2020 Berkshire Triple B & Berkshire Big Adventure 9/19-9/20

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Boianovich, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    Updates will be added to end of the original post

UPDATES:
    08/11/2020 BBA and Triple B combined weekend registration opens
    09/15/2020 Update on food and files see post #73

To help facilitate a quick check-in, please have mobile or printed PayPal receipt ready when you pull up to the gate

2020 Triple B and BBA Website and Registration

$35 Per day (Saturday and Sunday)
    $10 per person to camp/park vehicle for weekend
    Non-riders must also register and sign the AMA electronic waiver

2020 BBA T-shirts and Swag

Camping opens Friday September 18 at 3:00PM
    82 Fritz Rd., Colebrook, CT

One good thing to come form this challenging year, is the first ever, Berkshire Trail Riders Triple B and BBA combined weekend

Unfortunately we can't offer free beer or dinner on site, as we did with last years BBA
    But we can offer, 6 different rides in two days!

Rides listed in order of easiest to hardest and type of navigation used:
    BBA Explorer, Saturday and Sunday, GPX
    BBA, Saturday, GPX
    BBA, Sunday, GPX
    BBA Dual Sport, Sunday, GPX
    Triple B Dual Sport, Saturday, Roll Chart
    Triple B, Sunday, Roll Chart

The BBA format will stay the same as it did for the 2019 BBAC with all rides being GPX with no sweepers

The Triple B Turkey Run (Sunday) is a traditional Roll Chart and arrowed ride with the addition of a classic Dual Sport ride on Saturday

Unfortunately we do have to address Bobriwka's concern about loud bikes and Brapping around the property
    Bobriwka was happy to offer the facility for the 2020 BBAC BUT he was concerned about the riders not respecting the driveway and the soft grassy areas. He also expressed concern with the couple of loud bikes brapping around the property. He didn't have an issue with ripping around the arrowed trails and encourages us to take advantage of riding them.

He wanted us to require stock exhaust on all bikes
    After some negotiating we settled on the following compromises
    1. We're asking riders to use the stock or quieter exhaust if they have that option
    2. If you know or think you have a loud bike we ask that you re-pack your silencer prior to the event
    3. Ride slow and low. If your bike is loud, but we don't hear it, we'll never know...
    4. We did have to agree to go so far as to deny entry and ask the rider to leave the property if they do hole shots, rip up grass or driveway areas or have excessively loud bikes
    We plan on using this facility for years to come and need your help to make this happen

**Most the information below pertains to the BBA as the Triple B is, well, the Triple B. (Choice single track built by some of the most sadistic riders out there) We did cap their enthusiasm with Saturday Dual Sport ride and I've been assured, most riders will be able to finish it...

BBAC 2019 was an amazing success. We listened to your feedback and are making some changes for 2020:
    • GPS routes will be broken up into sections to avoid the confusion of crossing tracks
    • More on-site trails have been added as well as a greater variety of difficulty. You can now ride the property to get a better idea of what level of difficulty you'd like to tackle
    • On-line registration will have an option for riders to list if they are solo and looking to join a group. As well as groups willing to add solo riders

The BBA is a two day, GPS routed, three ride event designed for Adventure bikes (i.e. GS 800/1200, KTM 990, etc) and Dual Sport thumpers (i.e. "Mid Bikes" such as DR 650, DRZ 400, WR250R, etc).

The three rides offered are:
    Explorer Route: 180ish mile scenic loop with pavement and dirt roads designed for ADV Bikes and beginner dirt riders
    This route may or may not have optional Hero II or harder sections
    The route will be the same for both days

Big Bike Adventure Route (BBA): The traditional BBA main route is Hero I and II unimproved dirt roads with optional III to IV Hero sections along the route
    The route will be different each day

BBA Dual Sport Ride (aka: Mid Bike Dual Sport Ride): This is a Dual Sport ride designed with Mid sized Bikes in mind
    Fear not Big Bikers, GS's and the likes should be able to complete 70+% of the ride
    This route is comprised of some of the best hero section the Berkshires has to offer and is designed to have a higher completion rate than the Triple B or other typical NETRA Dual Sport rides
    The route is continuous hero sections (up to Hero V may be encountered) broken up with as few slab sections as possible
    There will be minimal bypass options routed as the use of GPS allows riders to find the best way around the harder sections

Team Work Makes the Dream Work
    We are again providing GPX (GPS eXchange format) to participants for navigation
    We encourage rider teams of four, not to exceed eight, with at least one of those riders being GPS savvy

A Note About Sweep Riders

As with BBAC 2019, we have limited sweep crews to cover the 500+ miles per day, thus the emphasis on team work
    Do not expect a sweep rider to show up and render assistance, that is what your team is for
    Sweep riders are there to help prepared riders and bikes. They are not there to extract a bike with worn tires or poorly maintained bikes

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Are knobby tires required?
    Knobbies are not required but strongly encouraged. See above
    How do I register
    Follow link at top of page to register Online
    Can I register day of the event?
    Yes, Online registration will be open until Sunday 9:00AM
    The registration form is mobile app friendly and has been tested on iPhones, Android and a variety of tables
    Will there be roll charts available?
    No, these are GPS only routes (Triple B will have roll charts)
    Can I ride my two stroke?
    No. There are more than enough two stroke events on the NETRA calendar and very few Mid to Large bike events
    Do I need Mass Environmental Police Registration (OHV registration) and why? Mass residents are required to have OHV registration
    Past BBA's did not use DCR property. Now that we do, we need to follow the OHV requirements
    Out of State residents are covered under our waiver
    Do I need street registration, insurance and motorcycle endorsed license?
    Yes on all accounts
    Will I be able to get a large motor home into the start area? How level is the camping area?
    Yes, a large motor home will fit but we have limited spaces
    A good portion of the property is flat with lots of room to maneuver, assuming the ground isn't saturated
    What do you think about taking a 790 on the Challenge Route?
    The route is designed for this type of bike
    What range do I need and is there a lunch stop?
    Gas stops are routed between 30 and 60 miles apart
    We do not have official lunch stops. Lunch can be found at or very near gas stops

1st Time Mass OHV Registration
    Mass OHV Registration Renewal
    Bobriwka Property
    2019 BBAC Forum
    DAREBEE.COM - A free fitness site with workouts even an old and cautious guy can do
  2. NJDualsporter

NJDualsporter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellant!
    Nir-ISR likes this.
  3. guymanbro

guymanbro da Vermonster

Oddometer:
    Yes, please!
  4. cteunuch

cteunuch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Can't wait to finally check this event out
  5. mulderdog

mulderdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yay !!
  6. fluffdad

fluffdad Dual Spork Group W

Oddometer:
    Well if we must
  7. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Right now, it's looking like:
    Saturday, classic Dual Sport roll chart ride. classic BBA, Adventure GPX rides
    Sunday, classic Triple B rol chart, ADV, BBA (different route than Saturday) GPX rides

Depending on how hard Saturday's DS ride is, I may offer a more Mid Bike friendly DS ride. Something that's mostly doable on a large ADV bike and doable on a 450-650 size bike. GPX of course...
    BigMan73 and guymanbro like this.
  8. thegreatpumkin

thegreatpumkin Explorer

Oddometer:
    Ever so grateful you guys are able to pull this event together..... 7 of us attended last year and had a blast running. the Hero sections on Big Bikes... well, mostly a blast, a few areas were very tough and we paid for it in laughter and pain. Looking forward to September.
  9. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Thank You for the kind words. I hope to provide routes to challenge every level of mid to big bike riders. There are few enough events where an accomplished large displacement rider can go and be truly challenged. Small bike DS rides are a dime a dozen and us big bike enthusiast are either shunned or excluded due to size or just over the top difficulty.

NEAR is another event we can go to that puts us to the test while providing a high success rate. I missed it this year but I hear it was a winner as usual.
    cteunuch likes this.
  10. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I'm in on a quarter ton bike. No parking spot required. I cant wait.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  11. Hobbomock

Hobbomock I's wide open

Oddometer:
    In
  12. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    We appreciate the "early Risers" but registration is not open yet. We have to enable the form to see how the changes look but please DO NOT register if you find yourself at the JotForm Registration. We are also working on the AMA electronic waiver which will be the gateway to the registration. Hopefully we'll have it worked out within the week, but it's in the AMA's hands...
  13. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Will the start area be open 2 weeks prior to the event? I'll need to quarantine if I come. :photog
    Unhooked one and NJ-Bill like this.
  14. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    For you Rusty, we have a booth at MJ Tuckers reserved
    Rusty Rocket and Kahoona like this.
  15. Bigred460

Bigred460 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just get a test.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  16. Dr Bombay

Dr Bombay "When you get to a fork in the road, take it" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cambridge, MA., US & Montezuma, Costa Rica
    Tagged!
  17. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Well, we thought we were done clearing trails, but Mother Nature had different plans.

We had crews out Friday and Saturday and we hardly made a dent.
    Lost count of how many mile long sections took more than an hour to clear. We did add some amazing Dual Sport sections for Sunday. Assuming we get everything re-cleared, there's going to be more options, for more levels of rider abilities than any ride we've ever hosted.

Purch23 likes this.
  18. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Update: Registration opened
  19. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Coordinating two completely different types of rides, with different trail bosses, both using different route formats has been quite the adventure. Add into it a pandemic, a tropical storm and having to learn basic web page editing, the brain quickly gets overloaded. At least that's the excuse I'm using if the original post is confusing or appears like we're cramming 10 tons of shit into a 12oz can.

Sadly we aren't able to offer free beer or dinner on site but the verity and selection of difficulty levels will go a long way to making it up.

I hope Next year we'll hopefully be back to business as usual...

Keep it rubber side down and see you in 38 days :beer
    ADVRKD and NJ-Bill like this.
  20. cteunuch

cteunuch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All signed up for the Saturday Dual Sport ride, can't wait! Thanks you guys for getting this together!