2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you realized how easy it is to hit your legs with the footpegs? It's not because the position on the bike (back or front). It's because the lower part of the frame is too wide, and then the footpeg mounting bracket make the pegs even wider. So, honda had to fit tiny pegs and use the peg mounts as space for your foot.
    I bought some hand made wider pegs (Let's say KTM standard size). They stick out so much that it's almost impossible to stop at a trafic light without hitting your legs against them.
    If you can test it before buying, maybe you can save a few bucks.
    jamboa and windowto like this.
  2. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your feedback.

I have removed the rubber pads on the stock foot pegs and have been trying this solution out. So far, I find this setup is more comfortable while standing up and I may just leave the stock pegs on. Stock foot pegs without the rubber inserts isn't bad. While sitting this setup is also very good.
    windowto likes this.
  3. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I have ordered a black Alt Rider skid plate. It only takes the right rock at the wrong time to cause damage to the stock skid plate and potentially, the oil pan. They will have them in stock by the end of next week when they will be shipping mine so I should be able to share some pictures of it in a couple of weeks. I installed one on my 2016 AT and it worked well.

This new Alt Rider skid plate is compatible with the stock Honda center stand which I have installed. By the way......the stock Honda center stand on my 2020 AT Standard is easier to use and requires less effort than my 2017 BMW R1200GS center stand and I'm very happy about that.
    windowto likes this.
  4. Aviador

Aviador Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. IdealPragmatist

IdealPragmatist Oxymoronic by definition

Oddometer:
    Well, time for an update for those following. The 2-3 months for the fuel pump that was on backorder turned out to be more like a month. Not good but not nearly as bad as I was told. I had already done a pretty good job of cleaning out the tank myself while waiting for the pump, but I let them give it another go at scrubbing/flushing (3 times according to the work order). New pump in and bike back to me this past Saturday. I'll probably still do the Guglatech here soon as it just sounds like a good idea.

I'm ready to do some riding...as soon as our record heatwave gives us a break here in the hottest city in the U.S. :hair
  6. Grumpee

Grumpee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi

Has anybody experienced the front end bounce on the 2020 models as mentionned by owners of previous years?

Thanks for your input,
  7. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you are referring to. Post a link to the comments about the front end bounce on prior models. I have my suspension compression set to the softest setting and it is working ok for me. I miss my R1200GS Rally dynamic suspension but like the DCT and 21" front wheel more.
  8. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also not sure what you're referring to... the only bike I've had an issue with frontend bounce on was my F800GS and this bike doesn't suffer in the same way.
  9. Grumpee

Grumpee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    To be fair, I have seen front end bounce issues reported on many bikes with 21" front wheels. The Tiger 900 being the most recent. Had it on my 250L Rally. Have not noticed it on my '18 AT though I bet with a particular tire and suspension setting it would be present. Also, given the number of Africa Twin's sold if the problem was prevelant I think that thread would be longer than 4 pages.
    Grumpee likes this.
  11. Aviador

Aviador Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No front wheel bounces so far on my ATAS2020. But tbh, I think most of the issues regarding bounces are related to a not proper balancing while installing new tires
  12. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    No front wheel bounce on my 2020 AT Standard DCT.
  13. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Installed my Altrider Skidplate. The instructions say to use heavy grease to hold the long spacers in place while installing. That didn’t work for me so I glued them in place and then the install was easy.

Washers I glued:
    Adjustments.jpg

The parts:
    Adjustments.jpg
    Stock vs Altrider Skidplate:
    Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg
    Adjustments.jpg
    Adjustments.jpg
    Adjustments.jpg
    Adjustments.jpg
    Adjustments.jpg
    NSFW, misterk, Grumpee and 7 others like this.
  14. Grumpee

Grumpee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I went for it Wednesday, got the bike yesterday, ditched work and it’s got 500 km tonight

A72663C9-8325-4652-9E88-F3D1FA3E46DA.jpeg
  15. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda Radiator Guards and Crash Bars going on today!
    IMG_7716.jpg
    IMG_7717.jpg
  16. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_7719.jpg
    dirtmech likes this.
  17. txfalls

txfalls n00b

Oddometer:
    Update on a few of my updates.

Got the rear luggage rack for my 2020 Standard, I was going to powder coat, but gave up waiting and just sprayed it instead.

Installed the Outback Motertek Lower Crash Bars and Engine Guards. Initially I reinstalled the OEM skid plate (had to modify very slightly), but then in talking with the OM guys found out they did have skid plates available, just not on website as they only work with their bars. So ordered the skid and got that installed as well.

Finally, I’ve been watching for the SW-Motech sidestand foot to be available and got lucky enough to get one delivered much more quickly than estimated.

I also picked up a Green Chili Adventure Gear soft rack / strap kit to help strap down my camping gear. Still working out bag options, etc., but very happy with the test layouts I’ve done. I’ll post a few shots after I break it in on my next trip.

IMG_2932.JPG IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2937.JPG
    EmmEff, Grumpee, 2on2off and 2 others like this.
  18. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Squadron Sports with a Skene Lights controller. Set up to run at 20% all the time and go full with high beam switch, and they strobe if you double-tab the high beams. Bit of a trick to setup after I found out that our bikes use ground to trigger the headlights, and the Skene wants a positive trigger. IMG_7781.jpg
    IMG_7782.jpg
    staedtler, Motorwerx and windowto like this.
  19. Grumpee

Grumpee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Country roads this morning....what a great motorcycle
    9A23574E-4E80-4D7C-ACB2-A08723EA022A.jpeg 46561E33-F16A-4851-B6E6-03EC4F603A2F.jpeg 4D230205-7413-4C3F-AF75-538D36712619.jpeg
    NSFW, TMORAN, Motorwerx and 2 others like this.
  20. mon450

mon450 n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone changed just the headers but maintains the original muffler? By removing the cat, how does the engine feel and rides? Any alarm light on the dash?

I like the original muffler, the new Akrapovic looks too Long and arrow and Akrapovic sell the headers which are compatible with the original muffler.