2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. fnatic

fnatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey was thinking the same thing, currently looking into this option as well....

Also wondering if the headers would fit with either a MotoTek or Altrider Bash plate, but the stock catalytic converter is so big I think it would, might just be an issue with pipes being larger diameter.... (Anyone know if bashplates fit ?)
  2. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea how it would really feel power-wise, but removing the cats wouldn’t trigger any lights/warnings since there is no downstream O2/AF sensor on our bikes. The PCM wouldn’t know the difference. That being said, I’m well versed in the emissions benefits of having cats, and don’t feel like a potential few extra HP is worth the additional tailpipe emissions...but that’s just me, and to each their own.
    EmmEff likes this.
  3. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    AT always had an O2 sensor before the CAT.
    Current model adds 2 more- one on each header pipe.
    So, you do the math on how well the 3rd party vendors have kept up with Honda R&D, lol
  4. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you’re getting at, I was just taking about removal of the cats themselves not triggering the MIL, not aftermarket R&D. Keeping the two upstream A/F sensors in a new headpipe wouldn’t exactly be rocket surgery though.
  5. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    New chain, sprockets, air filters, brake pads, fluids and first valve check done at 24k km. All valve clearances were in spec.
    I think I'll skip the 50k km valve check.

The shop also changed all the spark plugs despite it not being on the original work order. I wasn't impressed with that one. Extra $200.
    The service manual doesn't call for replacement until 48k and even then I doubt its really necessary.
    Myers79 likes this.
  6. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fact that it was $200 extra for plugs is ridiculous. Being deep enough for a valve adjustment, it would only take moments for plug labor. I almost feel like most shops would include it...and only charge for parts at that point.
    windowto likes this.
  7. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    The plugs were $145 for 4 ($36 eack) and I think couple of rubber collars as well? So I think it might have been more like an extra $180 with tax.
  8. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh. Makes sense. Gotta love that retail price. ;)
  9. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha yeah first and last time going to the dealer for servicing. The community workspaces I would normally use are closed due to covid and I live in a condo building with super strict rules about doing work in the parking garage.

The guys did good work. The bike looks and feels great. But I'm not a wealthy man. Lol
  10. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out for a nice week-long ride on the AT this week. Noticed today after remounting the boxes after doing some trails and noticed one of the top case Mount plate “pegs” missing. These pegs were pre-installed on the plate, and of course I didn’t check them or add loctite like I should have. These are the Honda Accessory boxes. Has anyone lost one and managed to order a replacement? Already checked the install instructions and dealer and can’t find a listing for an individual part number for them. IMG_7984.jpg
  11. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are standard Givi mono-key mounts. So I'd look there -- there are a few places that have all the parts for that plate. Depends on where you live and shipping.
  12. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    GIVI E115F Junction Kit, Black, 40 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWS79X1/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_ZDCDFbZDWSGQK
    Myers79 likes this.
  13. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Thank you!
  14. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. txfalls

txfalls n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at the various designs available. I like where BDCW in one of their designs had the pegs surround the mount point to better support the inside of the foot. However, if you look at the images on their site, it seems the design was updated to remove that wrap-around.

[​IMG]
  16. StinkyCheese

StinkyCheese Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just bought ‘20 Adv Sport ES today. What a great bike!
  17. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s it for riding season. Had the new AT all over the fire roads up here in Alberta. Wonderful bike on both the pavement and off of it. Bikes up on the centre stands for winter. Spring only 6 months away.
    BDCD7F54-409C-47EB-91A6-5E8223EF06EB.jpeg
  18. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just passed 7000km today while exploring the backroads of southern Ontario. I’m not sure how much riding is left this season but I think I’ll get out another time or two.

Love this bike! Today’s ride further confirmed my need for more aggressive tires. Lots of upgrades planned over the winter
  19. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    Anyone give the 1100 a top speed test?
  20. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer: