2020 Berkshire Big Adventure May 16th to 17th 2020 Colebrook, CT

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Boianovich, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    Updates will be added to end of the original post and noted at the beginning of the thread

UPDATES:
    02/14/2020: Thread created
    02/28/2020: Updated ride descriptions, reduced entry and park/camp fees
    03/01/2020 Registration Open and Website published - added Group W Fun Ride link
    02/28/2020: Added Covid-19 statement

04/11/2020: Added BBA Canceled statement
    04/16/2020: Refunds have been processed. We're looking into doing at least a one day BBA in September the same weekend we run the Triple B

On April 10th, governor Ned Lamont extended the mandatory shutdown to May 20th. We are looking at doing a ONE DAY BBA on September 20th 2020 which is the same day as the Triple B.

The skills Clinic is also canceled, we may do smaller one day clinics during the summer

Refunds will be processed through PayPal

Hope you all are safe and look forward to riding again with you soon

2020 BBA Registration and Website

NEW for 2020: ADV dirt rider skills clinic May 14th and 15th
    NEW for 2020: Group W Fun Ride (Mid Bike Dual Sport Ride)

2020 BBA Sponsors:
    We're proud to announce that Norbrook Farm Brewery in Colebrook, CT will again be the feature brewer in the BerksBerg Bier Garden

Check out Highway Dirt Bikes website and show them some love. I've broken more hand guards than I care to admit. HDB's Ultimate Hand Guards are the only guards I haven't destroyed. Last years pre-ride I went down hard on the 950 and HDB's hand guards saved be a broken hand. They take it over the top with the integrated mirror. That they replace broken glass just for shipping is the gold standard in customer service. I think I'm up to 6 or 7 in three years...

Online Registration Opens March 1, 2020

$50 Per day to ride Saturday and Sunday ($65 per day after April 27)
    $10 per person to camp/park vehicle for weekend

Bunk Houses (two) includes Common Kitchen and Full Bath
    $20 per night for single bed in bunkhouses – 18 beds total – first come first served
    $25 per night for an upper and lower bunk – 26 beds total – first come first served

Included in your entry fee:
    Bar-b-Que dinner Friday night
    Sit-down dinner Saturday night provided by the Colebrook, CT Volunteer Fire Department
    Camping at start area with bathrooms and hot showers
    Bonfire Friday and Saturday night
    Private campfires permitted
    BerksBerg Bier Garden is TBD (working on insurance...)

Available for Purchase on site:

Saturday and Sunday breakfast provided by local boys and girls club

BBAC 2019 was an amazing success. We listened to your feedback and are making some changes for 2020:
    • GPS routes will be broken up into sections to avoid the confusion of crossing tracks
    • We're offering an affordable beginner/novice ADV dirt riding clinics instructed by local Big Bike dirt riders Thursday and Friday
    • We'll have more arrowed Hero sections on the property for riders to get a feel for what's in store
    • On-line registration will have an option for riders to list if they are solo and looking to join a group. As well as groups willing to add solo riders
    Unfortunately we do have to address Bobriwka's concern about loud bikes and Brapping around the property
    Bobriwka was happy to offer the facility for the 2020 BBAC BUT he was concerned about the riders not respecting the driveway and the soft grassy areas. He also expressed concern with the couple of loud bikes brapping around the property. He didn't have an issue with ripping around the arrowed trails and encourages us to take advantage of riding them.

He wanted us to require stock exhaust on all bikes
    After some negotiating we settled on the following compromises
    1. We're asking riders to use the stock or quieter exhaust if they have that option
    2. If you know or think you have a loud bike we ask that you re-pack your silencer prior to the event
    3. Ride slow and low. If your bike is loud, but we don't hear it, we'll never know...
    4. We did have to agree to go so far as to deny entry and ask the rider to leave the property if they do hole shots, rip up grass or driveway areas or have excessively loud bikes
    We plan on using this facility for years to come and need your help to make this happen

The BBAC is a two day, GPS routed, three ride event designed for Adventure bikes (i.e. GS 800/1200, KTM 990, etc) and Dual Sport thumpers (i.e. "Mid Bikes" such as DR 650, DRZ 400, WR250R, etc).

The three rides offered are:
    Explorer Route: 180ish mile scenic loop with pavement and dirt roads designed for ADV Bikes and beginner dirt riders
    This route may or may not have optional Hero II or harder sections
    The route will be the same for both days

Big Bike Adventure Route (BBA): The traditional BBA main route is Hero I and II unimproved dirt roads with optional III to IV Hero sections along the route
    The route will be different each day

Group W Fun Ride (aka: Mid Bike Dual Sport Ride): This is a Dual Sport ride designed with Mid sized Bikes in mind
    Fear not Big Bikers, GS's and the likes should be able to complete 70+% of the ride
    This route is comprised of some of the best hero section the Berkshires has to offer and is designed to have a higher completion rate than the Triple B or other typical NETRA Dual Sport rides
    The route is continuous hero sections (up to Hero V may be encountered) broken up with as few slab sections as possible
    There will be minimal bypass options routed as the use of GPS allows riders to find the best way around the harder sections

Team Work Makes the Dream Work
    We are again providing GPX (GPS eXchange format) to participants for navigation
    We encourage rider teams of four, not to exceed eight, with at least one of those riders being GPS savvy

A Note About Sweep Riders

As with BBAC 2019, we have limited sweep crews to cover the 500+ miles per day, thus the emphasis on team work
    Do not expect a sweep rider to show up and render assistance, that is what your team is for
    Sweep riders are there to help prepared riders and bikes. They are not there to extract a bike with worn tires or poorly maintained bikes

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Are knobby tires required?
    Knobbies are not required but strongly encouraged. See above​
    How do I register
    Follow link at top of page to register Online​
    Can I register day of the event?
    Yes, Online registration will be open until Sunday 9:00AM
    The registration form is mobile app friendly and has been tested on iPhones, Android and a variety of tables​
    Will there be roll charts available?
    No, these are GPS only routes​
    Can I ride my two stroke?
    No. There are more than enough two stroke events on the NETRA calendar and very few Mid to Large bike events​
    Do I need Mass Environmental Police Registration (OHV registration) and why?
    Mass residents are required to have OHV registration
    Past BBA's did not use DCR property. Now that we do, we need to follow the OHV requirements
    Out of State residents are covered under our waiver​
    Do I need street registration, insurance and motorcycle endorsed license?
    Yes on all accounts​
    Will I be able to get a large motor home into the start area? How level is the camping area?
    Yes, a large motor home will fit but we have limited spaces
    A good portion of the property is flat with lots of room to maneuver, assuming the ground isn't saturated​
    What do you think about taking a 790 on the Challenge Route?
    The route is designed for this type of bike​
    What range do I need and is there a lunch stop?
    Gas stops are routed between 30 and 60 miles apart
    We do not have official lunch stops. Lunch can be found at or very near gas stops

1st Time Mass OHV Registration
    Mass OHV Registration Renewal
    Bobriwka Property
    2019 BBAC Forum
    DAREBEE.COM - A free fitness site with workouts even an old and cautious guy can do

UPDATE 02/28/2020: Covid-19 Statement
    Currently the event is still on. We will abide by local, state and federal mandates. We understand these are uncertain times and will do everything we can to provide a safe event for everyone
  2. PepperDog

PepperDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maine, somewhere between Lewiston and Fryeburg
    bump (for the benefit of the inmate asking about 2020 in the 2019 thread)
    @dhilt
  3. dhilt

dhilt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you!! Looking forward to this event again this year.
  4. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Thanks for directing folks this way Pepper Dog!

We had our winter banquet last night and there were some ideas kicked around that could bring this years BBA over the top.
  5. usdualsports

usdualsports Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun one to me. Plenty of riding for all skill levels and opportunities to hang out with like minded people.
  6. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    If you're free
    Thinking of a farthest traveled award, just saying
  7. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Last year was a hell of a time. A massive step up from the field with no facilities we used to stage out of. Food, beer, fire and plenty of room to lay down on, lick your wounds, pass out, wake up and do it all over again. Dave is on a mission to make it even better this year, and I know he will.
  8. usdualsports

usdualsports Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish. Now here in a few years once the 3 kids are out of the house and travel sports are done I will have more time to travel to events.
    Boianovich likes this.
  9. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Check out Marks "hobby"
    USDUalsport.com, a killer resource for all types of dirt riding events
    Rusty Rocket and usdualsports like this.
  10. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Getting close to launching the BBA webpage and registration and was wondering if anyone had a picture or two depicting the spirit of BBA 2019. Group shot or Hero section. Bon fires and beers...

I can also link to videos is anyone has a good edit.
    CaseyB likes this.
  11. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Thank You Nir-ISR for the Videos

As most of you already know, this is not your typical ADV ride comprised of miles and miles of easy dirt/sand roads with a couple of moderate hero sections. This is a sustained technically challenging ride where the main route is Hero II and the options go up from there. One doesn't have to be an A rider, we just have to bring our A game and work each section as it comes. We specifically do not mark hazards unless they are dangerous. It's an adventure ride and part of the challenge is evaluating what's in front of us and making decisions for our selves.

This is Saturdays BBA Route. Sorry about the rail road crossing, it was there when the section was pre-ridden.
    We're going to do everything we can to eliminate the long transport section in the middle of the day. The "plan" is to keep those section under 20 miles but it doesn't always work out that way.

Enjoy the video and the BigMango cameo. Hopefully we can convince him to lead a group on the Group W Fun Ride (Mid Bike Dual Sport Route)

12. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Wow, I've been away too long. I only recognized a few spots in that video. Looked like a blast.

I did recognize some water bars that I helped install in that last 1/2 mile on the video.
  13. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Guess you need to come up and ride it again :clap
    Ritalin Boy and Rusty Rocket like this.
  14. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    OP Updated
    Registration Open
    FAQ updated
  15. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Did a little pre-riding up at the property yesterday.
    The folks that own the camp are freaking awesome. They cut in close to three miles of trail over the past couple of weekends.

IMG_20200229_122514758.jpg IMG_20200229_122506618.jpg
  16. dhilt

dhilt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Registered! See you all soon.
  17. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    In for the full pull

Edited for my mistake. Above still holds true :thumbup
  18. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Clinic is $150
    Event is $100
  19. lonsomecrow

lonsomecrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    will there be too much road / pavement for 2 stroke 200cc ?
  20. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Yes and this event has always been promoted as no 2 strokes
    The club discusses this every year when we talk about the years events and it always gets voted down

Our club meeting is this Thursday, I'll bring it up again and see what happens
    lonsomecrow likes this.