2020 Barlow or Bust....X 2!

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's right ADVers, Barlow is so good that we're gonna do it twice again this year!
    [​IMG]

Thursday through Monday, May 14 - 18, 2020,
    AND,...Memorial Day weekend, Thursday - Monday, May 21 - 25, 2020

This worked out very well last year :nod, riders came and went when they could, and camp never got too full. I'll be camped there all the days listed, then I'm going to work the 2 days in between:(. But y'all can stay, come, or go all week if you want, no problem. The camp concessionaires often don't begin charging camp fees,...or cleaning the toilet :bluduh, until Memorial weekend. But you never know and camping fees are cheap when we share.

The Barlow Toll Road was created in 1846 as a private venture toll road alternative to the dangerous & expensive way of travelling by boat/raft on the mighty Columbia River to get to their goal in the fertile Willamette Valley. Those travelling overland on the Barlow Toll Road were known to sport 'Barlow or Bust" signs like the gold rushers did. The name kinda stuck for us ADVers 174 years later.

But the BEST part about this old Barlow wagon road is...we get to RIDE it today. There is an original 32 mile section of this old beat-up wagon road that is still ride/drive-able by street legal plated vehicles today, and we're gonna camp in the midle of it! Most of the rest of the Barlow Toll Road has been mostly overcome by farms and lush forest many many decades ago, but besides this 32 mile section, Barlow Road's deep scars still remain all through the forest, all the way to ZigZag, if you go look for them.

This old Barlow wagon road is still in really bad (GOOD!) original wagon road condition, and has really not been improved at all in 170 years, unless you call the water diversion bars built across the road 'improvements'. We call them jumps. Most 4 wheeled vehicles travel this dirt only road today at 5-10 miles an hour max because it's so nasty, and there's very few 4-wheeled rigs out there. That means that we 2-wheeled ADVers usually have this great old bad road completely to ourselves and it becomes our ADV racetrack for the weekend!

Barlow Road quickly becomes most riders' FAVORITE dual-sport road for pure fun and skill building at reasonable speeds kept down by the skinny bad road with LOTSA turns and fun abrupt elevation changes. It's really pretty easy for anybody to ride on any bike, there's nothing overly steep or technical onnit, but it's the kinda great bad road that if you want more challenge, just go 5-10 mph faster. You can feel really FAST, going only 20-30 mph on this beauty of a great bad road.

No shit, it's that cool to ride today.
    YOU should come to Barlow to camp & ride with us!

[​IMG]
  2. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Where:
    (edited)
    Camp Rules:
    *bring all your own water and food.
    *Good attitudes are key.
    *n00bs bring a bottle for the table, and somebody bring a bag of Red Solo Cup Shot cups, and we'll be set for passing it around the campfire in little cups.

We will pick these campsites based on availability. Look for my big yellow Apple Jam box van. You can't miss it, I promise. These are dispersed camping spots with NO services or toilet. Bring your own toilet or bring a shovel. Do NOT leave it visible to others, have some ADV class and bury it.
  3. brokeassloser

brokeassloser I'll do it!!!

Oddometer:
    Hay look I get to be first! Travel plans and a minor shoulder dislocation kept me out last year. So in!
    unclehoot and Apple Jam like this.
  4. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    IN for memorial weekend. Yusssssssssss
  5. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Hi @Apple Jam, This has been added to the calendar. I hope everyone has a blast.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  6. NEPAChuy

NEPAChuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll be in Moab...missing yet another one!
  7. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope to make part of it
    Apple Jam likes this.
  8. BlackHawkChief

BlackHawkChief Long timer

Oddometer:
    IN X2 tho one of the weekends I may slip away to ride china hat
    Apple Jam likes this.
  9. 12120

12120 Unwittingly Domesticated

Oddometer:
    I will try, again. I will still be on probation at the new job so won’t be asking for time off. Hoping for good scheduling.
  10. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    You had me at "2020 Bar..."
    GenuineSquid, Scott_PDX and Apple Jam like this.
  11. Dewey316

Dewey316 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try to make it this year, then I can ride with the old and slow guys.
    MikeFromMT and Apple Jam like this.
  12. Curtis76

Curtis76 Coug Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    @thirsty 1 ....hmmmmm. Whatya think??!! Let's head south Thirsty!
    Apple Jam likes this.
  13. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll have to clear it with the war department and I always have a good time riding with southerners! So .. tentative IN

14-18?
    Apple Jam likes this.
  14. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    I'm also going to try and make it this time around... hell, I might even have a bike in time that's suitable to both ride there and camp.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  15. unclehoot

unclehoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be at this one , hopefully it won't be canceled . I will show up on the 21st to the 25th and raise some hell . :clap
  16. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I plan on doing Barlow unless there is an outside reason we can't. Even if we need to dispersed camp further East-North towards Wamic as @matloik suggests.

Barlow or Bust, Muthafuggas!!!!
  17. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    The big bike finally made its way home on Saturday. Now I can actually ride up there, camp, and enjoy another excellent @Apple Jam tour of Barlow and Mt Hood.

I've since set it up with a diet and adding a few, key farkles.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  18. Corradokid135

Corradokid135 I now ride one of those orange things Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless something out of my control keeps me from being there I as well plan to be there for Memorial Day weekend. :-)
  19. unclehoot

unclehoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just talked to Rick and We will be showing up on Tuesday the 19th . AJ if we have to disperse to another camp site You will have to tell the dumb F@ck's let Me where it's at cause You are My scout and know where every thing is . After all it's Your backyard .
  20. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I'll keep y'all informed. At this point I see no reason to change anything, at least until I see what the next month or so brings.

Get out and ride. Keep your helmet closed.
    BobcatSig and unclehoot like this.