2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Consider ALT rider for crash bars. Almost bullet proof, save for the shit paint. IMO, best/sturdiest mount points for crash bars.

I had a high side at about 45k km. Broke a turn signal. Very happy with the Altrider stuff.
    I had them powder coated by a friend, and they look great, and should hold up for ages.
    [​IMG]
    sirvelo likes this.
  2. staedtler

staedtler Adventure Raider

Oddometer:
    so, found this,... :*sip*
    owner complains about apple carplay not working if headset bluetooth out of battery...
    i would think pairing the headset off would allow the carplay to keep working? :hmmmmm

slipknot likes this.
  3. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya I watched this too. Refreshing candor around his belief he had soiled himself as he, the bike and the road began accumulating ice. I also wondered if the constant communication between his headset and Carplay had rapidly drained his headset battery? Page 188 of the 2020 ATAS User manual says - "To use Apple CarPlay a headset connection is necessary. If headset connection is broken due to headset battery depletion or communication failure, Apple CarPlay cannot be used until the connection is restored."
  4. staedtler

staedtler Adventure Raider

Oddometer:
    well, that's no good...:*sip*
  5. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    ALT Rider saying they believe they will have an ATAS 2020 protection kit for sale in Canada by April 2020.
  6. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    Got me to thinking too. I was going to rely on Apple CarPlay to get Google maps off my phone and dispense with my Garmin Zumo but think I'll hang onto it to see how this all plays out on long rides.
  7. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    Here is another video that addresses the Bluetooth headset and Apple CarPlay issue. The rider feels its a bit of safety overkill so we'll see if there is a software fix for this down the road. His comments on the topic are at the 14:12 - 15:27 minute mark.

8. GMCNC100

GMCNC100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think Honda figures without audio Apple Play is of very limited use - yes you can still see Google Maps and Apple Maps without the turn-by-turn directions, but virtually everything else requires audio. In cars, there’s never not an audio connection so it’s something Apple never had to consider.

Perhaps they’ll develop Apple Bike Play customized for motorcycles.
    sirvelo likes this.
  9. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    SO watched the videos and it isn't clear if this means Apple Car Play doesn't work AT ALL or you just can't tell it what to do. If you're navigating and your BT dies, does navigation stop? Or does that mean if you don't have BT you can't use maps at all?
  10. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    Based on manual CarPlay will not work without a BT connection. In the second video he suggests you could just throw some Apple Bluetooth AirPods in your pocket to maintain the Bluetooth connection which tells me you need Bluetooth signal active.
  11. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Just downloaded the manual and read that bit. I've used it in cars, and really like it, so am hoping it can work on the AT without causing issues. The specific thing I'm wondering is if I'm navigating somewhere, and my BT headset dies, does the map just stop working and it goes back to the dashboard, or does it keep working but I can't make changes, etc. I could see myself navigating through heavy traffic in an unfamiliar city and the map goes away and I've got to pull over, charge my headset, and wait until I'm charged enough to go. That would be fun.

The AirPods don't work unless they are in your ears, so in the pocket doesn't work. That said, I've got a couple of pairs (originals and the new noise canceling ones) so just need to see if they'd fit in my helmet... [And I just checked and they do, but get pulled out when I take off my helmet... first world problems!]

What I like about Apple CarPlay is it can work with other maps like Google Maps and Guru Maps Pro (which is what I usually use when I load in GPS tracks). In a car you have to connect the phone by USB for it to work, but of course you've got audio from the speakers.

It would be interesting to see if this is a Apple thing or a Honda thing. From looking through a quick search online, seems to be a CarPlay thing. So probably no way to get around it.
    sirvelo likes this.
  12. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If CarPlay works like it does in a car then Google Maps will be available along with Apple Maps. That’s a big deal to me because Google Maps allows multiple stop routing. You can create a multi stop route on your computer and send it to your phone. From there the route is available on CarPlay when you plug in the phone.
  13. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s a strange bit of logic. Almost defeats the purpose; I often use my GPS for visual guidance with my headset turned off.
    OneAUout likes this.
  14. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    So check this out. Day two of his trip and his headset is not on but the maps are working! See 10 min mark.
  15. waterloojay

waterloojay 2020 Africa Twin AS

Oddometer:
    Sirvelo, keep your Zumo. I came from a 2018 Wing with the CarPlay feature. Road for two seasons with trying different GPS apps on the iPhone. Google maps, Waze, Sygic and Apple maps are great for A to B routing but that‘s where they stop.
    My 2020 AT AS arrived on Friday and I purchased a new Zumo 595 for true routing of routes.

If this CarPlay is the same as on the Wing, which I don’t see why it would be different. You will need a live Bluetooth headset to operate. My 2 helmets both have Sena’s that will last over 10 hrs on a full charge.
    I also have a older Sena Bluetooth head that I will keep in the tank in case my helmet Bluetooth dies.

For those hoping for Google to get into the motorcycle CarPlay game. They already informed Honda that’s not going to happen. Many Goldwing owners are pissed about this.

enjoy your new ride
    sirvelo likes this.
  16. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight waterloojay. My 2020 ATAS also arrived Friday. I spent some time with it at the dealer Sat while everything else gets installed. I also have Sena on my helmet so will heed your advice.
  17. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    So (the question I won't let die) do Maps or whatever app you're running navigation on just quit when your BT headset dies? Or does it continue and you just can't operate it further?
  18. waterloojay

waterloojay 2020 Africa Twin AS

Oddometer:
    from my 2 yrs of experience using the Honda Goldwing Apple CarPlay. No Bluetooth no CarPlay.
  19. Astronutz

Astronutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK...we're gaining traction here...BIG thanks to all who are starting to give us some real world insight into this new machine. Good stuff. Keep it coming!!!
  20. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now i’m asking from my total ignorance... no chance you can use your own cell phone bluetooth? Or it should be from a headset?