1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 BAJA RALLY Presented by Rally Comp- Sept 28 - Oct 3

Discussion in 'Racing' started by BAJA RALLY, Jan 4, 2020.

1. BAJA RALLY

BAJA RALLY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    50% Discount applied for:
    Any prior entrant who forfeited any deposit
    Any 2016 entrant effected by cargo shipping delay.

September 28 - October 3, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 10.57.14 AM.png 2 New Categories: ENDURO COMP & SAFARI-VENTURE

New Hotel Policy: Guarantee of Hotel Room Reservation
    New Refund Policy: More Flexible and Generous
    New Discount Policy: 15%-50% Discounts
    New Rally School Dates: Feb, Mar, April & June

ENSENADA, BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO- Baja Rally powered by RALLY COMP announced major improvements to enhance the racer experience for the signature Rally Raid competition scheduled for September 28 - October 3, 2020. Among these improvements are the addition of two separate entry categories, relaxed refund terms and "Hotel Hold" policy. Now the longest running rally raid in North America, Baja Rally enters the eighth straight year of championship level rally stage racing offering a sustainable alternative to old-school racing on blown out marked courses. It's not for everyone but now racers have more choices in a new decade.

2 New Categories
    ENDURO COMP & SAFARI VENTURE

2 categories have been added to attract racers who want to make the transition into cross country rallies and eventually to the elite RALLY-RAID category.

ENDURO COMP $1,350 - $1,650
    Just imagine racing through Baja California for 5 straight days in an organized competition without any maps, GPS tracks or course markers. It may not be for you, but the stage makers of BAJA RALLY have partnered with RALLY COMP to introduce a brand new way to race in Baja.
    [​IMG]
    ENDURO COMP is a hybrid of traditional off-road racing blended with cross country rally- but we’re taking your GPS, map and roadbook away. You’ll be guided to a starting line at 12 noon everyday and turned loose into the wilds of Baja California. Can you stay on course for at least 100 miles each day? Yes it sounds crazy, but imagine how you’d feel reaching the finish line by dinner time and beating handfulls of other UTV and motorcycle racers.

Don't worry, the RALLY COMP device will keep you safe the entire time and help you most of the way with an open arrow and “distance to” each of several dozen waypoints placed in strategic locations. You simply ride and race in the direction the arrow points. As you approach potential hazards like ditches and big ruts, your RALLY COMP will give you an audible alert to slow the heck down. Once you clear the hazard area, you can get back on the gas. Oh and if you get yourself more than a mile off course, will send you a text to your RALLY COMP via Iridium satellite.

ENDURO COMP was developed for UTV and motorcycle racers who require more challenge and adventure in a safer environment than following the “Same Clapped Out Roads Everytime”.

SAFARI-VENTURE- $1,150
    +$450 per additional rider/ driver

[​IMG]
    SAFARI-VENTURE is a Non-Competitive, semi-guided off road & overland adventure rally for UTV’s SUV’s, trucks and motorbikes using RALLY COMP and GPS tracks riding and driving, un-scored, on majority of same routes following Rally Enduro stages. Up to 4 participants per entry. Takes place simultaneously on portions of daily rally stages.

Safari-Venture is open to:
    Adventure Motorbikes
    UTVs
    SUVs
    Trucks
    Dual Sport Motorbikes

Hotel Hold Policy
    New for 2020 and included in with your paid entry, Baja Rally will “hold” and guarantee your hotel room (1 room per night double occupancy) for each of the nights during the Baja Rally. You must make this selection at the time of your order for payment and must include the name of the registered entrant. You must finish your own reservation anytime during the month of August because our reservation hold will lapse on September 1st. Therefore, you must contact the hotels and (or booking agent) and secure payment on your own behalf after August 1, 2020.

This hassle-free policy assures a level room rate for everyone who registers on time and give racers and teams a choice to opt in (or out) of hotel rooms whether they work with a booking agent or directly with the hotels.

Relaxed Refund Policy
    The new policy defines 3 time periods in which racers who withdrawal their entries will receive refunds up to 30%- 80% of their deposits. This relaxed policy has replaced prior terms where some withdrawing racers had forfeited most or all of their deposits. All of those racers have been identified and will be given a 1-time credit equal to 50% of 2020 entry fees.

50% Deposit due with application
    (Credit Card, PayPal, Bank Check or wire)

Refundable 80% before March 1
    Refundable 50% until May 1
    Refundable 30% until August 1
    No refunds after August 1

Full Pay Option:
    Refundable 100% until August 1
    No refunds after Aug 1
    BAJA RALLY ENTRY FORM.png

wrk2surf likes this.
  2. BAJA RALLY

BAJA RALLY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Entering A New Era for the Organization
    We're enthusiastic about the opportunity to parlay a 7 year track record into the next decade by combining new innovations for safety and adventure with a seasoned staff, and rally-race infrastructure.

General Director Mauricio Parra began his rally career by waving the green flag of Stage 1 of the inaugural Baja Rally (2013) as a rep for the City of Ensenada and has since lead the legal administrative development of event to be recognized and endorsed by municipal, state and federal governments of Mexico.

"2019 was our 7th rally and was to close to perfect," Parra explained, "It was a pure example of our teamwork-experience, everyone moving forward together to achieve one stage at a time, delivering another safe, but adrenaline packed event to our racers and their teams."

Race Director Victor Orellena, who works directly with Rally Comp to officiate the timing, scoring and rulebook for Baja Rally, chimed in with his own outlook for 2020.

"We're carrying momentum forward into 2020 to give and share more of what we do well." Orellana added, "We've expanded our work with Mike Johnson at Rally Comp to get more people into this sport. "Enduro-Comp is a completely new way to race and levels the playing field. Everyone is on the same course with nobody having outright advantage of pre-running, and everyone will get lost a few times. This will be a true test of ability for competitors from the traditional off road racing arena and also a gateway to 'rally-raid' as they will get to race through areas that border exclusive to Baja Rally Competitors.”

Baja Rally founder and stage builder Scotty Bloom says they started the rally in 2013 out of a challenge and the opportunity to solve some of the unnecessary risks inherent to Baja 500 and Baja 1000 he observed as a racer and journalist. He said they expected it to catch on fast.

"I imagined the rally would be a lot 'bigger' by now. A bigger field with more sponsorship and a lot more flash. It turns out we are pretty blessed that it didn't blow up into a flash in the night. Instead, Baja Rally's been built slowly and quietly, fortified with relationships and a base of racer-clients who know us for what we're great at: building the best stage routes you can ever race in Baja, California with a our safety team is best in class." So, instead of being an instant raving success, we have steadily established Baja Rally's reputation for the long haul with a proven template and the capacity to triple in size."
    wrk2surf and Yellow Pig like this.
  3. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bajadad Race Prep will be offering support packages again this year.
    Fly and Ride
    Support only
    Malle Moto
    we can also Build you a race bike or Prep yours
    Details to follow
    KKeltner likes this.
  4. BAJA RALLY

BAJA RALLY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 2.17.45 PM.png
    wrk2surf likes this.
  5. BAJA RALLY

BAJA RALLY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BAJA RALLY Will Proceed As Planned; New Payment Policy & Terms Enacted
    The organizers of BAJA RALLY Powered by Rally Comp have announced the 2020 edition of Baja California's only rally-raid competition will proceed as planned September 28 - October 3. Despite ongoing global travel restrictions caused by Corona Virus Disease (Covid-19) that could continue indefinitely, there are no plans to postpone or cancel the longest running rally in Mexico. now in the eighth consecutive year of operations.
    AX3A5506.jpg
    BAJA RALLY founder Scotty Bloom declared his team had decided unanimously to continue planning the 2020 edition indefinitely for a variety of reasons but also cautioned the need to re-assess the situation monthly through July 31.

"We recognize the severity of the pandemic and the global impact the disease has had across numerous industries", Bloom explained, "But we also favor continuity of our race and giving our racing clients the choice to continue planning without additional financial risks."

Entries and payments received after March 1, 2020 will follow a new set of terms that guarantee 100% refunds of deposits payments up until August 1, 2020, approximately 2 months prior to the BAJA RALLY. Duly entered competitors will have the option to withdrawal from the event FOR ANY REASON without losing their deposit or payment.

"There are a number of scenarios that our rally could be canceled by forces beyond our control such as a government mandate", Bloom continued, "But as long as we are deciding, we are 100% moving forward right now and giving new entrants a guarantee of a full refund until August 1."
    AX3A6195.jpg
    Competitors who have previously entered the 2020 BAJA RALLY prior to March 1, 2020 will adhere to the payment policy and refund terms in place at the time their entries were submitted. All new entries will have a 100% guarantee to withdrawal for any reason up until August 1.

Bloom finished by reinforcing BAJA RALLY's need to balance health and safety concerns for the general public with the concerns of rally racers who have few, if any, other alternatives left in 2020 to compete in a legitimate rally in North America.

"BAJA RALLY is the only rally-raid competition left in North America and we will move forward with planning as long as it is legally possible. From a moral and ethical standpoint, our racing clients and sponsors can decide what is best for them and their families."

ABOUT BAJA RALLY
    Now in it's 8th consecutive year of operations, BAJA RALLY was the first navigation-based rally-raid competition for motorcycles and UTV's to take place in the Mexican State of Baja California. Following secret, unmarked courses of off road tracks averaging 300KM each, racers spend 5 days competing in stages to arrive at different locations each afternoon. Each competitive stage is timed and the racers with the lowest elapsed time after 5 days is deemed the winner of their respective category. For more information on Baja Rally visit www.bajarallymoto.com.
    wrk2surf likes this.
  6. Scotty Breauxman

Scotty Breauxman Baja Breaux

Oddometer:
    ENDUROCOMP.png
    ENDURO COMP Explained (see ENDURO COMP Category on the website)

Attention Inmates:
    Enduro Comp is something new, a hybrid discipline mixing the best parts of off road racing with the best parts of roadbook navigation.
    Faster speeds, just as safe and less information processing on the fly. EC still gives us the chance to make navigation errors and capitalize on opportunities when other pilots make little errors.

Using the RALLY COMP system (which is always included in your BAJA RALLY entry fee) we will allow a limited number of racers to run the exact same stage routes as the RALLY-RAID pilots but with the following, material differences:

Departing Special Stages at 12:00PM Noon everyday, 5 hours after the Rally Raid category begins racing
    No road books
    No GPS tracks
    No Pre-Running
    No Course Markings

Instead, ENDURO COMP competitors will simply use the RALLY COMP device with data files specifically written differently with "open arrow" WPE and audible buzzer-beeps signaling the racer to look down at the RCV unit prior to notable events (notations) such as, intersections, hazards, forks, speed zones, etc. ENDURO COMP racers also have the benefit of seeing (in most cases) the fresh tracks and roost marks 4 dozen rally-raid racers left behind a few hours earlier.

You will start the stage just like the Rally Raid category and begin on a TDSPP track. As you approach the first "event" (a fork in the road, for example) you'll get 3 beeps as a signal to look down at your Rally Comp. The arrow will move slightly, pointing (for example) to the right. As you look up at the track again you'll see (for example) the upcoming fork in the road and you'll take the right and keep your eyes on the track. 50-100 yards after the fork you'll get another audible beep and look down at the RC again. You should see an arrow pointing straight ahead and numeric distance counting down to the next event (1.57, for example). Then you (most of you) will twist the throttle wide open and continue racing TDSPP, basically unconcerned with what's coming up next. The buzzer will prompt you appropriately before the next event, let's say it's a !!! triple hazard hole in the ground WPS. You'll get the normal 5 beeps 50-150 meters before the hole (depending on the expected speed of the the terrain) like a normal WPS that you're used to.

Audible beeps are your cue to back off the throttle and look down at the Rally Comp going into an event. At the exit of an event, the audible beep is your cue to check the arrow and resume race speed.

The essential point to make here is there is far less information to process, you don't need to keep your mileage/odo, cap heading is irrelevant and you can simply race the stage at your own pace. Less info to process may be a good thing for you. Maybe not.

We have tested and refined this new system for 2 years first with our moto medic teams in trials during the BAJA RALLY and then in a real race simulation settings. We are ready to roll it out and expect it to take 2-3 years to fully materialize.

When trying to explain this "new" option to existing "off road" racers and it isn't resonating. That makes sense because they scratch their heads and say: "What do you mean, you expect me to go out and race through the Baja deserts without course markings or GPS? WTF?"

Answer is "Yes"

If you're still reading this you're likely a road book rally racer or fan (or you just have a lot of extra time on your hands)

When I first caught the road book bug, it was a milestone for me...I fell in love with the chance to be relatively competitive when that option was off the table in SCORE, BITD etc. I thought of creating a real rally race in Mexico and have since written 37 competitive stages totaling 8095 KM over 30 days for 300 starters since 2013. I am a believer in the rally religion.

When I completed the first ENDURO COMP stages, I was surprised at how fun it was (even on my own stages). I wanted to share it with you.

So I invited a few friends over (thanks to help from Rally Comp) and I followed them as they ran a 60KM stage with just the Rally Comp mounted on their bars with Ram Mounts. It was exciting to see them succeed (and also fail) as they went through the forks, turns, hazards and HP sections. The best part for me though was seeing them at the end of the stage and hearing how much fun it was, perhaps more fun than reaching the end of a roadbook stage.

The last thing I should explain is the Pavlovian response aspect of the audible beep at the exit of events. It is unique to ENDURO COMP. 3 beeps at the exit is a green light to "twist it". Five beeps before a hazard is a yellow light to "back off". Before you reach the end of your first EC stage, you'll be conditioned to know the difference and it will be come second nature.

To date, I've only had 6 testers of various skills try the ENDURO COMP stages in Rosarito and El Rosario. Our team at BR is very optimistic about the prospects of sharing more of these stages we work so hard to create with more participants, new and old.
  7. patek_ambassador

patek_ambassador Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just read the Baja 1000 was postponed to November -- any truth to this?
  8. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    The SCORE Baja 1000 is normally held in November. The NORRA Mexican 1000 was postponed to October.

This is the Baja Rally thread - a Rally Raid type event - different than either of those.
    wrk2surf likes this.
  9. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I think endure-comp sounds really cool. It would save the costs of all the road book and navigation equipment and still get the "rally raid" flavor and actually race at the same time. Now I need to figure out how to pay for it.
    KKeltner likes this.
  10. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    I agree, the Rally-Comp sounds amazing. 5 days Rally-Comp could be worth the 6,000 mile round trip
    KKeltner likes this.
  11. NVTS

NVTS Arrivee Secteur Special Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any inmates planning on attending?
  12. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Still on the fence. None of my riding buddies has risen to the bait and I can't see getting there, racing and getting back solo happening. I'm looking to do an endurance event before I turn 60 and the Enduro-Cpmp category appears to be the most user friendly. I don't shy away from navigation, but late starts and only having to worry about me and the bike is appealing.

The sadist in me wants to do it on the Super Enduro but it would be the senior EC on a 300TPI. What category would you race? Rally Raid? EC?
  13. NVTS

Oddometer:
    Enduro Comp for sure on a rental bike. It's too far for my time constraints to drive out from the east coast with my Husky 501. I spoke to Scotty B yesterday and am convinced that Enduro Comp is a terrific way for me to sample Rally Raid before plunging headlong into roadbook nav. And like you, I'm after an endurance race experience.
    NVTS
  14. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Now that's an interesting option. Who are you renting from?
  15. NVTS

Oddometer:
    I spoke at length with Baja Dad. I have full confidence in his bikes and service.

It turns out, our kids school schedule was impacted by Covid and now I have to retract my intent to participate in Baja Rally 2020. Bummed is an understatement.
    NVTS
  16. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the 2020 BR still happening given the current situation?
  17. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the event can still happen, such a sucky year for everyone. I think the sadist would be on the 300. The SE is the way to go on this event. Of course just another old guys opinion :)
  18. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Having not done it before, I'm not sure about dealing with lots of sand on the SE. I also thought I saw something about larger bikes being invitational or???
    The TPI 300 is a dream machine. Has a fairly plush setup and the fatigue factor is low.
  19. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    That 300 better have some range..
  20. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    It shouldn't be it you're using that twisty thingamajig that's on the right side of the handle bar.

Joking aside, do you have any prior racing experience with your big SE?