingtraveler like this.
  10. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    will be doing mostly camping i will be using motels only if i get washed out
  11. Rednaxs60

Rednaxs60 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went to Dawson City from Victoria this past summer, left 24 June (?) and returned some 19 days later. Took the 1500 Goldwing with trailer two up. Good ride, roads in good condition, some construction. Lots of time to ponder life as you ride between stops. Don't pass up a fuel stop. There are two distances between Hinton and Grand Prairie AB that has signs that mention no services for "X" distance and the province means it. Have enough gas for the trip from Hinton to Grand Cache and from Grand Cache to Grand Prairie, other than these two distances 250 to 300 KM range is good. Google the various cities/towns under tourism and get the pamphlets they will send out for free. Have a PDF file on gas stops for the north, would like to post,but don't know how to upload a PDF file - it's very detailed and accurate. Had a lot of rain days during the ride.

We took camping gear just in case the inn was full where we stopped. Camped for two nights, but if it smelled like rain we took as hotel. Found out that the lighter the camping gear the more expensive it was.

Good luck. Cheers
    wingtraveler likes this.
  12. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    As to fuel stops on the Alcan and Cassiar here are my stops that I have used on 30+ rides on the Alcan.

My normal fuel stops are:
    Dawson Creek
    Pink Mountain, 140 mi
    Fort Nelson, 140 mi
    Toad River, 117 mi
    Muncho Lake, 32 mi. Home of the most expensive gas, it's 170 miles to Watson Lake.
    Coal River Lodge, 108 mi from Toad River, They had Premium fuel last summer.
    Watson Lake 93 mi
    Teslin, 162 mi On this stretch Rancheria is closed, Continental Divide Lodge was open this summer, it's at the 85 mile mark.
    Whitehorse, 110 mi
    Haines Junction, 100 mi
    Destruction Bay, 66 mi
    Beaver Creek, 116 mi.
    Tok, 110 mi
    Delta Junction, 107 mi
    Fairbanks, 95 mi

On the Alcan there are a bunch of other fuel stops but these are the ones that I have used every year. Most of these stops also have food and lodging/camping.

On the Cassiar the gas stops are:
    At the south end, Junction with highway 16
    Meziadin Junction, 98 mi
    Bell 2 Lodge, 58 mi
    Dease Lake, 150 mi
    Junction 37, 150 mi at this point you join the Alcan about 13 miles west of Watson Lake
    Baccadon, wilsonjw42 and wingtraveler like this.
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would be testing that cot for a night or 2. At 280lbs you will need to use the extra cross bows and twist them or you will be on the ground. I have the same cot but weigh almost half. I also use a 1 inch thermarest on top of the cot....it is very comfortable. haha just re read your post it is rated for 280 not you are 280!
    wingtraveler likes this.
  14. Rednaxs60

Rednaxs60 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scanned the gas chart as a JPEG. Hope you can read it. Cheers

Attached Files:

ADVwxyz and wingtraveler like this.
  15. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    That list is kinda dated, I see several places listed that have been closed for a long time. Where did you get it? Maybe they have an updated list?
  16. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    funny no i'm not 280 more like 220 as i was checking this cot out while putting it together i was a little skeptical goes together quickly i laid down on it moved around and was surprised how comfortable it was how it supported me
  17. wingtraveler

Oddometer:

i have read your write up on your trip on goldwing facts my member name is fireshine i enjoyed reading your write up
  18. Rednaxs60

Rednaxs60 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got this list from Dawson Creek Tourism in the spring before we left on our trip.
  19. Rednaxs60

Rednaxs60 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was an interesting/great trip. Thanks for reading. Look forward to your trip. Cheers
  20. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Ok, I figured it was someplace like that. I get a similar info sheet from the visitor center at the Watson Lake Sign Forest.
    Welcome to the forum