2020 CRF 1100L Africa Twin Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. NextTime

NextTime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best I could do it 124mph but my load is about 220lbs.
  2. Silverback3

Silverback3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got a standard model with manual trans. I'm in WNC. Thanks everyone for the great information shared here.

Attached Files:

3. IdealPragmatist

IdealPragmatist Oxymoronic by definition

Oddometer:
    So now that more accessories are becoming available, what's everyone doing for crash bar systems (upper, lower, engine guards) for the ATAS ES DCT. I've received the Honda OEM engine guard but it's still in the box waiting for the light bar (as they call the crash bars) and required bracket that have been on backorder for 5 months now. Starting to think I may cancel that backorder, return the engine guard and go with another manufacturer.
    Myers79 likes this.
  4. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went with Outback kit.
    C5A3569D-EF99-42FD-B1EC-D723D0B3F78E.jpeg
  5. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The white power coated bars and pan look great! Excellent choice!
    PomInOz_, Baldy and IdealPragmatist like this.
  6. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with the OEM ones, and like them. They just seem cleaner than aftermarket options, but I’m sure they won’t do as well in a drop, though. Instead of waiting for them to come off back order I ordered them from the Africa Twin Shop in France. They came in about a week. I am however still waiting on the engine guard from Honda US for about 2 moths now. They keep pushing back the back order date on me. I ended up using SW Motec clamps with Baja Designs lights.
  7. kymbo

kymbo kymbo

Oddometer:
    G,day all took my new crf 1100 break inn ride today , is it me or is seat a bit hard lacks bit more foam .cheers
  8. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    As far as seats go it's always you. One persons cushy couch is another person’s instrument of torture. Mine was just right, but that’s just me.
    jamboa likes this.
  9. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    So Honda dropped this off in my driveway hoping I'll do a YouTube review of it.

IMG_7662.jpg IMG_7663.jpg

Liking it a lot so far. The clutch housing on the right side so close to my shin crowds me a little and throws off some heat.

I'd love to get some owner impressions, why you decided on it, yada. Anyone up for a Zoom?
  10. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    I'm in on a Zoom.
    Eastwood likes this.
  11. Eastwood

Eastwood Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I discovered what some of you guys are talking about with the fuel starvation problem today. My buddy @buddha and I left NC Saturday and rode the Natchez Trace from top to bottom (Tennessee to Mississippi) over the past few days. I’ve had no problems until today. We left Mississippi and headed toward Alabama to see the Barber Motorsports museum. Just outside the Alabama line we were both low on fuel and decided to stop get fuel and take a break. Before we could get to the exit the bike started cutting out. It wouldn’t take any throttle. Fuel was low but no fuel light (guessing it has a low fuel light). Just did make it to the station on the edge of the road. Fueled up, got back on the road 10 minutes later. No problems until just outside Tuscaloosa. Then while in the left lane with plenty of traffic it cut out again. Not off just no power and no throttle. I’m glad the traffic around me was paying attention when I hit my hazard lights and pulled to the side of the road. Limped it a mile to the next exit on the shoulder and started making calls. My dealer didn’t have an answer and we were 600+ miles apart anyway. The closest dealership couldn’t look at it so we called Honda and tried to troubleshoot the problem. They said maybe bad gas but I knew that wasn’t the case since @buddha wasn’t having a problem at all. Let it cool down, filled it up with gas again (had 3/4 tank when it happened) and took our time, nice and easy, to get to our hotel in Birmingham. So now we are here and have a friend driving around 8 hours to come and pick me up on a trailer because I don’t trust riding it any farther. 4734 miles on the bike. I was hoping I had missed the tank issue but no. So disappointed. E2727376-7D66-4480-91F4-032A5F4EAC0A.jpeg
  12. Eastwood

Oddometer:
    @Baldy I would be in on the Zoom.
    Baldy likes this.
  13. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That really sucks....
    johnnywheels, Baldy and Eastwood like this.
  14. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    How about 10 a.m. Pacific tomorrow? You'd join with two or three others of us and we could have a group hug. :-)
    Eastwood likes this.
  15. Eastwood

Oddometer:
    I’ll do my best in the cab of my buddy’s truck.:lol3
  16. Chief645

Chief645 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    sirvelo and Grumpee like this.
  17. Chief645

Chief645 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I acquired my 2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport ES with the DCT transmission back on the third of July. I have really enjoyed the bike until now. It is the first Honda that I have ever purchased; I've been riding BMWs since 1979. I started experiencing the fuel problem at around 3700 miles. I was 300 miles from home when it occurred. It is extremely dangerous to lose power on the highway, especially in traffic! It has been back at the dealer for two weeks now awaiting a new fuel pump. They say the ETA for the new fuel pump is the end of November. This is NOT the kind of dependability and service that I expected from Honda. I am going to share this information with my Honda dealer and discus their plans to remedy the problem.
  18. PomInOz_

PomInOz_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If doing a review I'd be keen to hear how the DCT does off road. Gravel fireroads, long sandy desert tracks etc. Recently buying a scooter, the DCT intrigues me especially on long journeys as the scooter is so easy to ride and I don't miss ability to downshift etc when accelerating. I know there's some disadvantages i.e. no clutch for doing hill recovery to act as a brake but wonder how it does on sand when need to keep revs high etc.
    Baldy likes this.
  19. Myers79

Myers79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I get in the sand I keep it in manual mode so I can keep the revs where I want them. Also you can tap the shift buttons at anytime in auto to bump down a gear or two for a pass or going into a corner.
    Baldy likes this.
  20. fnatic

fnatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone experienced this pump failure on the standard AT or is it exclusively on the ATAS that we know of?
    merc16 likes this.