2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Adventuresports Concept

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Nici, May 29, 2019.

1. ridewv

ridewv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ninja's recent change from 300 to the more powerful and lighter 400? Versys 300x is based on the previous Ninja 300, a new torquier, lighter Versys 400x is appealing.
  2. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    they will install thinner fork coating to save the weight, and smaller pegs from a honda cub scooter:D
  3. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    More torque ,m power , bigger tank , cruise control , tubeless tires , Honda reliability . I think it's a GS killer , I really do . I think Honda listened to customers feedback and got it right this time !!! I think this one will sell like girl scout cookies ...
    CanineCombatives likes this.
  4. Jakebrake

Jakebrake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes if it has these features
  5. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pegs on the super cub are bigger than what comes on the AT.
    Junglejeff1 and lukasteam like this.
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Can't be a GS killer without shaft drive as many (most?) GS buyers won't buy a chain driven bike.
    craigincali, Janus9 and lukasteam like this.
  7. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love shaft drives , quiet , simple maintenance and bullet proof ... unless it's a beemer shaftie . You would think the smarter ones would compromise and say better chain than a cracked or leaky one somewhere in a middle of nowhere .
    neanderthal likes this.
  8. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    I meant like the cubs from the '70s. got to use up that left over stock!
  9. Nici

Nici Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a GS killer per se, but meant to compete in the big ADV sector (1290 KTM's, 1250 GS, 1300 Multi's, etc.). If Honda thinks there's money to be made in that market, they'll be there. So it'll need cruise, ride modes, electronic suspension, etc. A comfy alternative to sport touring rigs, not a single track, off-road basher.
  11. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah at that size, single track off-road basher is not its core design brief.
    Vrode likes this.
  12. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also, I would think they'd be considering tubeless tires on the big ADV. The big question is can they add enough to the AT package to be competitive, and still hit a price point. I'm guessing (hoping) they can do that.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  13. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    I bet the Ninja 400 weighs more, and the Versys 400x is still just a thread on ADVRider.com. My inevitable point is any larger Africa Twin is going to be heavier.
  14. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    First photos of the 2020 Africa Twin. 1100L IMG_5293.JPG
  15. MillennialFalcon

Oddometer:
    Is this a new Honda marketing scheme? At least they can deliver on this content, not so much on the "True Adventure" :csm
  16. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    I took the photos of those keys. I was on the shoot in Namibia with the bikes. The latest teaser videos out were shot on this shoot. I signed an NDA sadly. That's all I've got.

2 of of the 5 2020 bikes are there in this van under those sheets...

[​IMG]

For nearly 3 weeks the bikes were ridden hard and shot with a film crew. There was epic care taken with not letting Joe Public see them, but still, I am amazed not one photo of them exists on the internet.

Those keys are the first evidence of their existence.
  17. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hmmm, maybe a little harsh :csm
  18. MBM

MBM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, there will be an 800 after all. I hope it is substantially lighter than the 1000L, otherwise that would be a just as bad offroad bike, but now with even less power for onroad.
  19. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    I should have left it as it'd be a great red herring, but no, those correlated with the last three digits of the VIN numbers. That one was 008, not 800

All 5 bikes were the first few off the production line.
    Motorwerx and MBM like this.
  20. MillennialFalcon

Oddometer:
    You must be talking about the forks? :photog

Honda marketing hype around the Africa Twin was prolific. Yet people who aren't riding half as hard as in some of the marketing videos are having fork wear issues with zero warranty support from Honda. Thus the "True Adventure" is sorting the forks. Don't get me wrong I love the bike but it's definitely not up to the task it's marketing played up with forks that were shite on a 250 pound 1990s MX bike, that is it's only weakness IMO but far from insignificant. If I had a 2016 AT with forks untouched/unmitigated, I wouldn't trust riding any real adventure. I'm not telling anyone to cancel their road trip. Sure plenty of riders "haven't had problems", mostly street-dominant riders who don't even think to check for stiction much less the internal wear. And maybe the 2018+ and ATAS models are mitigated. It's all been gone over ad-nauseaum in the AT problem and suspension threads. Long story short: Honda has a reputation that failed plenty of ADVRiders who bought the first model year ATs. Hell even Ohlins forks are crapping out.

Honda enjoys the benefits of their reputation, let's hold them to the standard they've set throughout the years. So, will similar problems follow any new models? If the forks are still shite, it is what it is. But no need to sweep the existing issues under the rug. Know what you're getting into. Can we get a good look at the fork internals on these newest bikes? How about the frame welds? Fuel tank screens? :lol3 Poking fun aside, those are all serious issues...for instance I would never complain about corroded spokes unless it was causing me functional issues.