2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Adventuresports Concept

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Nici, May 29, 2019.

1. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bet new AT will use the SAME forks as current model!
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  2. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard any problems with Adventure Sports model forks ... maybe I missed something ...
  3. boomsling

boomsling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why would they make an already big bike even bigger?
  4. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    not sure why you are surprised about this?

It is, sadly, a familiar trend among vehicle manufacturers
  5. boomsling

boomsling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't kept up with the trends. It is sad.
  6. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    Nothings a GS killer other then the GS itself.

The shaft drive is great.....until it’s NOT. I thought it was hype but now after 10 years and 5 friends.....4 had expensive $2000+ in Final Drive problems (besides other expensive issues). Shaft drives are sales points to people who don’t destroy their bikes or have deep pockets that are willing to pay to fix them. Sorry, I’m sure that will offend someone and I’m sorry but I had a 2008 1200GS and logged over 55K on it. I rode it from one side of the country to the other and as much as I loved it......I’m soooo glad I got rid of it. I hope Honda builds ITS own bike and doesn’t chase nonsense.
    mb300 and lukasteam like this.
  7. lukasteam

Oddometer:
    Hear what you saying brother and really like the way you put it :lol3 .
    I think Honda doesn't chase imaginary adv crown . Honda just follows the path that the old Africa Twin RD03 , RD04 and RD07 layed . It worked back then and it seems to be working now .
    Pcfly likes this.
  8. kaertner

kaertner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a group of German colleagues that I ride with every year. In that group there a 5 GS bikes of various flavours. Some have been changed over the last 10 years from air to water cooled etc. None of them have ever had an issue with the shaft drive and some have covered over 80,000 kms.
  9. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  10. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can ask as many DR owners as you want, you will probably not find one with a broken 3rd gear. However, if you look for it on the internet, you will find plenty.
    It's about the amount of bikes sold and the ones who had the problem. I've had 3 GS's and never had any issue with the shaft.
    But I did proper maintenance and knew what I was riding, which is likely to be the reason for those shafts to break down.
    I know hundreds of gs owners and only one had a shaft failure. And as I know what happened, I can tell you the only problem with that bike was him.

If this is more about mocking people buying bmw because this is a honda thread, and honda HAS to win, I guess something like that could be said from any maker. Like this. ;)

@lukasteam , did you know the africa twin before it was an africa twin?

[​IMG]

Hope I didn't offend anybody with my late posts, but brand loyalty sounds like kind of mental isssue to me.
    Things are good only when they are good and I couldn't care less who made it or If I own it.
    This works exactly the same way in the opposite direction.
    4bikes and lithodave like this.
  11. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought the extra CCs were to offset emissions changes to keep the same power.

Edit to add: all the concept art flying around the web is annoying. I don't know what started this trend, but it's horrible and needs to die in a fire.
    Nihon Newbie and Bushyar15 like this.
  12. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I agree!

I read the same thing regarding the bump in displacement. The way I took the statement from honda, was that...... Even though it weighs more than the 1000, it weighs less. :lol3

(lbs per cc is less on the 1100 was their reasoning.)
  13. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    You’d expect nothing different because this is a Honda thread......and I’d expect nothing different if I was on a BMW thread. :dunno We all have our biases and it’s influenced by personal experiences, preferences and perspectives. I’m a big proponent of “ride what you like and I love that you ride”.:thumbup

Personally I like all brands and I can see why someone might pick one over another. I do know however what each has cost me in time and money. As mentioned as well, I enjoyed my BMW time and someday I can see myself with another one but.....I’ll Bring My Wallet and make friends with the mechanic.

As for this “new” AT 1100, I hope it’s good and I fully expect it to be an evolution of the current ATAS.
    Amphib likes this.
  14. lukasteam

Oddometer:
    @lukasteam , did you know the africa twin before it was an africa twin?

[​IMG]

QUOTE]
    Fine piece of Honda history . Wish I could lay my hands on it .
    I have RD04 marathon replica laying in the boxes in my garage : Dual marathon front gas tank , rear gas tank , motor with only 6k miles on it , superlaced Woody's wheels , Arrow Dakar exhaust , Boano triple trees , revalved resprung CRF450 front forks , Matador front fairing , original fairing , list goes on and on . I just have no time to put it together and what good does it do sitting in a boxes anyway . At this point seems like I will never get to it , what a shame ...
    pepebayeta likes this.
  15. Quercus petraea

Oddometer:
  16. slipknot

slipknot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should we be impressed with 49,000 miles on the same driveshaft? BMW owners seem to be, but I expect much more from a shaft. Some riders here will even change the shaft between 40 and 50 thousand miles as a precaution against failure. For myself that is unacceptable.
    BaldKnob likes this.
  17. kaertner

kaertner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who mentioned being "impressed"? What I said is that out of the many GS bikes my colleagues have owned, non have had an issue with the shaft, even up to 80,000 kms. That doesn't mean it's going to break at 80,001kms. They've never even mentioned the subject in the many, many trips we've made together. The vast, vast majority of BMWs using shaft drives have zero issues. Those changing shafts as a "precautionary" measure read too much internet nonsense and are wasting lots of their own money, a bit similar to those replacing half the bike before they've ridden it because they've "read" on the internet that the suspension, airbox, seat, wheels, skidplate etc , etc are rubbish from the factory. Quite funny to read and perfect fodder for the "3rd party" companies that prowl and prey on such people.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  18. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    lukasteam likes this.
  19. Quercus petraea

Oddometer:
    You can see the frame bolted (or seems to be) in the pictures. You also can see four front lights ONLY in the ATAS version.
  20. chris4652009

chris4652009 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Maybe to create a space for the revised Africa Twin CB500X and the rumored 800cc version?

just thinking out loud, and I'm pre coffee so could be way off