1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Beta 250 Factory Kickstarter Binding

Discussion in 'Trials' started by t-dub, May 14, 2020.

1. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any guidance on this is really appreciated. I’ve been reading through some of the threads regarding this on trials central (hat tip lineaway) but still have not figured out what is going on.

We replaced the water pump seal and large crankcase gasket under warranty yesterday on my wife’s new bike. We tightened the cover in the order of bolts given by the service manual. We noticed that when the two bolts near the kickstarter are tight, it does not return by itself, but when loose it does. Trying to figure out where this binding is taking place.

If the case wasn’t putting binding pressure on the shaft before, why would it do so now? Anyway to check this?

We did remove the detent bolt on top And retightened with kickstarter halfway down. This was prior to noticing the two bolt loose/tight effect.

Since it is returning when the two cover bolts are loose, we were hoping that we would not have to reset the kickstarter shaft mechanism.

Any thoughts or help are greatly appreciated!
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The kickstarter is not seated properly anymore.
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    As in gears and spring since you touched the detent.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems to my poor memory that you can get one coil of the spring out of place and you end up 2-3 mm off. And it is frustrating.
  5. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply! You have a much greater depth of knowledge on this than I do so am trying to understand the mechanics of this.

Since this was happening prior to removing the detent and the kickstarter is stopping at the top (not rotating forward) is this a definite on the gears and spring needing a reset?

I actually used your kickstarter halfway down trick on my ‘19 300 Factory a few weeks ago when the detent bolt backed out on its own and it worked like a charm. I was hoping mine not needing a reset would carry over to this bike? Kickstarter works properly with the 2 case bolts loosened. Any thoughts from your experience as to why this would be? Does a tightened case cause an improperly set assembly to bind?
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well of course check the shifter too as it is right there. But I dought it is the shifter. You did look at the engine manual?
  7. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I haven’t installed the shifter-not following on this...

I have looked through the service manual. I hope once I get eyes on the mechanism it will make more sense how it properly goes together.
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    THE spot next to the shaft is were it can bind up.

Attached Files:

9. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks-I’ll take a look in an hour or so.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    So who is your dealer? Or too far away?
    DyrWolf and Norman Foley like this.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    SHIFTER LINKAGE
  12. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our dealer is Dan Larson with Mossy Rock in Big Timber, MT. He is great and expedited the parts to us so we could have it up and running.

The good news is once we removed the case, I saw that the inner part of the spring return lever on the shaft was out of the hole. I took it off and reset it and now the kickstarter is working perfect. We were so glad not to have to remove the clutch plates/basket to get to the assembly. It is also shifting fine. Thanks for all your help Lineaway!
    North ride, joe cool, Huzband and 7 others like this.
  13. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love happy endings.... Glad it worked out, and yes lineaway knows his stuff!
    Huzband, jonnyc21 and t-dub like this.
  14. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being I was at work, I read that he had already took it apart a second time. Better that it was just out of place. A tweaked spring is just irritating to slip into place. Glad it`s working like it should. I was amazed it needed a seal. I cannot recall doing a WP seal on a Beta except when doing a corroded case.
  15. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, a little surprising that a new bike had this leak, hopefully it is fixed for good now!
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  16. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We did an impromptu ride with a new member at our Owyhee Motorcycle Club Trials Park tonight and the oil looks like oil now even post ride!