2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Astronutz

Astronutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here in the US we will not see the 2020 AT until March while in many parts of the world the bike is currently in the hands of new owners. With that being said, what are the initial impressions from those that actually own one? Quality? Problems or issues? etc...

I'm getting close to putting money down on a 2020 so it would be nice to hear what new owners think.
  2. GMCNC100

GMCNC100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m really interested in the 2020, but I’ll wait until at least next fall if not 2021. The initial crush will be hard on pricing. And I wish they had some color scheme in the US other than the red/white/blue (for the ES). But it checks off pretty much everything on my wish list cheaper and more reliably than a 1250 GS.
    greenmtndave likes this.
  3. Aviador

Aviador Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. Astronutz

Astronutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Aviador, that was another good first ride review but we really need to start hearing from folks that actually own the new 2020 AT. First ride impressions will be what they are but it's time to find out how the bike is stacking up in the real world with those that have shelved out the cash and have put some miles on this bike.

Come on owners, I know you're out there. Let's hear from ya!
  5. spriss

spriss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for starting this thread. I'm in the same boat and the new Africa Twin checks most of the boxes for a long range adventure bike. I'm looking forward to a test ride!
  6. staedtler

staedtler Adventure Raider

Oddometer:
    Same here
    Curious to hear how/if apple carplay used for navigation works/makes sense,..if its practical or not
    :hmmmmm
  7. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following.
  8. Astronutz

Astronutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just gonna have to keep bumping this thread until we start hearing from actual owners
    smalls78 likes this.
  9. rhicks

rhicks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the car it's pretty nice and for touring on the AT I think it's going to be a big win. I typically use Google Maps instead of Apple Maps but it gets you access to music, maps, and a few other select apps. I like that the 2020 model has the ability for me to leave my phone in a pocket (and tethered via cable to the outlet) or in a tank bag without it being out on the dash and possibly falling off. I assume you would navigate using the buttons on the left handlebar so there is no need for fingering the phone screen anymore. It doesn't appear that it supports Android Auto which leaves me scratching my head but maybe they'll include it before the US models start hitting the showrooms.

Chances are I'll be selling both my current bikes and getting a DCT ATAS ES. I love my Kawasaki and Honda bikes but this 2020 model has me foaming at the mouth really hard.
    staedtler likes this.
  10. Astronutz

Astronutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bump
  11. Different Spokes TV

Different Spokes TV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went to the bike show and sat on a CRF1100 (Not the Adventure Sports). My impression of it was a good one. It's a sweet looking bike that's not too big. I'm hoping that Honda comes out with an 850 that will be significantly lighter.

smalls78 likes this.
  12. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Curious in comparison to previous years do the ergonomics feel the same? Any drastic changes...seat to handlebar distance? Looks awesome! Thanks for posting.
    Different Spokes TV likes this.
  13. ZaethDekar

ZaethDekar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill be watching this thread. I currently have a 2002 ZX6R after having a Versys 650, and I do not like riding the sport bike.
  14. Different Spokes TV

Different Spokes TV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The new one feels a bit smaller but it's hard to tell as it's been months since I rode the 2019. Maybe it's just an illusion because the 2019 had a larger screen.
  15. hammerun

hammerun Secret Eleventh Commandment - never fear.

Oddometer:
    My main question is: can I swap my fantastic Ohlins suspension to CRF1100 from AT'16... If I can - I'm in!
    Wayward Gypsy likes this.
  16. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spent quite a bit of time with the 2020 ATAS ES at the Calgary Motorcycle Show last weekend. I got there early on Friday and Saturday when the show opened. My eagerness was driven by the fact I traded in my 2010 Honda VFR 1200 in September 2019 for the new 2020 ATAS so its been quite a wait so far and will be for at least another 3 months before you could reasonably ride in these parts. The best part on Friday was my dealer spotting me and saying a new regular Africa Twin had just shown up at the dealer that day and he thought mine would show up before the end of January. I guess I can farkle away some more during February and March.
    The bike was what I thought it would be based on all the material I had seen on the internet so I was pretty happy to hoist a leg over and just sit there to take it in. The 2019 model was just too tall for me (I'm 6 ft) so I was happy to more than flat foot the bike at the show as it had the low seat option installed which I won't need. The bike had all the OEM accessories I also ordered (see my sig below) and Dunlop had the new Trail Max Mission Adventures at their booth so I could see what I was replacing the OEM rubber with. The menus on the TFT screen are going to take some time to get familiar with as the options are a little overwhelming at first glance. All in all the ATAS had big crowds around it on both days as the show filled up. Some funny moments like the two guys with KTM jackets commenting loudly how ugly they thought the ATAS was. To each their own I guess but I thought, ummm you are on KTM's right? Definitely also an acquired taste as their look can be very polarizing as well. I really liked the look of the ATAS and even more so in person. Quite encouraged and now just waiting to actually ride it.
  17. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next on the list will be upper and lower protection bars and maybe a belly pan to replace the OEM for the 2020 ATAS. Looking at Outback Motortek, SW Mototech, and Altrider. Outback Motortek actually has a 2020 ATAS on hand and have started building their kit. Altrider still does not have a bike and think it may be as late as July before they have a kit. Don't know how far off SW Mototech are from delivering something.
  18. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. j-nic

j-nic n00b Supporter

Oddometer:

Finally a decent review of the “base” model. I’m really liking the look of this one the most
    toteman113, merc16 and slipknot like this.
  20. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    yep. Triple will be identical, and axle looks identical.
    Not 100% sure about the rear shock, but it's likely they kept the same points on the main frame, and added the bolt on sub frame
    windowto likes this.