2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    That's not a yes or no question; only you can decide.
  3. R J

R J n00b

Oddometer:
    I spoke to the dealer and they said the ATAS with manual trans isn't available, but the DCT is.

Anyone know what the story is?
    Grumpee likes this.
  4. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I preferred the more nimble feeling of the standard but the tubeless tires on the ATAS are a great feature and the extra range might come in handy in Canada.
    IdealPragmatist and Grumpee like this.
  5. Grumpee

Grumpee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tubes are a real turnoff for me, had a blow out on my Tiger 800 and and it was a pain in the ass to change road side!
    IdealPragmatist likes this.
  6. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Me too. I installed the Outex conversion kit after that happened to me.
  7. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Have any of you installed wider foot pegs? If yes, what have you installed?
  8. Grumpee

Grumpee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you satisfied with the Outex kit?
    rbsride365 likes this.
  9. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ones from the Honda accessories catalog. Less expensive than all the other options and they work great for me.
    2on2off likes this.
  10. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Yes, no issues with the kit for the two years that I owned the bike.

Pivot Pegz

2on2off likes this.
  11. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    I forget exactly. They were 85$ options to revzilla. Xr650? Wish I would have done it the day I got the bike home instead of waiting two years. At the time I did it to hit the free shipping threshold in a wth ynot moment. Didn’t know what I was missing till I had them.
  12. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    If you have a preference wait for the bike you want. It’s worth it
    Grumpee likes this.
  13. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw Corbin has a seat now for the 1100. I'm still debating as I've stated before, but the Corbin seat could sway me. I love the vast amount of farkles available for the CRF1000, but honestly I think a good seat is my only need. It's a personal preference I guess.
  14. txfalls

txfalls n00b

Oddometer:
    Bike is looking really good! I just got a 2020 DCT standard myself about 2 weeks ago.

I ordered the rear rack as well, friend is powdercoating it matte black for me and hope to install this week.

Outback Motortek crash bars are on order, hopefully get them in a couple months.

How do you like the larger windshield? I am torn between that or the batzen adjuster (although not sure he is still producing?). Have you stood up offroad / hill climb with the taller screen yet? Concerned about possibly hitting the screen while leaning forward. I also just love the shorter look, but wind on highway, yeah.
  15. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    While riding with the windscreen at it's peak position, if I place my hands on the sides (palms facing forward), I get rid of the buffeting I'm experiencing at highway speeds. To me, this would indicate I would benefit from a wider screen. Does anybody have recommendations of something that I can get *now* that is slightly wider than stock?
  16. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the Standard Club. I'm having a blast riding it all over the place. Been taking "day rides" mostly to my local mountains with one trip to the coast. I'm currently at 1,200 miles. The power is great everywhere. My initial impression was that this bike is a "Torque Monster". It also pulls hard when passing cars and has a great sound with the stock muffler. I set my suspension compression to the softest setting and that is working well for me on road and off road. I'm about 185 lbs without gear.

I have used the taller Honda windscreen off road and it works well for me but my off road riding is much less aggressive than it was in past years. I'm riding in a more mellow way these days and staying away from the difficult off road trails. I'm riding more on graded dirt roads these days with some easy mountain trails mixed in. The taller windscreen is much better than the stock standard screen for the way I ride. I have always used the Vstream wind screens on my past bikes and like the way it handles the air. Had the Batzen adjuster on my 2016 Africa Twin and it worked very well. I have ridden standing up on some up hills and no problem hitting the windscreen. Just remember to turn off "wheelie control" before heading up hill in the dirt.
  17. AT Rick

AT Rick wanderlust is a thing

Oddometer:
    Folks...have a 17 dct farkled up w about 22k on the clock....am intrigued by the 20 full boat manual....electronic suspension, huge range, heated grips, cruise control and lighter? Nice...I'd put more trail centric rubber but mostly commute back and forth to work and I only get dirty on the weekends.

Question is...would you do it again? Happy w your decision?
  18. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've wondered the same to myself. My answer that I will not as my AT is good at where it takes me. Have had long days in the seat slabbing it, riding dirt roads, and along Jeep trails.

Three years and 21k miles this week.

An occasional dry creek bed too!
    IMG_20200802_100107710.jpg

strommonster likes this.
  19. Chuster47

Chuster47 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!!
    How's everything? I've been checking this forum recently, and It's possible that my father will be able to join you as the happy owner of a new standard Crf 1100. He's coming from a 2019 ATAS, but it was so heavy and tall for him...
    Maybe you've already talk about it, but... would it be possible to fit the rear crf 1100 ATAS' seat to the standard version? Has any of you already done it? My father uses to travel with mum, and I find more confortable the rear seat in the ATAS version...
    I will be very grateful to know that info!! Thank you so much in advance!!
    Best regards,
    Chuster
  20. 2on2off

Oddometer:

If I understand your question correctly you want to fit a 2020 ATAS seat on a 2020 CRF1100 Standard. I looked up some of the part numbers and there are different part numbers between the different models. Probably have to talk to a Honda shop parts guy.