2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Adventuresports Concept

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Nici, May 29, 2019.

1. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm holding out for the Africa Wing with it's 1833cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine .

It's not heavy enough yet for experienced off-road riders.

All show and no go.
  2. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    I'll be perfect for Erzberg, and Carls Diner!
    :jack
    muddy and rideforzen like this.
  3. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, there's an AT with an 18L tank. Not sure what is the problem with a version with bigger tank. It would be very appreciated by some people and you don't have to buy one if you don't like it.
    I'm not going to get into what off road is, not even getting close to what an off road bike is.
    But If you think the GS is a poser bike........ I'm sorry to be the one to tell you the AT is in the same boat, but in first class....with two tickets for more leg room.
    None of them were designed to be ridden off road further than the pictures for commercials.
    Maybe both of them are ridden mostly by posers, but that's not the bike's fault. I'd say it is about posers buying the marketing campaign for "Adventure" and their own delusion.

Enjoy your bike and what you do with it in the way you like it the most.

Cheers
  4. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Agreed
    Generally
    Small bikes, small tanks.

Big bikes, big tanks.

The AT 1100 could be like a regular land Cruiser.
  5. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  7. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    meh, a camel auxiliary on my 2017 bike and I'm away laughing
    Blaise W and slipknot like this.
  8. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i like the idea of morefuel but is was hoping for a mid sized at to come out (650-800) range under 500lbs dry with a 200-240 mile fuel range and the ability to handle most forest service roads well. had a 17 at dct didnt like how the abs worked and the rear pegs would hit the back of my legs when i had my feet down at a traffic light. near highways youll always find gas but when your not near an interstate just because you find a gas station doesnt mean its open so alittle more range does help even on the east coast. most of us head away from metro areas to ride.
  9. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    It just needs cruise control to me.....all the other stuff is fluff but I understand it’s “in demand/request” with the “engineers” around these parts. Anyway, either way, it’s getting bigger and time will tell how good that move is. What I find more interesting is if they do release it before the shows as some of the article suggests.......what is the headline bike Honda plans to show off at the shows?! Hmmmmm........:dunno:hmmmmm
    Blaise W likes this.
  10. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    The trouble with the new bike is exactly that, it is bigger.

I find my bike is too big as it is and I am a big boy!

Now that I have it, the cheapest thing for me to do is to keep it, not trade on a new bike and make the modifications for its short comings. And there are some. The rear shock is gone and replaced to fix the softness inherent in the factory spec, a camel tank is fitted to fix the range and eventually I will swap out the front forks to fix the internal wear issue. I have lots of miles to do before I need to do that.

I have fixed a number of other things to turn my bike into what I want it to be (seat, led lights, foot pegs, stronger rear bracket, lead on the battery for charging and jump starting etc).

And to be honest I would have to modify a new bike to make it fit me and my use, so the 2017 model I stick with.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that I have it, the cheapest thing for me to do is to keep it.
    I am in the same boat as you.Honestly after all the stuff i had to go through with this bike will never buy another honda.Now there having frame welding issues and fuel tank issues with the adventure models.My 2 year old honda generator quit generating and back to using my over 10 year old harbor freight one.I thought honda stuff was good but seems like there quality is getting bad.I will never buy another bike with showa suspension after this mess.
    twinrider likes this.
  12. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    The best money I spent was ditching the rear suspension. My goodness what a difference it made.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  13. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    This is the first new vehicle I have ever bought in my life. Not gonna chase a new carrot every year.
    Dale402, neanderthal, Pcfly and 2 others like this.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they'll make a bigger split between the ATAS type bike, with a larger engine and more electronics to compete on a more level platform with the GS type bikes; and then maybe roll out the rumored smaller twin - or just the play with the existing "normal" AT a bit. Price and weight wise for the manual model, the standard AT is very much playing in the 800cc class.
  15. xXxSilveradoxXx

xXxSilveradoxXx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where is the Africa Twin Enduro Sports, Honda?!

Honda-Africa-Twin-Enduro-Sports-Concept (2).jpg
  16. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Seriously?!?

Not that I was going to buy one, but when pretty much everything is already done, tooling wise ...
  17. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Anyway, with the bigger one coming, and the littler one coming, i'm quite content to keep my just right mama bear.
  18. Peke

Peke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what exactly?
  19. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    I put in ohlins with an over rated spring. I looked at Ohlins, Wilbur's and Nitron.

The real benefit is getting the suspension set up rated for your weight and riding preferences. Ohlins had the best range for setting preload and other adjustments as I ride single through to two up with luggage..
    Junglejeff1, Peke and plumer1kt like this.
  20. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Recent reports of 2020 Africa Twin 1100 are suggesting a decrease in weight from the standard AT's heft. Have the Japanese ever significantly decreased the weight in any new model year/slight re-design? While increasing engine size? Sounds like wishful thinking to me but I'd love to be proven wrong.